Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A 2nd stage show is 100% needed next year - Nightmare Fuel is at or near capacity for most of its shows. The houses are full as well, HHN will need to figure something out for next year and ticket price increases obviously didn't do much. No free parking until 12 didn't do much either.

Not saying Ghoulish would have solved everything, but it was a 5x a night people-eater. Failure of human error, not planning. That said, a seated show in Bourne or a soundstage would help with crowds, and also give guests a place to sit for an hour. Thing I've noticed this year is every bench, curb, wall and patch of open ground is constantly in use with people sitting.

I disagree with your premise that ticket prices were meaningfully changed. Increases were primarily on Express. While I'm open to new ideas like weekly passes, basic FF and RoF need to be priced significantly higher than 2 nights of tickets. Ultimately, multi-night tickets without Express need to be more in line price-wise with the current with-Express prices.

Some of you will hate me for saying this, but HHN needs a minimum of 4 popular/somewhat known IPs to do a better job spreading the crowds. We really only have 2.5 IPs this year (I feel Blumhouse is a constant 90+ min wait due to its location, not the IP utilized).

I think Blumhouse actually a top two draw with Halloween based on wait times and historic popularity of houses, but otherwise agree. It seems obvious Parade 2 with its 4-hour queue was originally supposed to be Stranger Things, which would've been a perfect back-of-the-park weenie.

I always relied on the 10 PM free parking so I wanted to see how this year developed,

Almost no one enters at midnight, I see about 20 cars or so entering with me lol. When you enter at midnight, city walk is full of people LEAVING the park. It's like 50% of the park is leaving or something. There's still people inside at midnight,
But personally I only see very little people going in at midnight

If anything, the park feels MORE crowded from 6 to midnight than years before, when I get dropped off at 8 pm on some days, by 10 pm it feels more crowded than years before ( meaning, I think the people that used the 10 pm free parking are just enting at 6 pm either way)
I almost feel like taking away the 10 pm parking did the complete opposite
Obviously I have no idea on attendance numbers or parking sales,

But, it really feels more crowded now at 10 pm than it did it 2019 for example, or last year, and at midnight the park lines are like at 20, 15 minutes.

Either everyone got ultimate frequent fear with free parking, or people are getting dropped off at 6 by their family or friends.
I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like the people like me that would arrive at 10 pm before are never gonna use the midnight parking but instead arrive at 6 pm or something

Reactions: SeventyOne
Some of you will hate me for saying this, but HHN needs a minimum of 4 popular/somewhat known IPs to do a better job spreading the crowds. We really only have 2.5 IPs this year (I feel Blumhouse is a constant 90+ min wait due to its location, not the IP utilized).

We have 4 this year... There is no "2.5". Universal is marketing it as 4, and they are all popular and somewhat known. The 4 IP's are doing what they were supposed to for here and in Hollywood, so it's not that.

I think Blumhouse actually a top two draw with Halloween based on wait times and historic popularity of houses, but otherwise agree. It seems obvious Parade 2 with its 4-hour queue was originally supposed to be Stranger Things, which would've been a perfect back-of-the-park weenie.

Stranger Things wasn't in the cards. Universal anticipated The Weeknd's draw and built it out for that specifically.

But otherwise, like 71 is saying, Blumhouse actually has drawing power. Now, I'm sure Ops isn't helping matters with wait times and location plays a part, but The Black Phone is carrying that house.

There are a lot of factors to the increase, where I'm sure Ian caused a lot of people to push off their vacation to later - so you have some of those delayed vacations trickling in now. Personally, I think the tepid response to some of the original houses is also causing the more popular houses to have inflated waits - specifically Coven and Hellblock. Losing Ghoulish doesn't help.

I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like the people like me that would arrive at 10 pm before are never gonna use the midnight parking but instead arrive at 6 pm or something

So it did what it was supposed to. Get you in earlier to spend more time (and money) in the park and avoid an 8/10pm rush.

There are a lot of factors to the increase, where I'm sure Ian caused a lot of people to push off their vacation to later - so you have some of those delayed vacations trickling in now. Personally, I think the tepid response to some of the original houses is also causing the more popular houses to have inflated waits - specifically Coven and Hellblock. Losing Ghoulish doesn't help.

I think it's this and coupled with the fact that the event 10 years ago was already supporting 8 houses and 4 shows, and now the event NEEDS two more shows and it's a lagoon show (that's broken) and a stage show.

