Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (USH): Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (USH): Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree with this review a bit. The event has been on a steady decline, imo, since 2016 which was obviously such a great year. But imo, there was 2016 level great mazes 07-12 (16 just had the MOST of them). Then you'd have maybe 1 terrible maze from 12-15, but the rest were generally still pretty good. But from 2017 and on, however, the event has had weird budget cuts, plagued by poor scenic design with the black wall issue figuring tactics that worked in The Exorcist maze should work for every maze thereafter, and operational problems like the annoying line-cutting ticketing situation and now Express.

On opening weekend, I had the epiphany -- I don't enjoy waiting in these lines anymore, even with Early Entry. I'd rather buy Express, and whoever of my friends can't, then sadly that just means my group will be smaller. But the Express line has become such a soul sucking thing for everyone else not in it. If it wasn't because I planned 2 more additional trips with GA this year, I wouldn't come back to HHN without Express. When people had said that in the past, I honestly thought they were exaggerating. And to an extent, they were -- the event was fully possible as long as you got there early. The last 2-4 years, however...not so much.

So 2023 and onward, I may be only returning to this event one time a year, but now with Express.

....watch this be when Scream happens, I will throw a tantrum lmfao
Said this in another thread but if you go on Thursday/Sunday and hit the mazes at the right time (besides the weekend which you have to wait 60 mins for no matter what unless you have express) you can literally walk on all the other mazes.
I walked on Clowns as it opened, then Monsters was maybe a ten min wait, then you either hit La Llorina and hotel or Halloween and Scarecrow. and then the Tram. At least for me this year made me not need the express pass, unless there is an IP maze I love that is as popluar as the weekend/Stranger things/Ghost Busters

I agree with this review a bit. The event has been on a steady decline, imo, since 2016 which was obviously such a great year. But imo, there was 2016 level great mazes 07-12 (16 just had the MOST of them). Then you'd have maybe 1 terrible maze from 12-15, but the rest were generally still pretty good. But from 2017 and on, however, the event has had weird budget cuts, plagued by poor scenic design with the black wall issue figuring tactics that worked in The Exorcist maze should work for every maze thereafter, and operational problems like the annoying line-cutting ticketing situation and now Express.

On opening weekend, I had the epiphany -- I don't enjoy waiting in these lines anymore, even with Early Entry. I'd rather buy Express, and whoever of my friends can't, then sadly that just means my group will be smaller. But the Express line has become such a soul sucking thing for everyone else not in it. If it wasn't because I planned 2 more additional trips with GA this year, I wouldn't come back to HHN without Express. When people had said that in the past, I honestly thought they were exaggerating. And to an extent, they were -- the event was fully possible as long as you got there early. The last 2-4 years, however...not so much.

So 2023 and onward, I may be only returning to this event one time a year, but now with Express.

....watch this be when Scream happens, I will throw a tantrum lmfao
Honestly this year feels like the only way to get everything done is if you have express and even then some planning is required. Universal overselling express makes the entire event kinda suck for everyone. They could easily charge more and sell less express and make everything better for both express and standby.

Honestly this year feels like the only way to get everything done is if you have express and even then some planning is required. Universal overselling express makes the entire event kinda suck for everyone. They could easily charge more and sell less express and make everything better for both express and standby.
???

Source? I had express and besides one backed up line walked on everything. Not sure why you'd need a plan with express unless you have to get out of the park before 9 pm.

I did 5 mazes with general (including the tram) and then did all 9 mazes with express and was out by 11 PM

Said this in another thread but if you go on Thursday/Sunday and hit the mazes at the right time (besides the weekend which you have to wait 60 mins for no matter what unless you have express) you can literally walk on all the other mazes.
I walked on Clowns as it opened, then Monsters was maybe a ten min wait, then you either hit La Llorina and hotel or Halloween and Scarecrow. and then the Tram. At least for me this year made me not need the express pass, unless there is an IP maze I love that is as popluar as the weekend/Stranger things/Ghost Busters
I use to go Thursdays all the time, but unfortunately as my friends and I have gotten older, it's impossible now. Literally the ONLY day we can go is on Saturdays if we want to do early entry. We mostly work in the film industry or in education, so some of us aren't off until 7pm on a Friday.

