Ghostbusters: Afterlife | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just as with the second trailer, keeping my eyes and ears closed with this final trailer. I've already read some comments that it's spoiled some aspects of the film. Without having seen it I would guess it likely lays it pretty thick with the reveal of the OG crew (which I already know is happening as should probably anyone even remotely interested in the movie).

That said my body and mind are ready for the first showing I can grab my grubby hands on in less than two weeks. It's going to be a surreal moment for me as a lifelong GB fan. Even snagged a GB advent calendar and have been opening it up leading up to my first showing. Doesn't get better than this!

This movie is fantastic. I went in with limited expectations, and I am floored with how well put together this thing is.This is absolutely one of the best long-sequels / reboots in recent memory. The actors playing the children were the highlight of the whole movie for me, I was seriously impressed with their comedic timing and overall acting chops. I was laughing out loud quite a bit throughout. I noticed from several reviews that people disliked
that the conflict of the film is essentially the same conflict as the original 1984 film? That is like complaining that the dinosaurs escape again in Jurassic World. I truly don’t know what anyone expected there, it’s a Ghostbusters movie!
If you are a GB fan, this movie feels like it is made especially for you in the best possible way. It is definitely its own story while paying great tributes to the stories that came before it. I really hope that it does well in the box office, because this film was very special and something that everyone can benefit from experiencing. (Also, there are two post credits scenes that you cannot miss!)

First off, take my review with this grain of salt: I love Ghostbusters. I grew up watching the first two films and I only fell deeper in love with them as an adult. I have the uniform. I have the proton pack. I have the no ghost logo tattooed on my shoulder. I don't really know what they could have made in terms of a film that continues the original world of GB and not have me love it. I have a similar love for Indiana Jones and I'll sing praises for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull so that's just where I'm coming from.

Preface out of the way, I adore GB: Afterlife. This is the continuation of a once in a lifetime magical amalgamation of creative and comedic forces that has rarely happened on the level of the original GB. Afterlife is a funny and heartfelt riot of a romping adventure that sprinkles in a lot of that magical Ghostbusters seasoning into its run time. Right off the rip, the main cast of younger actors does a phenomenal job. Finn Wolfhard, Logan Kim and Celeste O'Connor all bring such great acting ability along with superb comedic timing to the movie but McKenna Grace steals. the. entire. damn. show. She is not only the central protagonist (though naturally being a GB film, ideas of "team" are always strong) but she delivers such a ridiculously excellent performance as Pheobe that she deserves any and every good thing in life, like, ever. She both channels Harold Ramis as well as creating a wonderful new character that just feels "right". Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd are great as the supporting "liable adult" characters but man do these kids absolutely shine here. Outside the cast, the direction is slick and action packed, the score features a slew of classical GB tracks that reverberate and mutate just enough to keep things fresh. The nostalgia call backs feel natural, for the most part, though there are a few here and there that feel slightly stuffed in just for the sake of "oh, that was a thing!" but I don't think the film suffers from putting everything with a GB logo on it on a pedestal at all. Plot wise, I absolutely loved it. If you do want something fresh and original in a GB film, you may be disappointed but after such a long time away from these characters I do personally feel that "revisiting" this story works well in this context.

Going in I expected to end up crying at some point during the run time and sure enough I had tears streaming down my face by the time the credits started rolling. One shot in particular absolutely ruined me and made my little fanboy heart nearly explode in joy. This is a film franchise put into such capable and loving hands that have created a film that loves and rejoices in its past yet has created the basis of a future that is so exponentially bright and great.

I'll probably post a more spoiler heavy thought later because if you don't have much insight into the film but are a fan you should go in as dark as possible, the punch will be that much more knock out worthy. I'm so glad I didn't see the final trailers, there was so much I didn't see coming that surprised me in a gleeful manner.

4.5/5 for me. Nothing will ever be able to top the magical storm that was GB84 but as far as a legacy sequel goes, this one is one damn big Twinkie of a film.

Quick note this movie was incredible, the only thing I feel that it took too long to get to the final act, but overall it made sense in the context of the story.

If you don't cry at some point in this movie then you were never a real GB fan, that is all, go watch the movie, its awesome.

this movie is definitely a good and perfect continuation and book end to the first one. it faithfully follows and finishes everything the first one set up. it isn't even a sequel but a continuation, like if this and the first movie were a 4 hour movie with a time jump. more than a sequel, it feels like the next season of a show in how well it follows everything they set up in ghostbusters 1.

Podcast made me laugh the most. he was the best one for the humor. he was the most likable. he was great. I really liked Phoebe, she was prefect in the role. really nice connections and nods with her family.
Finn Wolfhard didn't do as much and he was missing for a lot of it, his subplot is kinda wasted, Paul rudd was funny and I liked what they do with him. he was perfect t too.

the only drawbacks is that it is a little slow and takes like 45 minutes to get going. I can see casual viewers getting tired by how slow it starts, and takes a while to develop. takes a slow burn.
another is that it gets too serious and not a lot of humor like the first. it's more darker and serious so i can see that bothering some people. they take the mythology of the first one but took it to serious maybe,

personally I liked it but I'm not sure if I would give it repeat viewings. it feels like a once off.
it's super 8 combined with stranger things. I might wanna rewatch the last 30 minutes over and over.
I definitely want to see the end repeatedly.

2016 gb was all humor and improv and didn't take the mythology seriously. lots and lots of ghosts, lots of jokes, big special effects, big fights, colorful, this is the exact opposite. literal opposite.

Last edited:
Pretty fun movie, despite some glaring plot holes. Overall, I found it to be a loving tribute to Harold Ramis, but didn’t think it was better or worse than the 2016 reboot attempt - both are equally as good IMO.

The highlight of the movie is Carrie Coon and McKenna Grace’s acting. They really sell the story and without them, I think this would have been a lot worse - so kudos to casting for finding the right leads. Logan Kim also did an excellent job as comic relief.