Halloween Horror Nights 24: Reviews & Photos | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24: Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thank you :) Near the end I was like, damn I'm writing too much, lets finish up quickly haha. But I try to be as honest and unbiased about the houses as possible, even though I'm one of those HHN freaks that typically sucks up too much ;)

I didn't know about Woody Woodpecker. Where is he?
I'm the same way, it usually takes me days to get thoughts on what I like and didn't like. Don't want a very biased review because when I usually come from a night at horror nights I just gush over everything without question.

SPOILERS FOR GIGGLES AND GORE!!!!!
a projection effect of woody woodpecker is on one of the mannequin clown faces in either the first or second room (The clown in the chair). Woody pecks it's eyes and makes noises, don't know if it's timed or not so I could just be incredibly lucky. Down with any woody cameos after werewolf last year, wonder if there were any more throughout the corse of the event

From the tour:

IMG_0400_zps94249c6c.jpg

Reactions: georgemoe
My personal opinions, after doing each of the houses 2-3 times(without too many spoilers).

Halloween- 10/10.
The second time I went through this house made it shoot to the top of my list. I was so afraid that it would be overly-repetitive with "Mikey" popping out in every room, making a generic stab motion and then returning to his corner. But they really blew it out of the park. The details are RIDICULOUS for a house tent. You literally feel like you're in the Myers' house, in the garage, outside etc. We have Dr. Loomis. We have Laurie and her friends. And we have Michael's EVERYWHERE. I was with a group of frequent HHN attendees, and this house brought out screams from myself and my friends that haven't happened in years. There were points at which we couldn't move due to having actors coming at us from all sides. Also, great nods to the film with the Silver Shamrocks masks and The Things playing on TV. This is one you should truly consider doing a lights on tour of to get as much out of it as possible. Bravo A&D!

Giggles & Gore Inc. - 9/10
I may be particularly biased on this one, due to my serious fear of clowns, but the three times I have been through G&G have been a blast. There are certainly some dark comedy moments that get you chuckling, along with a boat load of scares and actors playing up the twisted aspect of the house. I have had many a friend have panic attacks in here already (literally, we needed help carrying people out). Unfortunately several of my friends work this house, so my group may have been a target, but I honestly think anyone with a remote dislike of clowns would have issues with this one. I'm hoping by the end of the season I'll get through it without screaming ;)

Dollhoue of the Damned- 8/10
This is one of those houses that makes you feel dirty inside. As soon as you walk out you get that feeling of "What the hell did I just see?". The facade itself is a beautifully wicked setup. When you step in you are almost instantly choked with the overwhelming smell of baby powder (yuck). Each of the rooms have different doll themes, so you get a bit of everything. Baby dolls, teddy bears, ballerinas etc. Chucky is in the house, but you've gotta keep an eye out for him. This is another I'd like to do with the lights on. Its almost claustrophobic due to the cluttered mishmash of things happening inside. Check it out, enjoy it, then go take a shower to wash off all the bad feelings.

The Walking Dead: End of the Line- 8/10
Alright, I know we’ve all got some harsh feelings about TWD. But, I think HHN has finally done it right. Yes, the house is huge. You walk past the prison façade (keep an eye out for Hershel’s head) and straight in to season 4. They delivered with detail and with their promise of a huge cast. Walkers are everywhere. I haven’t watched the show, so I can’t comment on exactly how accurate everything is, but I believe they successfully presented everything they wanted in this house. If we hadn’t had zombies the past two years, this would have been more exciting and possibly earned a higher spot on my list. However, I will say don’t bash it til you try it. This year it deserves a chance. (Just get in line EARLY).

Roanoke: Cannibal Colony- 7/10
This house has been a hit or miss for me. The first two times I went through I had a blast. Energized cast, nice sets, and more gore (yay!). The atmosphere, though obviously meant to be disturbing, is actually pretty fun. Some of the characters talk back and clearly there’s plenty of jokes to be made about tasty meat if you like interacting with them. There are also drums playing in the background, which was fun for our group (we danced our way through). Keep an eye out for the decapitated guy, he’s a hoot. The scares aren’t as intense as I had hoped, but it’s a good original house that I will visit frequently throughout the season.