I was able to do everything in one night no express pretty easily despite some BS. You just gotta not try to do all of the lower lot first, be at curious george mazes at 7, and do the upper lot mazes before tram.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
???

Source? I had express and besides one backed up line walked on everything. Not sure why you'd need a plan with express unless you have to get out of the park before 9 pm.

I did 5 mazes with general (including the tram) and then did all 9 mazes with express and was out by 11 PM
I had express but didnt start till 8 on Thursday. If you start at 5 or 6 with express then it should be easy. But that Halloween and scarecrow situation still sucks for express after 8 or 9. Anyway this year feels a lot different than other years with early entry.

The first night I went was the 2nd thursday and did everything with early entry but finished at 1AM. So sure you can get everything done on a thursday but planning is key at that point.

I use to go Thursdays all the time, but unfortunately as my friends and I have gotten older, it's impossible now. Literally the ONLY day we can go is on Saturdays if we want to do early entry. We mostly work in the film industry or in education, so some of us aren't off until 7pm on a Friday.
Fair, I know many refuse to go on other days. But after finally going on a Sunday....F Saturdays, lol.

I had express but didnt start till 8 on Thursday. If you start at 5 or 6 with express then it should be easy. But that Halloween and scarecrow situation still sucks for express after 8 or 9. Anyway this year feels a lot different than other years with early entry.

The first night I went was the 2nd thursday and did everything with early entry but finished at 1AM. So sure you can get everything done on a thursday but planning is key at that point.
Yeah, you have to get to the parks for early entry to make the most of the nights. While I know it will annoy many, if you can call in "sick" the next day HHN seems to be pretty do able on Sundays but you have to be there when it opens and either skip the Weekend or go on it later and wait.

While I know it will annoy many, if you can call in "sick" the next day HHN seems to be pretty do able on Sundays but you have to be there when it opens and either skip the Weekend or go on it later and wait.
So now we have to LOSE money just to attend HHN? LOL that's when Universal needs to know it's a problem. You gotta pay $74 to go and then if you work full time even with minimum wage, lose $120+ just so you can manage staying up late on a weekday. That makes Thursdays/Sundays nearly $200 for the privelage to have lines be maybe 25% less insane. Might as well spend the extra $100 and go on a Friday or Saturday with Express and have lines be 95% less insane.

Reactions: highdefrex
Yesterday was my fourth night at the event, and some of the mazes on my ranking list have swapped places.

8. KILLER KLOWNS (0)
Killer Klowns remains in last place because it is not scary in the slightest. The ending rooms are underwhelming but the maze does still have its charm.

7. HORROR HOTEL (0)
Haven't done it ever since my initial ranking post so cannot move up or down by default.

6. UNIVERSAL MONSTERS (-2)
I actually find this maze to be on the weaker side of the Universal Monsters mazes. Has some great props and sets, but it feels short and needs more double/triple scares. Also, the ending that is supposed to reveal the winning monster does not make sense at all.

5. HALLOWEEN (0)
This is a scary maze as all of the actors are aggressive as Myers should be. It does get repetitive but has some scares that get in your face.

4. WEEKND (-2)
Has some of the best sets and designs we have ever seen at the event and the music is awesome. But it always fails to scare me. It is barely hanging on to the top half.

3. BLUMHOUSE (+4)
One of the most intense mazes, actors go all-out although the maze layout isn't the scariest. This maze seems to impress me more and more every time I go through it. Freaky section is amazing, and Black Phone also has some great scenes. One of those mazes where even if you know a scare is coming, it still scares you. Unpopular opinion.

2. LA LLORONA (+1)
Fantastic scares, great sets, solid finale. This maze is so eerie it gives me the chills every time.

1. SCARECROW (0)
Great intensity and cast energy, phenomenal sets. Simply a masterpiece.

Reactions: Clive
Went last night and it is absolutely WILD the difference the newer game plan keeps you way ahead of the crowds. Either last night was empty (a supposedly sold out Saturday night) or I was just doing that good.