As far as shows goes, the event really should have something with a lot of repeat viewing power. Say what you will about the scripting & performances of Bill & Ted, Rocky Horror, and even Academy of Villains but man did they garner a lot of repeat viewings. The event desperately needs a 3 and 4th show and one that has a lot of repeat viewing capability. It doesn't have to be Bill & Ted or Rocky Horror but it needs something.

I think it's this and coupled with the fact that the event 10 years ago was already supporting 8 houses and 4 shows, and now the event NEEDS two more shows and it's a lagoon show (that's broken) and a stage show.

As far as shows goes, the event really should have something with a lot of repeat viewing power. Say what you will about the scripting & performances of Bill & Ted, Rocky Horror, and even Academy of Villains but man did they garner a lot of repeat viewings. The event desperately needs a 3 and 4th show and one that has a lot of repeat viewing capability. It doesn't have to be Bill & Ted or Rocky Horror but it needs something.
I've been saying for the longest time to have a Bill & Ted-esque show with Beetlejuice, would be perfect.

Or hell, I forgot who suggested this, but have H.R. Bloodengutz host a bloodier and more adult Horror Make-Up Show (or just a general HHN version of HMU)!

I was thinking about that, too. We had Bill & Ted, Brian Brushwood, and Rocky Horror all one year.

I was thinking about that, too. We had Bill & Ted, Brian Brushwood, and Rocky Horror all one year.

HHN 17 had legit 4 shows and all of them had repeat viewing built in. The fact that they had the Freakshow and had different acts (even though it was mostly Brushwood) helped crowds a lot. Couple with Jack's show, and RHPS and B&T it REALLY moved crowds around.

This conversation comes up all the time around Disney, and the discourse is always around "Add capacity or Raise prices". I can tell you that Universal is not up against a wall and they can absolutely add capacity, and shows are one of the best ways to do that.

I've been saying for the longest time to have a Bill & Ted-esque show with Beetlejuice, would be perfect.

Or hell, I forgot who suggested this, but have H.R. Bloodengutz host a bloodier and more adult Horror Make-Up Show (or just a general HHN version of HMU)!
"More shows" is probably the most realistic suggestion I've seen to address the crowding, and HMUS is a perfect model. An improv-heavy show like that is perfect for absorbing the increasing number of repeat visitors over and over across multiple nights. Really, a great idea. Heck, if the combination of a drunken audience and over-excited animals wasn't a recipe for disaster, I'd say run a modified Animal Actors show, another performance with high repeatability, as well.

And the absolute worst suggestion is substantially raising ticket prices or limiting options. Comcast (or any major corporation) doesn't need any encouragement to do that, and once they start down that road, they won't stop. It's one of the more unsavory aspects of Disney fandoms and I hate to see it popping up here: just price out the hoi polloi so I can have a better time and they don't get to experience the event at all - surely they'll never price ME out. There are a lot of solutions that don't involve skyrocketing prices, and even if Universal doesn't implement them, its still possible to work around the crowds if you're willing to adapt. Honestly, if you have enough money that you're comfortable advocating big price hikes, you have enough money to get one or more express passes or to do the event before 8 and/or after 12 across multiple nights.

And the absolute worst suggestion is substantially raising ticket prices or limiting options. Comcast (or any major corporation) doesn't need any encouragement to do that, and once they start down that road, they won't stop. It's one of the more unsavory aspects of Disney fandoms and I hate to see it popping up here: just price out the hoi polloi so I can have a better time and they don't get to experience the event at all - surely they'll never price ME out. There are a lot of solutions that don't involve skyrocketing prices, and even if Universal doesn't implement them, its still possible to work around the crowds if you're willing to adapt. Honestly, if you have enough money that you're comfortable advocating big price hikes, you have enough money to get one or more express passes or to do the event before 8 and/or after 12 across multiple nights.

Therein lies the problem, where even Express lines are becoming long; and this is coming from someone with FFP+ with Express. I barely go in October because of how insanely crowded it can get.

The event has FFPs ingrained into its DNA because there was a time they needed it. Now they don't. The only reason they'll never cut it is fan service but they do need to reexamine the pricing and/or day structure. I don't think completely pricing out guests should be the solution, but some of the tickets can be bargains.

Therein lies the problem, where even Express lines are becoming long; and this is coming from someone with FFP+ with Express. I barely go in October because of how insanely crowded it can get.

The event has FFPs ingrained into its DNA because there was a time they needed it. Now they don't. The only reason they'll never cut it is fan service but they do need to reexamine the pricing and/or day structure. I don't think completely pricing out guests should be the solution, but some of the tickets can be bargains.
Ultimately, the solution for HHN is the exact same as it is for modern WDW - expand capacity. Any other solution is a stopgap that will fail to address the issue and diminish the guest experience.