From Dusk Til Dawn- 6/10
When I first heard that this house was taking the spot of “Ritual” (the LT based house), I was pretty upset. I didn’t need two vampire houses this year, and I wasn’t sure how this would turn out. Reluctantly I watched the TV series and ended up being slightly more excited to see what A&D came up with. You enter through the façade of “The Twister”, and thankfully they’ve got the snarky doorman up front directing people in to the house (don’t worry kiddos, he’s still not allowed to mention particular lady parts). This house is much more aesthetically pleasing than it is scary. Not a lot of scareactors in here but the sets are pretty and follow the show accurately. The best scene is probably the end, where you emerge from under the temple and arrive back at the bar to see the infamous Gecko Brothers battling it out with some sexy vamps. Not a MUST DO, and Hollywood’s admittedly looks better, but if you like the movie/show at all I’d suggest checking it out.

AVP: Alien Vs. Predator- 6/10
Admittedly, I’ll probably get some backlash on my rating of this house. Its obviously a favorite for many of the people that have written reviews on the even so far. However, I think people are more excited by the fact that its AVP than the house itself. I honestly have not had a single scare moment in the house. The alien puppets and predator costumes are spot on, but they’re just sort of there to look at. The predators walk out, look at you, and return to their hiding spots. For a large portion of the maze hardly anything happened at all. Perhaps I have gone through at bad times, but I honestly think its lacking in personality. There’s also an obnoxious crouching section in this one that leads you nowhere but the exit. I may get shunned for my thoughts on this one, but I just can’t get excited about it. It was one of my most anticipated houses this year and I find it truly disappointing (again, Hollywood’s looks much better).

Dracula Untold- Reign of Blood- 5/10
As expected, this is the sleeper of the year. I LOVE the Dracula/Vlad story and was truly looking forward to some vampire action, but this just isn’t where to find it. Again we have some beautiful sets, but the rest of the house is lackluster. Perhaps it will earn some points once the movie has been released, but for now no one can really tell what the hell the storyline is. There’s just something missing. Hardly any vampires are present and the rest of the actors seem out of place. I did see one exciting moment on my last walkthrough, so I’m hoping it will get better with time. Even though this earns my lowest rating, it is still better than the worst houses of previous years. I’d suggest approaching all 8 of the houses at this year’s event an open mind and high expectations.

Scarezones are back and they are fierce. I’m SO SO happy to have this sort of interaction with sets and characters again.

The Purge is huge, and depending on when you walk through you may be surrounded by chaos. There are characters from both films, lots of weapons, and an overall feeling of rebellion. I have yet to watch an entire auction scene, but I love that fact that they are doing it. There are also some well-acted abductions that really help add to the atmosphere of no one being safe. I’d like to spend a night in here just watching people interact with the scareactors. Definitely a lot going on at all times, if you pay attention. This zone is more about personal mini-experiences than spectacle.

Face Off –In the Flesh is exactly what everyone thought it would be. There are five stages set up with a rotation of 10 “popular” Face Off makeups (I watch the show and didn’t recognize half of them…not sure they made the best choices). Just like “7” from HHN 21, the main character stands on the stage as a distraction for photo ops while minion characters run around on the ground trying to get jumps out of people. This is also hit or miss. I enjoy my time walking through, but I wouldn’t say there is anything scary happening. There are some good actors trying their best though, particularly the drunk pirates. And at least you can walk through various times throughout the night and have new character experiences. And, if you’re a fan of the TV series, then its certainly fun to see the makeups in person.

My favorite area this year is absolutely Bayou of Blood. The set isn’t that intricate, but the actors are SO perfect. Truly take your time walking through the zone and try to interact with as many people as possible. They are scary, the are crazy, and they do not break character. The hourly sacrifice is the perfect addition to this year, bringing back a bit of HHN past that everyone loves. The Voodoo Queen is the new love of my life. By all means talk to her, because it will be one of the most fun conversations you’ll ever have. She has completely immersed herself in this character and could not possibly be more fantastic. Also keep an eye out for Ken Stricker. He is fabulous, as always.

MASKerade:Unstitched is small, but lovely. On opening night all of the actors were grounded due to the rain, but for the rest of the event’s dry nights a majority of them are on stilts. I somewhat preferred this area without the stilts, as it was easier to play with the actors and lose sight of them in the fog. The costumes are beautiful and have a wonderful elegant vibe. I enjoy the candelabra/knife props that were made for this zone; very clever. Overall though, it’s a bit underwhelming.

Bill and Ted is what it always is. If you like it, you like it. If you don’t, you don’t. Pop culture from 2014. What else is there to say? ( I do like the Disney bashing of this year’s show, and per usual I’m expecting the jokes to grow on me throughout the season).

I haven’t seen RHPS yet, simply because I have seen it enough and don’t expect anything new.