Got to Early Entry at 4pm. Nobody was there. There was ONE guy sitting in front of the turnstiles. So we made line to be first at another one. Crowds didn't really show up until 4:45pm. Shows the difference between the hardcore fanbase on opening weekend and just a random night afterward. Went straight for Killer Klowns and was one of the first 10-15 people in line. I also noticed The Weeknd line wasn't that long, but I wasn't about to chance it. Anyway, I'd rather get a repeat out of the way first.

KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE

Advertised Wait: Closed
Time in Line: 5:30
In the Maze: 6:03
Actual Wait: 3 mins

And yeah, what a total waste of time and space this was. Usually I try to be forgiving to the cast and blame a lot on design, operations, etc, but I just didn't see any effort in here. This was such a great maze a few years ago, what happened in that time? I'm guessing it's hot and the costumes are killer. I understand, but boy did the night start on such a wet fart.
F

UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: LEGENDS COLLIDE
Advertised Wait: Opens 6:15
Time in Line: 6:12
In the Maze: 6:26
Actual Wait: 11 mins

I was going to run upstairs, thinking I'd be behind on time, but the Universal Monsters line was SHORT. Figured I could do that with plenty of time to spare. And it was! Very quick wait. I was amazed how quick I was going already. But on to the maze. I think the maze is still in a very good space, but I can't help but feel like something is off about it. Maybe its the monster choices or the overall design, but it's just not as spooky as it could be. I really hope the maze continues to get great reviews so Universal knows to keep using their monsters, but also to know they need to stay on the cutting edge like they were with Bride of Frankenstein.
B-

HALLOWEEN
Advertised Wait: Opens 7:00
Time in Line: 6:50
In the Maze: 7:08
Actual Wait: 8 mins

Ran up and got in right before they opened Hogsmeade. I've never even seen them do that before. Went straight to Halloween because there's no way I am waiting in that Curious George parking garage ever again. Was right at the edge of it when I first got in line and I could feel the heat coming out. This maze slightly improved for me since last night. I noticed some things that were missing the first time, which was a trend for the night -- a lot of new effects that just weren't working or there opening night in all the mazes. So while I didn't absolutely hate this maze like I did my first run through, it still didn't feel like anything special. And Halloween should feel special.
C-

SCARECROW
Advertised Wait: 45 mins
Time in Line: 7:17
In the Maze: 7:30
Actual Wait: 13 mins

Even with a bathroom break before, the line still hadn't built up for this. As we were walking in, one of our friends literally just walked right back out. As soon as she knew the theme, she had no desire to be there, it was HILARIOUS. The cast in this maze was ROCKING and ON FIRE when we went through. They were just going insane and coming at us HARD. The cast was good before but it was insane how good they were last night, just elevating every scene to be that much more scary. I still do think there's a little left to be desired in the design and the scare placements though. Easily maze of the night.
A

TERROR TRAM
Advertised Wait: 30 mins
Time in Line: 7:48
In the Maze:8:09
Actual Wait: 21 mins

Was debating between Tram and Llorona and decided to hit Tram while there was still no wait, because it is absolutely not worth it. And that's still the same, to be quite honest. I will say though, the Black Cats were not there AT ALL on my first visit. So they were a huge, and weird, surprise here, that added extra flavor to this sequence of the Tram. The best part is still the NOPE/Us part, by a large margin. The cast here is SO good, and when they all freeze and look up is SUCH an unsettling moment. One of the guys looked up and opened his mouth wide, kinda reminded me of Body Snatchers, it was TERRIFYING. That's probably the most scared I've been on the Tram. Overall, still pretty bad, but that ending makes up for it for the most part.
C-

[This is when I noticed the crowds picking up. Right after I got off tram, the ENTIRE queue was full and the line shot up to 120 mins. Very grateful not to be caught in that mess.]

DINNER
Feeling REALLY good about how ahead of schedule I was, I decided to stop for dinner. Time I had scheduled for it was 9pm, but it was 8:40. Llorona's line was already long, so I figured might as well wait it out a bit.

