General Movies & TV Thread | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just to keep this brief without rehashing a tired debate: Boyega has said that he wasn't satisfied with the arc of his character over the trilogy and felt like there was too much of a focus on Rey and Kylo Ren at the expense of everyone else. I can only assume that he thinks his role in Last Jedi was where he personally felt most wasted as from that point forward, Finn pretty much just wandered around everywhere asking for Rey.
TLJ is one of two movies starring John Boyega that is any good, and actually put Finn’s character on a path.

It’s just that an actual good Star Wars movie and not glorified fan fiction broke people’s brains in 2018 and the Rise of Skywalker wasted everything good TLJ set up.

TLJ is one of two movies starring John Boyega that is any good, and actually put Finn’s character on a path.

It’s just that an actual good Star Wars movie and not glorified fan fiction broke people’s brains in 2018 and the Rise of Skywalker wasted everything good TLJ set up.
The Last Jedi is just so good. I've watched it most out of the movies in the sequel trilogy by far. Rogue One is the other Disney-era Star Wars movie I put on every once in awhile.

I haven't watched The Rise of Skywalker since I walked out of that then-CityWalk AMC as disappointed as i've ever walked out of a theater. I have no intention of reliving that movie or how horribly the Saga ended due to the decisions made that lead to a movie of such poor caliber.

Reactions: Grabnar
Got my tickets to Barbie tomorrow night! We've got a drive-in in town that has a 50s themed grill attached, should be a good time.

If the screen's ok I think I may go see Oppenheimer there too, as blasphemous as that is

The Last Jedi is just so good. I've watched it most out of the movies in the sequel trilogy by far. Rogue One is the other Disney-era Star Wars movie I put on every once in awhile.

I haven't watched The Rise of Skywalker since I walked out of that then-CityWalk AMC as disappointed as i've ever walked out of a theater. I have no intention of reliving that movie or how horribly the Saga ended due to the decisions made that lead to a movie of such poor caliber.
Even going back to TFA, especially after watching the OG trilogy, Andor, and Rogue One just kind of stinks. It floats by on really likable leads, but that’s about all it has going for it.

Even going back to TFA, especially after watching the OG trilogy, Andor, and Rogue One just kind of stinks. It floats by on really likable leads, but that’s about all it has going for it.
TFA will always be an okay movie, but it's not 2015 anymore. In 2015, everyone went crazy for TFA bc it was like watching A New Hope all over again hitting all of those same beats. Then add on Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Chewie had relatively substantive roles in the film and the film ended with a Luke Skywalker cliffhanger? Talk about hitting you with all the memberberries.

It worked in TFA in 2015. Upon rewatches, it doesn't hold up, especially when LucasFilm has created significantly better content under Disney (I'd put at least S2 of Mando ahead of TFA). Rogue One, Andor, TLJ all feel very much more like it's made for someone who appreciates a more mature style of Star Wars in that it's not just about making a joke or taking the easy way out, but making what may be considered an unpopular decision and killing off a fan favorite character because the story calls for it and doing it masterfully (TLJ) or creating a Star Wars that's written in the vein of Succession (Andor).

Episode 9 is the most interesting but it comes out of no where, with zero set up.

It's like these directors want hero's to just become depressed

As someone on a YT video pointed out, all this character work is done off screen last time we see Luke and them they are happy but now suddenly off screen they have all become just worst versions of themselves.

At least Lando kinda got a happy ending but man....to force him to look for his daughter for like 20 years makes me think who ever made the sequels just hated the OT characters.

I hope the new Rey Film works, but I have zero interest in watching 7-9 ever again. Each one makes up something that doesn't make any sense with the tone/themes/story of the other films.
The Prequels have some huge faults but at least we got a tone of new lore, characters and some of the best action and the music was top tier.

I know I will probably never see it in my lifetime, but the last few years I’ve reallllly been hoping they would come out with a sort of

Star Wars:The Last Movie Ever!(No Really We Are No Longer Making Star Wars Movies After This)

Apple TV is easily my favorite service right now. They have a lot of good shows that are putting out.
Im so hyped for Napoleon. Anything with Joaquin Phoenix you know he's going to be all in on- but that trailer is something else. Can't wait.