As a whole I am extremely impressed and extremely excited for this year. HHN may be out of its dark ages. Hooray for us all.

Great Review, I need to do Halloween, From Dusk and Giggles.

It seems I missed out on the best 3 houses, makes me feel a little better that I still have the 3 best houses to do next. Takes away my disappointment of Roanoke a little bit :lol:

Video:
Halloween Horror Nights 24 at Universal Orlando - Human Sacrifice at Bayou of Blood

[video=youtube;GuyR2lFok3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuyR2lFok3M[/video]

Hey guys, just wanted to share what I did for Fusion on opening night. It's not what we were originally going to do so it won't be airing. The rain killed it for us. But I still put a little something together to share with you guys. Hope you like it.

[video=youtube;i2MkSc4uMUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2MkSc4uMUA&list=UUQUf5ZmUetPlLE3UMkia0gA[/video]

Reactions: Miketheboss
I have one question about the houses. At the end of dollhouse does that guy ever have a mask or anything on? To me it completely ruins the effect.

I'm a newby to HHN, last year was my first and I won't miss another year. Opening night was shtty with the rain and crowds. Only got two houses and bill and Ted done. Next night was perfect weather, and knocked 5 more out with a repeat of Roanoke. Luckily, for my now fiancé, giggles was 75 mins. So we skipped on to wait out 90 mins for Halloween. Here's the rankings, (I guess spoilers)
1. AVP: Call me crazy, but loved it. It was the first house of the night and wasn't necessarily "scary" but with a few beers in ya none of it is. I absolutely loved the Aliens popping out from the get go, and even had chance to look back when one didn't get to connect and see it scare the shhh out of K ( we'll call her K). Reading the boards, hope they work out the crouching part. Definitely a memorable sequence there.
2. Halloween: Overall most excellent house. Only time I felt uncomfortable the whole night. Major spoilers here, but maybe it was beer getting to me or whatever (I had to pee really bad after that wait) but the room with like 10 Meyers in a strobe light really got me. Literally no one popped out at me at that point, but I swear to god if one did, I would have pissed myself.
3. Dollhouse: It was definitely creepy, but had some good laugh moments. I don't know what to do when I see a big man baby in a high chair but laugh. Excellent use once again of the strobe lights plus manaquins and actors. I now hate ballerinas.
4. Walking Dead: I'm a big fan of the show, and I would be lying if I didn't say it was a huge draw to come to HHN last year. Whether or not I'm a passholder in the future, I will always come back for HHN every year. TWD got me started, the atmosphere and incredibly good times will keep me going. This house was great, and I don't have to rewatch season 4 to get ready for the next season. I loved all the little Easter eggs of the show, and enjoyed some tense moments (once again strobe lights and manaquins).
5. Dusk Til dawn: Obviously any wait times were caused by backups through the satanico whatever girl. Sure did slow my roll. I actually enjoyed the beginning the most with the sheets and projected images. Definitely got a jump out of me there. But the bar scene was fun and really put you in the middle of the action.
6. Roanoke: This house could have been easily the last place if not for my brother making this the funniest house ever. Every time the drum music popped up he would break into tribal dance. We have some Cherokee in the family lines and I guess he channeled it. I can't describe the hilarity that ensued every time an actor would pop out and be dismayed by the guy dancing it out to tribal drum music.
7. Dracula: Just didn't do it for me. Saw vampires and such, but I don't feel I saw Dracula? Seems like it should be prevalent. Best part was the beginning when I walked by very realistic statues and thought, no way those are actors, only to turn around and see them scaring the $$$ out of the people behind me. Best actor of the night goes to that statue guy.

Didn't get giggles done, but that's gonna happen oct 5th. Didn't make it to the meet up, but maybe some folks will be there that weekend. Overall an awesome weekend. I'll never miss another HHN as long as I'm living in Florida. This site has kept me excited since last Oct and its been great to keep track of the progress and fruition of HHN. Trick or Treat!

Definitely a very good year, and it was awesome to finally see REAL scarezones finally make a return to the even this year. Although the SAs in these areas weren't the greatest..it was still fun.

One complaint I would say though would be they need more fog in the Purge scarezone...since everything was pretty open it was much harder for them to scare there without any smoke.