BLUMHOUSE
Advertised Wait: 85 mins
Time in Line: 9:38
In the Maze: 10:25
Actual Wait: 47 mins

As I was walking over, this said 55 mins which I figured wasn't that bad, but as I walked in, it said 85. I thought maybe it was getting crowded and I should just tough it out. And honestly, the line was nowhere near that bad. In fact, as I was going through the line, it was getting shorter and shorter to what I'd imagine was maybe a 15 min wait at most. I checked the app and it still said it was 60 mins though. I always love getting something shorter than expected, but I can not emphasize how crucial it is to have ACCURATE wait times to plan a night properly. Anyway, this maze has improved a lot for me, and I have to guess its the cast, but I also saw a lot of effects in general that were missing before. The TV in the front window wasn't on before and the can in throat guy this time was squirming and squirted me! While there are some dead zones, the cast still comes out with such ferocity to make up for it. I walked by myself in this maze, usually, I have my girlfriend or someone on my arm, and I figured I wouldn't be targeted. THEY TARGETED ME THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH. It was super intense and I loved it. This was my second favorite of the night. Before I'd say it was an average maze that if you missed, it'd be okay, but this time I'd say it's a must see.
A-

LA LLORONA
Advertised Wait: 80 mins
Time in Line:10:37
In the Maze: 11:40
Actual Wait: 63 mins

Looking at the line, I was scared it might actually be longer than 80. The entire Minions queue was full, which I never waited in before. But it still moved pretty smoothly. Almost my entire group named this maze their favorite, as they have never seen the original version, but I have to disagree wholeheartedly. I think this is a far inferior version of the original -- a couple of things bringing it down for me: that really stupid video in the window of the opening church, some scenes feel smaller or shorter, the flow and sequence of events just don't make as much sense anymore, like the eating of children at the end being swapped around. I think the grim tone really helps make it feel like old school HHN, but the design is not as grandiose feeling. I hope this can return next year and they make a sequel maze or something. We've had it remade twice, but what about a continuation? I think the fans would love it.
B-

[As I left this maze, there was an outside portion of the queue now filling up, so this area was definitely getting more crowded]

Last edited:
UNIVERSAL HORROR HOTEL
Advertised Wait: 60 mins
Time in Line: 11:53
In the Maze:12:33
Actual Wait: 40 mins
This was my favorite maze last time and I was excited to see it again and see what exactly I liked so much. Unfortunately, the timing of everything just didn't work this time and I think this is what I've been hearing from others on why it's so "meh." For example, didn't see the lady hang herself in the pre-show. Entire hallway of doors that I know have scares just never opened. If you miss big moments like this, I could see how you'd think the maze is a bore. This time, I'd have to say I missed 35% of the scares and it effects it a lot. But that's what makes a cast good is the tight intervals while keeping energy up. Is it better to be completely surprised? Sure, but there's nothing worse than NOT getting the scare even if you already saw it. I prefer to still get the scare than get nothing.
B-

[At this point, I felt very successful. I had time to kill and wanted to hit some rides. Unfortunately, Jurassic World had just closed and that's the one I wanted to go on. Went to the Weeknd bar instead and it was...meh. They should've done a lot more with this. Meanwhile, Monsters said it had a 5 minute wait. Decided to go through real quick. Still a decent maze. Also went through Transformers because why not. Said a 20 minute wait and it was a walk on.]

WEEKND
Advertised Wait: 30 mins
Time in Line: 1:33
In the Maze:1:50
Actual Wait: 17 mins

I had very mixed feelings the first time I went through this and just when I thought my opinion of it couldn't get any lower for it, it does. As a side note, I went through this maze twice because there was no line after I got out, so this will encompass both run throughs. Yeah, I hate this maze. This is one of the least scary things HHN has ever done. While I appreciate the artistry of the sets, I can't help but feel the element of terror is completely missing. Even the element of surprise is missing. It's just a dumb maze where dumb things happen and then it's over. The cast was clearly tired as I went through and there were some scares completely missing. The girl with the axe didn't even bother to attack our group BOTH times. As where most of my group liked it the first time, most of them didn't care for it this time other than one person who said it was their favorite, but that's ONLY because they specifically do NOT like being scared while going through mazes. How is that for a glowing review? "It was my favorite because it's NOT scary." Wow. I was kind in my first review, but this time I'm not holding back. This maze is one of the worst I've been through at Horror Nights, and if it weren't for the amazing set design, I would say it is the absolute worst.
F-

TONIGHT'S RANKING:
Scarecrow
Blumhouse
Universal Monsters
Hotel
La Llorona
Halloween
Terror Tram
Killer Klowns
Weeknd