I've heard about the long Express lines, but I'll be honest, the night I used Express the wait wasn't any longer then what I've come to expect from past years. I attended on several other nights before 8 or after 12 and found the crowds larger then last year's, certainly, but very manageable. If a guest can only do one night and can't afford Express, then I very much sympathize with their consternation at the increased crowds - but that individual isn't going to be helped by massively increased prices. They'll just be eliminated.

Maybe FFPs are "fan service" or remnants of a departed past. But here's the thing - something that Universal does really, really well, a big reason its far more pleasant to visit them then it is to visit Disney, is fan service and creatively invoking and honoring the past, and that's nowhere more clear then at HHN. Universal is a heartless mega-corporation just like Disney, but at the moment they're doing a much better job of creating a sense that someone in management actually likes theme parks and wants to create a resort that is welcoming to guests. That builds generational loyalty, something Universal desperately needs to compete with Disney. Multi-night tickets specifically, of course, are also a great way of building loyalty and a devoted fan base. Eliminating fan-friendly ticket options or instating absurd price increases is a huge step in the wrong direction. And frankly, there's nothing wrong with a few "bargains" extended to guests here and there

I've seen what has happened to WDW over the last three decades. What was once a place I loved dearly has become a massive, impersonal, overpriced mess. I am very thankful that an improving Universal gave me a theme park resort to turn to as Disney declined. I have absolutely no idea why some fans - smart fans - want to start turning Universal into modern day Disney.

We have 4 this year... There is no "2.5". Universal is marketing it as 4, and they are all popular and somewhat known. The 4 IP's are doing what they were supposed to for here and in Hollywood, so it's not that.

Stranger Things wasn't in the cards. Universal anticipated The Weeknd's draw and built it out for that specifically.

But otherwise, like 71 is saying, Blumhouse actually has drawing power. Now, I'm sure Ops isn't helping matters with wait times and location plays a part, but The Black Phone is carrying that house.

So it did what it was supposed to. Get you in earlier to spend more time (and money) in the park and avoid an 8/10pm rush.

Yes but it might have contributed on how much crowded it feels now lol.
I know people with annual passes have free parking as well, but I'm wondering if universal will completely remove free parking during hhn.
Because it looked like everyone will just go early now.
I really hope they don't, but the people going in at midnight were very very tiny number

HHN 17 had legit 4 shows and all of them had repeat viewing built in. The fact that they had the Freakshow and had different acts (even though it was mostly Brushwood) helped crowds a lot. Couple with Jack's show, and RHPS and B&T it REALLY moved crowds around.

This conversation comes up all the time around Disney, and the discourse is always around "Add capacity or Raise prices". I can tell you that Universal is not up against a wall and they can absolutely add capacity, and shows are one of the best ways to do that.
and not just HHN but more shows for the parks overall to help their serious capacity problem. It's a sad state that Universal has way less shows now than they had ten years ago, even though attendance and revenue have increased significantly.
That's sheds a really bad light on Universal's park management. And that was a trend even before the covid manpower excuses they often use as a front for being cheap. Seems like Universal is on their way to imitating WDW and repeating their mistakes.

Last edited:
Ultimately, the solution for HHN is the exact same as it is for modern WDW - expand capacity. Any other solution is a stopgap that will fail to address the issue and diminish the guest experience.

I've heard about the long Express lines, but I'll be honest, the night I used Express the wait wasn't any longer then what I've come to expect from past years. I attended on several other nights before 8 or after 12 and found the crowds larger then last year's, certainly, but very manageable. If a guest can only do one night and can't afford Express, then I very much sympathize with their consternation at the increased crowds - but that individual isn't going to be helped by massively increased prices. They'll just be eliminated.

Maybe FFPs are "fan service" or remnants of a departed past. But here's the thing - something that Universal does really, really well, a big reason its far more pleasant to visit them then it is to visit Disney, is fan service and creatively invoking and honoring the past, and that's nowhere more clear then at HHN. Universal is a heartless mega-corporation just like Disney, but at the moment they're doing a much better job of creating a sense that someone in management actually likes theme parks and wants to create a resort that is welcoming to guests. That builds generational loyalty, something Universal desperately needs to compete with Disney. Multi-night tickets specifically, of course, are also a great way of building loyalty and a devoted fan base. Eliminating fan-friendly ticket options or instating absurd price increases is a huge step in the wrong direction. And frankly, there's nothing wrong with a few "bargains" extended to guests here and there

I've seen what has happened to WDW over the last three decades. What was once a place I loved dearly has become a massive, impersonal, overpriced mess. I am very thankful that an improving Universal gave me a theme park resort to turn to as Disney declined. I have absolutely no idea why some fans - smart fans - want to start turning Universal into modern day Disney.