Rankings and quick review

1. Halloween - Aiello and his team really do knock these old horror franchise houses out of the park whenever they do it. Was amazing and the music in the house was great.
2. Walking Dead - Superb house...scares were good, not great, but it was very very well done.
3. Dollhouse - Great sets, great SAs, and a very well done house.
4. AVP - Again sets were insanely good, scares weren't there, but they also didn't make a choice and would have been better if they caster taller people to be predators. They were too short and the head just didn't fit the bodies to me :lol:
5. Roanoke - Incredible sets and never wrong with a lot of blood and Gore.
6. Dusk till Dawn - Although the scares weren't there, I'm partial to half naked girls and the last scene in the club was nice.
7. Giggle and Gore - Suffers from the daylight curse. Solid concept, scares and costumes to me just weren't good.
8. Dracula - Complete waste of a house, no scares, great sets, but was not scary one bit.

4. AVP - Again sets were insanely good, scares weren't there, but they also didn't make a choice and would have been better if they caster taller people to be predators. They were too short and the head just didn't fit the bodies to me :lol:

Really? I found the Predators to be quite intimidating size wise

Figured I'd put in my input for the event this year, as I definitely thought it was a good one.

Me and a few of my buddies met up with my cousin from Ohio (a die-hard Horror Nights nerd) on opening weekend to experience the event. SO…my review only pertains to the first weekend and I know things are subject to change. Over the course of two nights we did every house twice and saw Bill and Ted (and this was with Express Pass on Saturday night and utilizing Stay n Scream both nights…so yes, it was pretty crowded even with there being constant rain on Friday). Overall I thought that this year was much, much better than the previous two, and I feel that Creative got a lot right. In my opinion, some aspects were even reminiscent of the "good ole days", which is always a good thing (I've been going since 2007). Here's my reviews for each of the houses:

1. AvP--first off, this is a beautiful house. The sets were simply amazing and the atmosphere was incredible (this seemed to definitely be a running theme this year); also, the Predator costumes were phenomenal and the alien puppets were everything I had hoped for and more. However, this house suffered from high expectations, at least for me. Alien has been something I've wanted to see at HHN for quite some time, so obviously I really wanted to love this. And considering the house was based on the more action-oriented AvP series rather than the slow-burn atmospheric 'Alien' movie, I was expecting a lot of balls-to-the-wall intensity. Unfortunately, that just wasn't the case in this house. While everything *looked* great, the intensity was not there. Now, we actually ended up doing this house three times, and although my initial impression was one of slight disappointment, tapered expectations yielded much more satisfaction later on. After going through a second and third time knowing not to expect complete insanity, I was a lot more impressed with it. There definitely are some good scares in here (one alien puppet had me jump so much I slammed into the wall much to the enjoyment of the house op that was there). If you can appreciate it for what it is--a beautifully-decorated house with great effects, sets, and on-point costumes/puppetry--it's a solid house. But the potential for Havoc-level intensity just wasn't reached. 8/10

2. Dracula Untold--I really, really don't like this house. First off, I hate blatant marketing ploys, but I can deal with them when they're somewhat appropriate (for example, The Thing in 2011 wasn't bad and Dead Silence in 2007 was a top-tier house in the event's history). This, however, just doesn't belong in the event…possibly less so than Doomsday did in 2008. A lot of the scare actors look like they're from a gladiator-type movie. Dracula himself hardly had a presence. And there just weren't any scares (that I saw) and I'm guessing that's because of how poor the source material is. That being said, it is a beautiful house to walk through and the Dracula attack/bat transforming effect was kinda cool. For sheer scale alone, I give it a 5/10, but it's just not what a haunted house should be.

3. The Walking Dead--I know, I know, The Walking Dead has overstayed its welcome and everyone is sick of it. But I thought that this was actually a very effective house, despite not being a fan of the show. You definitely feel the extra length, and the longest house claim is definitely not just a cheap marketing ploy. The sheer scale of it is also incredible (the Big Spot store set is amazingly detailed, possibly the most intricately-themed HHN room I have ever been in). And best of all, there are a TON of scare actors in this house, and it shows. Walkers lunge at you from seemingly everywhere which makes for a pretty intense experience given proper timing. As much as I hate what The Walking Dead has turned HHN into, I really, really enjoyed the house this year. 8/10

4. From Dusk Till Dawn--aside from Dracula, this was my least favorite house this year. I am familiar with the movie and the first five episodes of the TV show (before I realized it was just a 12-hour remake of the film which I wasn't crazy enough about to watch over again for that amount of time), so I had some clue what was going on. I just felt that the scares were severely lacking in here. Maybe I just had bad luck with my timing but it just seemed to be really low on actors and have bad pacing issues (the middle part drags on and on). Also, I felt like it was missing the "cool" and quirky vibe the movie had, turning what could have been a great genre house into something more generic. Again, as with every house this year, the sets are amazingly-detailed and the facade is fantastic, but not enough to forgive its shortcomings. Also, I feel like, based on other reviews I've read thus far, the "eye candy" left a lot to be desired lol. 6/10