OVERALL RANKING:
Scarecrow (moved up to first place) - A
House (dropped to second) - A-
Blumhouse (moving up a spot) - B+
Universal Monsters (moving down a spot) - B
La Llorona (same ranking) - C
Terror Tram (same ranking) - C-
Halloween (moving up from the bottom three spaces) - D
Killer Klowns (first time going through it this year) - F
Weeknd (went from second last to dead last) - F

2 mazes I give an F and a D? Not shaping up to be a good year HHN, imo. There's a lot of good this year, but there needs to be much more improvement. Halloween can't really be fixed, imo -- it's just stale even with a good cast. Killer Klowns cast needs to jump up a huge notch. Weeknd can be fixed if they really take the time to figure out how to put new scares in here and increase the scares in general.

I have one more trip to go in about 3 weeks. We will see how it all shapes up.

Wanted to give my review.
I've been twice and still haven't been able to experience all the mazes.
Therefore, my review is a little incomplete... Minor spoilers...

Weeknd
We got to experience this maze only once so far.
I'd like to go again before the month is up and might update my review then.
Anyway, we waited in line for the full 90 mins IN THE RAIN. This was opening weeknd.
I'll say that the atmosphere once you get inside the soundstage is pretty cool.
It gives sort of a twisted party vibe. I dig it. After getting into the maze, I can say the set design was definitely among some of the best we've seen at HHN.
The scares were a little lacking, however. Most of them were predictable and I felt like we kept missing all the scares. Enjoyable maze but cast could work on the scares a bit.
Maybe this was improved, idk. I was impressed with how cohesive the story was however. There are little details that allow you to piece together what they're going for. Such as the "hollywood machine" at the beginning, etc, etc...
C+

Scarecrow
This was a very solid maze. Scare actors were very aggressive.
My girlfriend was on-edge the entire maze. You couldn't tell where a lot of the scares were coming from.
Timing was great with all the scares and King Crow at the end got us really good. The way he comes out, you can just barely see him and then BAM he's up in your face.
Great maze.
A

Horror Hotel
Not much to say about this one but the set design was gorgeous.
I was impressed with what they were able to fit into the old Walking Dead spot.
The maze felt lengthy but the queue experience was quite boring. I'd say work on that.
Scares were also a bit lacking but specifically the people who played the hotel's owner were pretty good.
B

Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
Overall a solid maze. Once again beautiful set design.
I really enjoyed the rooms in the middle section of the maze.
A lot of the "outside" scenes felt really large and detailed.
Probably one of the most detailed Mummy Queue mazes we've had in a while.
However, it was a bit hard to understand what was going on story-wise.
Scares were decent...
C+

Blumhouse
I need to go through this one again.
But I'll say that I almost wish this was just a Freaky house.
The Black Phone bits although cool, felt a little bare.
The Grabber also wasn't sitting in the chair when we went through.
We were really looking forward to seeing the shirtless grabber so that was a bit of a disappointment.
We missed most of the scares but the cast seemed to have great energy.
C

Terror Tram
It's Terror Tram...
Overall its a step in the right direction.
Some of the tethered got us pretty good.
Specifically the Tea Cup tethered... A step in the right direction but felt short.
C+

Jabbawankerz
Too much recycled material to really get into it.
Overall, worse than the last show. I feel like 2018 was probably the peak for them...
The lighting package was quite impressive and was definitely the highlight of the show.
A lot of neat effects but the actual performances and music selection was very bland and uninspired.
Also felt much too short.
C-

Last edited:
10/9 - Mini Review… wow, Halloween and UHH crew KILLED IT. UHH definitely went up. Scarecrow was almost exactly the same and once again, very disappointed. The Weeknd crew got almost even better, even with conga lining I got some scares and more appreciation for how good this house is. Biggest let down of the night - La Llorona… my favorite house this year definitely may have gone down. Lots of missing actors in crucial scenes, actors triggering their scares repeatedly without consideration…. It almost made me detest it lol.
More to come

So I was only able to do three mazes and Terror Tram as I went with people who had never went to Universal before. We did agree to sticking to the plan earlier in the night but I have to say, having this rigorous game plan to simply get 7-8 attractions done at an event you payed $80+ for is...really exhausting. We just kinda gave up half way through. Operations at HHN has always been iffy but this year was particularly difficult.