Honestly, from everything that was described to me I expect horrible word of mouth from anyone taking their kid to see it.
Now you have my curiosity.
Seeing as your kid(s?) are now coming into that "more aware" stage- if no one has pointed you in the direction of Common Sense Media, you should def. check it out before taking kids to movies depending on what you want or don't want them exposed to. They'll rate role models, tell you the curse words, tell you what type of sex or nudity is involved, drugs/drinking/smoking, etc.

And they'll give "recommended ages" based on the content (They have it at 11+) and you can rate it as a parent or a child also. Parents seem to think it's more geared for 13+ but that obviously changes per parent.

I just saw Oppenheimer and I am still in awe.
I once played David Tressel Griggs in The Case Oppenheimer by Heinar Kipphardt, a play that is all about the tribunal that in the end decided to not give Oppenheimer his security clearance in 1954. He was not in the movie as the play alone is 3 hours long it would make the run time even longer and that is fine but I have quite some knowledge being in it for many weeks on end. And still I learned a lot of things about Oppenheimer and the people surrounding him.
The acting is on another level. I mean Robert Downey jr. is great in the Marvel movies but his acting skills go far beyond that and he is, like every actor, amazing.
I have nothing negative to say about the movie.

But I have a problem with some of the very load noises that sometimes come very sudden. It didn't give a problem with the dialog but it's a problem because I am hyper sensitive for it. I once had to try pain medications that would do "something in my central nervous system" and could help with the amount of pain I constantly was in. It was during new years eve and leading up to that period and unfortunately youth does go around using loud firework in that month. It resulted in unprecedented fear in my brain and I had to stop the medication and had to start taking large doses of morphine. Unfortunately sudden loud noises still are wired in my brain creating fear and a feeling of being not safe. Again this is a me thing and I hope no one else will have to carry that burden. Can't wait to see it on Blu-ray in the future so I can control the sound level lol.
One last minor complain: Whatever Cillian Murphy is saying when he teaches in Dutch, it's not Dutch :lmao:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerroddragon
halfway through barbenheimmer and so far, very good. barbie is extremely fun and I'm going to have at least one of the musical numbers stuck in my head at least until oppenheimer destroys my soul.

Agreed, when it comes to Andor and Rogue One they hold up pretty nicely, especially with the angle and tone they're going for. And amongst the many things Rogue One gives us, it's Vader in his most terrifying moment. I will never forget watching this opening weekend in a packed theater, and the crowd going from "Yay!" to "Oh...SH!T" in a matter of seconds.

Saw "Oppenheimer" in 70 at Disney Springs in a full theater. After the movie, people had gathered together to discuss what they just saw. The last time I ever saw that happen was in 1968 at the Capitol in NYC. ("2001" of course). Its an amazing piece of work, although we're sticking with Nolan never able to tell a linear story/ But I like the way you saw hits of what was to come and see it come together

Saw Oppenheimer in IMAX this morning and just got back from seeing Barbie this afternoon. Both amazing. Oppenheimer definitely tops it though. Nolan still has this weird fetish for screwing with narrative structure, but holy hell the sound design and acting were amazing. Incredible.

Barbie was just madcap hilarity and of course Ryan Gosling kills it as Ken. Margot Robbie gives an amazing and kind of heartbreaking performance as well. It definitely subverted my expectations of what it would be in the best way possible.

Was worried how the tone shift between seeing Oppenheimer and Barbie on the same day would affect me. Turns out just seeing two wonderful films back to back just made me happy that great cinema still exists.

Saw Barbie last night, really liked it. I think I’d rate it an 8/10 overall. It was more subversive than I expected anything Mattel would sign off on

IMG_5508.jpeg
At the drive-in tonight to see Oppenheimer the way Nolan intended; poorly lit, interrupted by flashes of headlights, and over my car stereo.

Reactions: Legacy and Jake S