5. Roanoke--I was really looking forward to this one, not only because it's not IP-based, but because of the last few non-IP houses over the past three years, this one was truly original (not as generic as clowns, dolls, gargoyles, etc.). And in a lot of ways, I felt this house really delivered…it had great sets, effective usage of smells, pretty impressive makeup/masks/costumes, and the scares were there, as was the GORE (which has been missing for so long!). But for some reason, I always left this one feeling there was something to be desired. I'm not sure what it is, but something is missing. While I did enjoy it, I feel like its full potential hasn't been reached, and I look forward to seeing if any tweaking that goes on through the season improves this house exponentially. 7/10

6. Dollhouse of the Damned--the biggest surprise of the night for me. I thought the concept was trite and the execution would be boring but I was proven so wrong. This is one creepy, creepy house. It's not the most intense in terms of scares, but the extremely creepy atmosphere is effective in providing a sense of dread throughout the entire house. The crib room, as well as the woman combing her doll's hair furiously (with a doll head melted into her mouth) remain some of the most resonantly disturbing things I've ever seen at Halloween Horror Nights. It was so unnerving being in there, but I loved every second of it. 9/10

7. Giggles and Gore--another surprise, HHN took the overused clown genre and flipped it on its head putting us in a factory. The opening scene was AWESOME, classic Horror Nights and really set the tone for a dark and intense house. The cast in this house is amazingly relentless and some of the props are very creative. Also, the use of gore was on point. I had heard rumors that this would be the shortest house in the event's history but that definitely didn't seem to be the case--I thought it was a great length, with some great intensity and a great setting. 9/10

8. Halloween--and I've saved the best for last…this house is perfect. From the incredible facade to the sets' faithful recreation of the movie's classic scenes to the sound cues directly from the film, this is a Halloween fan's dream come true. EVERY memorable scene from the movie's second half is recreated here down to a tee, with the amount of detail presented unprecedented in a house at HHN. Even more impressive to me than the amount of love that went into the design was the ability of this house to accurately transfer the feel of the film to the house. The closet scene is claustrophobic and nerve-wracking, while the car scene is shocking and sudden. Another thing I loved about this house was the return of actual "scenes", like Michael pinning the boyfriend against the wall, or Michael stabbing Laurie as she watches "The Thing From Another World" on TV, and especially the finale scene…I feel like these have been missing for a while and it's GREAT to have them back as their great execution was really what set HHN apart from other less-elaborate haunts. But the real star of this house is the cast…Michael is AGGRESSIVE. The hall of Michael Myers' scared me so bad I crouched to the floor. Several times I felt that Michael was just a few hairs away from actually stabbing me. If anyone working in this house is reading this, then bravo. This is, to me, a perfect house, and one of my favorites in all of HHN's history. 10/10

As for scare zones, I feel like they're understaffed and really nothing too special…although I did get to see the voodoo sacrifice show in Bayou of Blood which is cool since it apparently got cancelled--while it was nothing amazing it was still a pretty neat touch. I would like to see the scare zone actors up their intensity over the course of the event. As for Bill & Ted…I've honestly never really been a fan and I thought the over-the-top Disney bashing was kind of unnecessary…Universal ought to be above that. I mean, I maybe cracked a smile once but overall I thought it was pretty dumb, with the pop culture references seriously lacking this year.

The houses are the real star of the show this year. Each one was incredibly well-designed and detailed, and the return of gore, special effects, and true "scenes" are more than welcome in my book. There also seemed to be more intensity than the last couple of years--although they're still not at 2007-level insanity, I feel like the darker tone of this year's houses is a sign that Creative hasn't completely sold out yet. There may be hope yet that one year, even with the event's newfound popularity, Creative will get to go all out again and make a truly original and horrifying event like they used to in the past. Time will tell. Until then, this was an excellent year for Halloween Horror Nights and I look forward to going back!