I also think my experience was worsened by the general lack of atmosphere in the park. At times it just felt like I was at regular Uni. I understand having more scarezones just wouldn't work logistically but some more decorations and mini scareactor experiences would definitely help. This was my first time returning to the event since 2016. I'm not sure if I'll return for another 4-5 years. Unless I'm gifted an express pass lol.

Anyway Killer Klowns was cool (this was my first time seeing it). La Llorona was very pretty and I'd love to see a Pueblo de Terror maze next year (via youtube). Scarecrow was fantastic. Terror Tram was ok up until the Nope/ Us section which I enjoyed a lot more. I think the Hollywood Harry character is kinda lame. The Death Eaters experience was really cool and should envelop all of WWOHP with other creepy characters from HP

Last edited:
So I was only able to do three mazes and Terror Tram as I went with people who had never went to Universal before. We did agree to sticking to the plan earlier in the night but I have to say, having this rigorous game plan to simply get 7-8 attractions done at an event you payed $80+ for is...really exhausting. We just kinda gave up half way through. Operations at HHN has always been iffy but this year was particularly difficult.

I also think my experience was worsened by the general lack of atmosphere in the park. At times it just felt like I was at regular Uni. I understand having more scarezones just wouldn't work logistically but some more decorations and mini scareactor experiences would definitely help. This was my first time returning to the event since 2016. I'm not sure if I'll return for another 4-5 years. Unless I'm gifted an express pass lol.

Anyway Killer Klowns was cool (this was my first time seeing it). La Llorona was very pretty and I'd love to see a Pueblo de Terror maze next year (via youtube). Scarecrow was fantastic. Terror Tram was ok up until the Nope/ Us section which I enjoyed a lot more. I think the Hollywood Harry character is kinda lame. The Death Eaters experience was really cool and should envelop all of WWOHP with other creepy characters from HP
While I agree it should be better, at this point I accept this

Unless you go early in the year its Sunday/Thursday without front of the line...or Friday/Saturday with if you want to have a good time and also just look at people's guides online next time you go

It sucks you have to plan but better you do and have a good time

Rankings and thoughts after my 2nd visit:

1. La Llorona A+
2. Scarecrow A+
3. Weeknd A-
4. Legends Collide B+
5. Horror hotel B
6. Halloween C+
7. Klowns C
8. Blumhouse D+

Overall my 2 visits were fantastic. The vast majority of the effects were working, actors were in my face constantly, the storylines were mostly well done and easy to follow, and my attack plan allowed me to hit almost everything on both my visits without Express.

I loved the variety of stories, from Latin American legend, to classic horror movies, to the mental and physical pressures of pop stardom, to a twist on man vs nature. I hope we see that kind of variety at future events. Here's to another great HHN!

My updated rankings:

These swap a lot for me, but I think the edge goes to Scarecrow for certain effects and length:
1. Scarecrow
1. La Llorona

3. Halloween - Well decorated with good scares, even if timing is off the mirror room will get you.
4. Hotel - Too repetitive, dead spots, and really banks of timing. It's not bad though, I like it for what it is, good replacement house.
5. Monsters - Black wall hallway ruins this thing, also the scares are extremely dependent on timing more than any maze imo.

These swap for me depending on effects and performances, however Weeknd is superior set wise:
6. The Weeknd - Not scary, just nice sets. Don't want to see another Weeknd maze. Didn't even pick his good music.
6. Klowns - They fixed a lot in here, but the performances are just not it.

8. Blumhouse - Fun the first time, especially if you've seen Freaky, but the Black Phone part just really sucks and feels tacked on. The scares here lack after the first time except maybe 1 or 2 and you need to be lucky for those.

Random thoughts:
- Love the atmosphere this year, they really improved it.
- Harry potter is the best area imo, so fun.
- NOPE sets are awesome too. Love the performances, I come back for this mostly now.
- This is a good year but worst operations I've seen.
- I wish there were more IP this year, I miss movie houses.
- I don't really hate any of the houses this year, they're all improvements over recent years for the most part. Just no not scary singers having houses next time, keep IP to movies.

Last edited: