Ghostbusters: Afterlife | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Eh. It still looks better than the 2016 Ghostbusters film.

I think it looks decent but I'm sure if I was a kid I'd love the young kid ensemble more because hey kids can relate to kids. Maybe it's their way of making it more of a family film.
Yeah. 2016 version was a pretty low bar to jump/crawl over . :lol:

Yeah. 2016 version was a pretty low bar to jump/crawl over . :lol:
The 2016 version gets unfairly crapped on a lot. It wasn't nearly as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be.

This feels like a reverse 21 Jump Street, where you take an irreverent adult comedy and turn it into a takes-itself-too-seriously Y.A. drama.

Has Hollywood forgotten the original was written as a vehicle for SNL alums and a couple SCTV guys, not by Spielberg?
Everything has to be a big blockbuster these days to try to catch peoples attention, and they don't always succeed even at that.

Look at Snake Eyes - the movie cost $80M + Marketing and brought in only $13M+ on it's opening weekend. The trailers were big and flashy for that movie too and imo they were pretty good. But I just didn't care about seeing a Snake Eyes movie, just like I don't care about seeing this movie, just like I don't care about seeing something like The Tomorrow War or Without Remorse on Amazon.

The Hollywood machine is pushing too hard to pump out these big, expensive blockbusters when I think a lot of people just want to watch more of those mid-budget type of films (AQP2 falls into this category - a cheap film that makes a lot of money and audiences love). I also think they've forgotten along the way that audiences want to laugh as the comedy genre really seems to have died out.

This feels like a reverse 21 Jump Street, where you take an irreverent adult comedy and turn it into a takes-itself-too-seriously Y.A. drama.

Has Hollywood forgotten the original was written as a vehicle for SNL alums and a couple SCTV guys, not by Spielberg?

Yeah no this is the sequel to a movie where Dan Akyroyd gets a ghost job and a "ghostjob." It shouldn't look like the Force Awakens. And yet...

Ouch...tough room this morning!:shrug:

I really enjoyed this trailer, much better than the other, fleshed out the story (not too much though), the connection to the original movie, before my interest was minimal, I'm now fully looking forward to it!
I appreciate it because it’s paying homage without trying to do the same thing again with a new cast (which is where the 2016 reboot fell short to me). I’m very excited for this, probably Top 5 most anticipated for the rest of the year and that’s saying something given how much is coming out.

Reactions: knoxmyers
The 2016 version gets unfairly crapped on a lot. It wasn't nearly as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be.

mmm...it has really bad improv that goes on for too long and i feel like everyone tries to outfunny each other.
the plot itself is pretty fine, but i feel like they ruined it by trying to add too many improv moments ( i mean, theres a 4 hour version of the movie of improv lol)
the original had humor, yes, but had a lot of smaller serious and even horror moments. Bill murray is the class clown, yes (never serious) but original ghostbusters had darker scenes like this ( which the 2016 GB never had)

I actually personally prefer "takes-itself-too-seriously Y.A. drama." over what 2016 GB did.
everyone in 2016 GB tried to be Venkman with the jokes. i have high hopes for this. i think these kids are gonna do great. i think they will be like Goonies but with ghosts, which could be great

Reactions: belloq87
mmm...it has really bad improv that goes on for too long and i feel like everyone tries to outfunny each other.
the plot itself is pretty fine, but i feel like they ruined it by trying to add too many improv moments ( i mean, theres a 4 hour version of the movie of improv lol)
the original had humor, yes, but had a lot of smaller serious and even horror moments. Bill murray is the class clown, yes (never serious) but original ghostbusters had darker scenes like this ( which the 2016 GB never had)
That's a fine opinion to have, but back when it was released, it was sort of the cool thing to do to hate on the movie for whatever reason. It's not even a critically panned movie as it stands at 74% on RT and it was review bombed (much like The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi) so the only measure to go by for what audiences thought of it is by it's CinemaScore, which was a B+. That certainly means the movie could've been better, but it's also not terrible. For reference, the two most recent movies with a B+ CinemaScore are Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It and F9.

I'm not saying the movie was great, it just wasn't absolutely terrible.

That's a fine opinion to have, but back when it was released, it was sort of the cool thing to do to hate on the movie for whatever reason. It's not even a critically panned movie as it stands at 74% on RT and it was review bombed (much like The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi) so the only measure to go by for what audiences thought of it is by it's CinemaScore, which was a B+. That certainly means the movie could've been better, but two most recent movies with a B+ CinemaScore are Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It and F9.

I'm not saying the movie was great, it just wasn't absolutely terrible.

yeah i know there were some culture wars over the movie (like Star Wars) but watching the movie now after the drama passed, they really do try to outfunny each other in every scene. I feel like they had a really strong script for 2016, but then they tried to add too many funny lines that went nowhere. im mentioning GN 2016 specifically because i am seeing people say that this new one is too serious, and i think they did that as a response to the 2016, which was trying to be funny in every scene.

The 2016 movie is not a bad mid-2010s comedy if that's all you're looking at it as...

... but it is a bad GHOSTBUSTERS movie. The style of humor is all wrong (GB's humor is dry and sarcastic, not dependent on extended riffs), and the paranormal threat/lore is not taken nearly seriously enough. And the main characters in GB feel like real people that could exist (especially Dana, who has no similar "emotional anchor" counterpart in '16), whereas the characters in the '16 are much more broad movie creations.

I'm totally fine with AFTERLIFE going for more of a Spielbergian supernatural adventure movie vibe. After '16, I'd rather them err towards too serious than too goofy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky Planet
so the toys from this movie are revealing a huge surprise. a spoiler. huge surprise when i saw the toys. a happy surprise. ( I just saw them online)

I'm not going to watch the second trailer because I want as much of the movie to be fresh for my eyeballs the first time I see it (not to mention I already know most of what the second trailer reveals) but I don't have a problem with Afterlife being forged in a mold of an 80's Spielberg adventure that might lean a little more serious and heartfelt than deadpan comedic force.

The original film is such a masterful confluence of comedic talent that you're not going to ever be able to replicate it's master class presence. You're just not. So I have no problem going a different direction and I actually really appreciate that they are going a different direction in Afterlife. It would be so, so easy to just roll out the tired idea of 'new team of young comedians are the next generation of GBs and get saved/trained by the original gang'. I'm glad we're not getting that for a multitude of reasons. Grandsons of an original team member, a single mother, family lineage, living up to a legacy; those are much more interesting topics to delve into in the framing of a GB movie. If Afterlife has heart and passion behind it, I think it'll resonate with a lot of people and given the talent on both sides of the camera, I think it'll be a great film.

That said, take my opinion with a gigantic grain of salt. Ghostbusters touched my soul when I was little and it's one of my favorite franchises in the entirety of cinematic history. It speaks to me on so many levels, so chances are I'm more than a little biased towards any GB property that is developed. I enjoyed Answer the Call but there was so much untapped potential there and it just wasn't handled with the care the brand deserves, IMO.

I'm not going to watch the second trailer because I want as much of the movie to be fresh for my eyeballs the first time I see it (not to mention I already know most of what the second trailer reveals) but I don't have a problem with Afterlife being forged in a mold of an 80's Spielberg adventure that might lean a little more serious and heartfelt than deadpan comedic force.

The original film is such a masterful confluence of comedic talent that you're not going to ever be able to replicate it's master class presence. You're just not. So I have no problem going a different direction and I actually really appreciate that they are going a different direction in Afterlife. It would be so, so easy to just roll out the tired idea of 'new team of young comedians are the next generation of GBs and get saved/trained by the original gang'. I'm glad we're not getting that for a multitude of reasons. Grandsons of an original team member, a single mother, family lineage, living up to a legacy; those are much more interesting topics to delve into in the framing of a GB movie. If Afterlife has heart and passion behind it, I think it'll resonate with a lot of people and given the talent on both sides of the camera, I think it'll be a great film.

That said, take my opinion with a gigantic grain of salt. Ghostbusters touched my soul when I was little and it's one of my favorite franchises in the entirety of cinematic history. It speaks to me on so many levels, so chances are I'm more than a little biased towards any GB property that is developed. I enjoyed Answer the Call but there was so much untapped potential there and it just wasn't handled with the care the brand deserves, IMO.

think you made a wise choice .This trailer gave away a bit too much story for my tastes. Don't think I'll watch any of the others.
Movie does look good though.

think you made a wise choice .This trailer gave away a bit too much story for my tastes. Don't think I'll watch any of the others.
Movie does look good though.

It was a hard one to make, hah! I had my significant other screen it for me and they recommended staying away to keep fresh.

Which is going to be hard to do since I still vividly remember being in high school and utilizing my free time at the end of a computer typing class to watch the trailer for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull every single day until it was released!