PS-we stayed in the Royal Pacific Hotel over the weekend, the only UO hotel I hadn't been to, and I was blown away by how nice it was. Staying there was definitely a highlight of the trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: Skubersky
I know it's not a full review, but we had a wonderful experience Sunday that rarely happens (at least I think!). I went with my boyfriend and his mother and sister (plus two others, but one of them was afraid of clowns severely) and we decided around 11:30 to do Giggle & Gore. It had a shortish wait posted, and by the time we got to the queue we realized there really wasn't anyone waiting--only a handful of people finishing up their beers before they could go in. We experienced the entire house just the four of us. Everything was timed exactly for us, and everything felt very personal. In the very first room the clown gestured for us to come closer. He spent a good 45 seconds with us before we moved on. It was great! So much better than the first time I experienced it, and I felt like I could appreciate it all more and take my time! We got lucky!

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Review

This time of year comes faster and faster. I feel like 23 just ended. Ever since 2010 HHN has never felt the same to me. Between the lack of scarezones, house staffing and just an overall fun factor has been missing. I’m relieved to say (so far) this is the best HHN has been since 09. We will see how it goes down in time but I’m happy we finally got some soul back into the event we all love. On with the review...

Houses

1. Halloween - This one is going to be tough to beat this year. I can’t say enough good things about A&D’s flawless recreation of the 1978 classic horror flick. From a design standpoint alone this house boggles the mind. The winding hallways constantly kept me guessing. Every time Michael appears he lunges at you with haste. If we would walk in on a reset the scareactors would improvise and still go after my group. All the classic sound queues are here, music… etc. I couldn't help but have a massive grin on my face from start to finish. This will go down in HHN history.
Scares A+
Atmosphere A+

2. Alien vs. Predator - This house takes the cool factor for sure. Scares are slowly improving from my first run but I wish it was a tad more amped up. The Xenomorphs are flawless but don’t jump at you as far as AWiL puppets. The Predators are tall and menacing. Seeing him with and without the helmet is cool. The set design looks like they could start filming the next Alien tomorrow. Weakest element are the facehuggers. They look cheap. Overall near perfect house.
Scares B
Atmosphere A+

3. Dollhouse of the Damned - Total creep fest. Definitely has a “Scary Tales” vibe. Seeing raggedy Ann calling out for help set the perfect mood. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite room or moment because the house has so much variety compared to the rest. I’ll say it is hard to confess, I got my best scare in the ballerina room. Dollhouse proves A&D still has some magic up their sleeves when it comes to original content. Bring it on.
Scares B+
Atmosphere A

4. The Walking Dead: End of Line - Well, I was definitely surprised. I am a big fan of the books, enjoy the show but WD has definitely overstayed its welcome at HHN. The first couple rooms of the house are pretty weak. After that it really breaks loose. The zombie count per room just keeps stacking as it progresses. Before I knew it we were surrounded by dozens of walkers in the woods with strobes… pretty damn creepy. I feel like some people have undersold this house. Easily best WD house but surprisingly the best zombie house Universal has ever done.
Scares B+
Atmosphere A

5. Giggles & Gore - Cool original concept for something that could have easily been a throwaway house. I do feel like there’s 1 too many show scenes but overall the actors are spot on. There's one hallway with a guest activated button but it feels like a waste of a hallway. The final stretch of the house is where is goes bonkers. The tall clown with the top hat can kiss my ass, he’s the scariest thing in the entire event.
Scares B
Atmosphere B

6. From Dusk Till Dawn - Big fan of the movie. The house translated fine from the film, I’ll skip the show. This is a solid house. Definitely brought back Demon Cantina memories. I saw an abundance of scares actors from beginning to end. Some were a little repetitive. The final room is fun. Overall great sets and decent scares.
Scares C+
Atmosphere A

7. Roanoke: Cannibal Colony - I dig the concept of this house. Love when A&D pulls from history. The actors seemed like they were going for more looney than scary. I’m not sure if this house is about timing or what but scares are few and far between. The final room is great but why did they remove their horns? I recommend going through Roanoke after a few beers and dance to the drums.
Scares C+
Atmosphere B

8. Dracula Untold - Not sure why everyone finds this house so perplexing. It takes place in the 3rd act of the film where Dracula and his army are sacking a city. Really cool looking house. Scares are hit or miss depending on timing. There's a few cool effects/moments. I don’t mind this house just doesn't stand out from the bunch. Also turn the lights down a tad in this house. Too bright.
Scares C
Atmosphere A

Scarezones
So refreshing to have scarezones back. Now that they’ve made a triumphant return I can’t complain. Even if one of them was a stinker I still wouldn’t mind.

1. The Purge Anarchy - Great lively zone. Has “Fright Yard” vibe. Tons of actors roam all over the NY area. Some off the beaten path.

2. Maskerade Unstitched - I didn’t think this petite zone would be so far up my list but the actors are perfect. Creepy and cool.

3. Bayou of Blood - Great looking zone but the scares are pretty quite. Every actors play their parts well just aren’t too active.

4. Face Off - Good photo OP zone. A decent amount of actors in between stages. I have to give props to the actors on stages for what they do the entire night.

Bill & Ted
Last year Bill & Ted got a little better from years prior. This year I enjoyed. Loved all the Disney bashing. The overall show has a much better pace than years past. Party on Dudes!

Pros +
+ Scarezones!
+ Some really stand out houses & none of them suck.
+ Once again A&D has outdone themselves with house atmosphere/effects.
+ The spirit of HHN has returned. Perfect timing for the 25th Anniversary next year.

Cons -
- I have nothing against a 2-3 IP’s. Keep it to a minimum Universal. The event gets busier and busier every year, we don’t need to open the floodgates by adding X amount of properties. 90+ min waits on opening night is ridiculous.
- I wish the wait times were accurate instead of Universal trying to herd groups of people from one house to another.
- Express Passes

Last edited:
(Note: Thanks to RogueAntilles for the format. I am using it for my review. Also, there may be a few spoilers)

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Review

I have now been to a total of 4 HHNs (3, 22, 23 and 24). This year was by far the best. Even my least favorite house was still good in many ways. I can only image what 25 will be like now, but if it is anything like 24 it will be great.

I went went my wife and another couple. We all chatted afterwards and came up with a consensus for the rankings. So these ranking are the average from my party.

Houses

For me the first two house are a small cut above the rest.....

1. Halloween - Award for the best house this year. In fairness the content they had to work with was great and simple. Just seeing MM makes you cringe, and there are very few areas where you dont see him in the house. We watched the movie a few weeks back and it follows it exactly. No glits or glam, just straight up scary. You feel like you are in a classic horror film. Only one scene that I didn't like and that was the phone cord scene, other than that, its perfect.
Scares A+
Atmosphere A+

2. Roanoke: Cannibal Colony - Another great house. My favorite actor/scare of the whole event is the headless colonist. Outstanding. The sets are great, from costumes to smells. Very gory as the name eludes to. Every time I went through this house, I got a new scare and saw something new. Plus my wife was called a Jezebel every time which was classic. The ending was great, but not certain was was supposed to be new about it?
Scares A+
Atmosphere A-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next four house are interchangeable ranking wise. All were great in their own ways and it was hard to rank these in a given order...

3. Giggles & Gore - Biggest surprise house for me. I was not thinking this house was going to be that great, but I really liked it. Lots of fun scenes and the scare actors were great. The big guy at the very end is my second favorite scare. Best Disaster house I have been in by far.

Scares A-
Atmosphere A-

4. Alien vs. Predator - As mentioned, this house is ready to make movie tomorrow. I have heard this is the most expensive house HHN has ever had, and if that is true it shows. The sets are really amazing. The puppets are awesome, but not as great as AWIL. As a fan of both franchises I was not disappointed at all. The only thing missing would have been a egg opening with a face hugger. It really is not scary at all, so know that going into it if you have not been.
Scares C
Atmosphere A+

5. The Walking Dead: End of Line - Best WD house by far. It is long, but doesn't really seem like it because there is something constantly going on. The forest scene is great, really felt like there was zombies all around me. Lots of small details from the show (the Hershell head looks just like him). I didn't like the way you came into the house in that you really didn't get a chance to take in the facade that much and the ending was kinda cheap, but other than that another great house.
Scares B+
Atmosphere B+

6. Dracula Untold - I thought this was another great house with incredible sets, actors and smells. I know we have not seen the movie, but it's not complicated to follow. The times we went though it seemed like all the actors were in place with only a few blank areas. I did have low expectations going in based on reviews I had read, but I thought it was great. Some of the set pieces were like AVP in that they were movie quality.
Scares B+
Atmosphere B+

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last two were not bad, but were just missing something or I was not really into it....