If they raise the FFP price or change it, change the hours,
I think I would strongly just consider the Rush of Fear pass.

Even know, I'm wondering if by next year I should see which one I get. I love going to hhn obviously, but this year is making me wonder. If higher prices are coming I might see if I'll just go the first weeks only. Depends on what they do

and not just HHN but more shows for the parks overall to help their serious capacity problem. It's a sad state that Universal has way less shows now than they had ten years ago, even though attendance and revenue have increased significantly.
That's sheds a really bad light on Universal's park management. And that was a trend even before the covid manpower excuses they often use as a front for being cheap. Seems like Universal is on their way to imitating WDW and repeating their mistakes.
I agree that Uni management has begun to show some worrying signs, but I'm not ready to panic. Uni definitely needs more shows, particularly in IOA, although Animal Actors and the Make-Up Show are my two favorite shows in Orlando - as I mentioned above, they have fantastic repeatability. Universal has also been doing an admirable job of adding performances to the New York area of Studios, something they should extend to IOA. Also, very much unlike Disney, has kept streetmosphere and costumed characters in both parks, which is great. Universal needs a parade and they need to fill the three massive theaters now lying dormant or tear them down and replace them - but if they do the latter, they need to create new show spaces elsewhere in the two parks. It should be noted that, as bad as it is that those theaters have been empty for so long, with the possible exception of the old wild west show the shows that used to occupy them were never very good and are no great loss in themselves. The lost theater show that upsets me the most is one that never opened - the one in EU's monster land. Replacing that with a largely bare coaster seems like a really terrible decision.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Technically 4 IPs, but I listed 2.5 as "popular IP" since those are the only ones drawing in crowds. People are showing up for Halloween, The Weekend, and partially for The Black Phone (nobody cares for Freaky). Monsters are the best house this year, but there's a very minor amount of guests who are actually drawn to HHN specifically for them.. most are already drawn to the event anyways.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I can definitely say my experience with express both times this year has been fine. The Weeknd had a 120 min wait and we waited at most like 5 min? (Not counting the walk there of course).

But I’m in agreement with most so far. Another show or two could do wonders. I don’t know all the places they can host them but I’m sure it’s capable of more than two shows. I’m thinking like three but would prefer four.

Like I said it really just is obvious to me Ops inside the houses are not the issues. It’s everything outside of them. There’s no reason to rush people through the house as that doesn’t solve the problem and only worsens everything (the experience and the line bottlenecks from everyone being on top of each other).

I don’t know if they’ll ever figure that out or they just don’t care at this point. But man I feel like more shows would at least help.

Last edited:
The Boulet Brothers Dragula would be an amazing show for the event. Different queens could rotate in and out throughout the run which would encourage repeat viewings.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I am seeing posts on social media tonight regarding massive crowds for HHN, guest services, and lines for the parking garages.

Good luck to anyone who is at the event this Monday night.

I’m here tonight and it’s definitely crowded for a Monday. Halloween is at 2 hours and Mummy is perpetually at 60 min posted.
This is only my second night of HHN this year but I feel like they need more capacity.
Also if anyone is around, let me know!

Reactions: SeventyOne
To return to an earlier, brilliant point in this thread, as soon any backstage space becomes available thanks to the move to EU, Uni needs to build a great, big festival center. Put half of the food stands in there as a draw and to help clear space in the streets. Build a large bar, a TON of comfortable seating and lounging room. Add some meet n’ greets, something HHN has needed for a LONG time to eat some crowd and lessen pressure on scarezone actors. After all, Disney’s Halloween events are basically nothing but long lines for unique meet n’ greets. I’d love to leave the Tribute store where it is, but the Festival Center could hold a custom built space for that as well - or at least some smaller, custom themed stores. Include a performance space. It could also hold a display area with rotating exhibits - Knotts has a year-round museum for thier Halloween event, why shouldn’t the much bigger Universal event get their own. Basically, include anything that will eat capacity. And then retheme the whole deal for the holidays, Mardi Gras, the summer… well, maybe keep the HHN museum year round! It’s a great idea that plays into one of Uni’s biggest strength, creating incredible but temporary themed locations.