7. From Dusk Till Dawn - Someone mentioned this earlier and I total agree, they did not use the bikini vampires the correct way. They should have been a distraction and then have a scare actor jump out from another location. For me there were lots of empty areas (could have been bad luck on the times we went through). I really liked the opening and the ending though. Bar scene was the best part of the house.
Scares C-
Atmosphere B-

8. Dollhouse of the Damned - I will say this was the creepiest house of all of them. However the dirty baby powder smell killed me every time. I did like the big baby head actors and the ballerinas (especially the one by the door). Just wasn't my favorite theme, but still a worthy house.
Scares B-
Atmosphere C

Scarezones
Wont elaborate much, but will say that I liked every zone. I wish we would have gotten to see the scarifies in the Bayou, but understand they cut that out. Such a big improvement over the last two years. I applaud HHN for trying new things like the last two years, but they get a standing ovation for realizing it wasn't working and going back to an original formula.

Bill & Ted
Thought it was good show, maybe a little too heavy on the Disney jokes for a regular guest. I did love the Avatar guy and the Frozen song though.

RHPS
Unfortunately we missed it.

Couple of small opportunities about the event:

1. They should provide a one pager to the team leads that contains information about the house they are working on that night. We would routinely ask questions to the leads, and while they were nice, they never knew the answers. For instance, we asked what Sam Hain meant (painted on the wall in Halloween). No one knew. We looked it up and found out it meant Halloween, but that would have been something I would have thought they would have known about the house. Not really a big deal, but just an area that could be improved.

2. Mixed drinks, ugh!!! The premixes they use are really really bad. If you are going to to have mixed drink, go to Finneginns, as they will make it fresh. On a side note, we were at IOA and went into the Hogs Head and got a Hogs Tea. Dangerously awesome. Best Long Island I have had.

3. I understand they want the lines to move, but unless there is a huge gap, can we stop with the waving arms from members in the houses. Is it that terrible to want to take in the environment and not be right up against the person in front of you. I ignored them them, but unless there is a big gap I wish they would stop that.

Just got back from a third successful night at HHN 24. A few notes....

-My last trip was with a bunch of well-built guys...this time, I was with one of my friends who happens to be a small girl. Wow what a difference that makes. It felt like everyone in the park targeted her. This was awesome for me because I got a lot more attention than Im used to. Great night for scares.

-Halloween is still one of my favorite houses of all time. Great house, awesome intensity.

-I enjoyed Roanoke the first weekend and thought it had a lot of potential to improve over the course of the event...unfortunately, it seems to have gotten weaker to me. I dont know if the tone of the house is just off or what but the scareactors, while seeming to have fun, lack intensity. The drum music doesnt really lend itself well to a haunted house either. Something about the tone is just off. Shame because this could have been a great, terrifying house but is just kinda quirky. I still wouldnt call it bad though.

-Dollhouse is still great and just under-your-skin creepy. Giggles was INTENSE, the scareactors were ON POINT. Even during cast changes they were freaking people in line out. These two are so great, Dollhouse is just so unnerving and Giggles is freakin insane. I love these two houses, feels like old school HHN.

-AVP is still beautiful but still has a lot of deadspace. Also, the ops in this house are the most obnoxious ones...you guys gotta tone it down a bit. Other than that, I still like this one a lot too

-Gave Dusk Till Dawn another try and liked it a lotttt more. I got a GREAT ping pong scare and the finale scene had much more oomph this time...I think I hit it during a cast change my last two times. While I still think its lacking the "cool" vibe of the movie, this is a much better house now, probably a 7.5/10

-skipped Dracula because, well, I hated it, and The Walking Dead because in the words of my friend "Ive seen it twice now I dont need to see it again"...I reallyyyyy hope the rest of the public also feels this way.

-the scarezones have really upped the intensity. Face/Off, while still suffering from a weird set-up, had GREAT high-energy scareactors. Bayou of Blood, even without the show, is just beautiful and the actors have upped their game here as well. Maskerade is better, but they still dont have a whole lot to work with in here. I give em props anyway, but its just not "scary". And the Purge is still a great high-energy zone with lots of great little details (love the news broadcasts in the window TVs).

-Halloween stayed at about 90 minutes all night, proving an old-school IP has as much pull as newer ones. Hopefully Creative's pet projects come to fruition more often now. Dracula and FDTD, on the other hand, hovered around 20 all night...so much for those "hot" (read "forced") IPs. I hope management is taking note. I feel like TWD has brought in enough new fans that have become loyal followers of the event and will return even without TWD.

It was a great night and Im very pleased with HHN 24. Im more hopeful for 25 than ever before now.

Found this ranking in Orlando weekly:
"Based on an opening night VIP media tour"

1. Dollhouse
2. Halloween
3. AvP
4. GIngles and Gore
5. Roanoke
6. The Walking Dead
7. Dracula
8. Dusk Till Dawn