Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - News & Information | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - News & Information

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney put all of their smoking areas outside the park, and rarely is it an issue there. Disney actually has a strict enforcement policy.

Perhaps a better phrasing would be, there is a notible portion of non-smokers who engage in the occasional cigeratte/juul/vape in social enviroments where alcohol is present, i.e. concerts, bars, parties etc

I'm sure this isnt a thread for a full conversation, but I fully believe the discussion needs to go from complaining (not pointing fingers at anyone specifically) to the discussion of realistic solutions.

As a former smoker, I can tell you that when Universal had loads more options for smoking areas - people still smoked outside them. It's not due to the lack of options, it's simply because they don't care.

I have seen Universal crack down on those offenders, but it could be better - especially with vapes. The problem is vapes are so easy just to pull out and take a hit, and they don't smell noticeably awful.

(and as an aside, as a former smoker, I've been smoke-free for almost 7-8 years now, and have never picked up another cigarette or vape during social outings.)

As a former smoker, I can tell you that when Universal had loads more options for smoking areas - people still smoked outside them. It's not due to the lack of options, it's simply because they don't care.

I have seen Universal crack down on those offenders, but it could be better - especially with vapes. The problem is vapes are so easy just to pull out and take a hit, and they don't smell noticeably awful.
Not saying removing all smoking areas will magically solve the issue, but strict enforcement is necessary. Pushing the smoking outside would at least let people know that smoking isn't allowed in the park entirely.

For starters, they need to relocate smoking from Gramercy Park. Such a nice location to relax in as they actually have park benches there, but unfortunately taken away by the smoking.

They also just need to enforce the rules, TMs tend to just ignore.

They also just need to enforce the rules, TMs tend to just ignore.
I agree, but I'd love to see the parade of security guards and cops step in rather than leave it up to rank-and-file employees. It was intimidating to tell someone to put out their smoke at Disneyland — and that was in broad daylight with a completely different crowd makeup. I would not want to be the teenager to confront someone vaping in a line at Horror Nights.

(and as an aside, as a former smoker, I've been smoke-free for almost 7-8 years now, and have never picked up another cigarette or vape during social outings.)
I know you weren't asking for congratulations, but seriously, congratulations!
They also just need to enforce the rules, TMs tend to just ignore
I don't necessarily think it's fair to put the blame on TMs.
I would not want to be the teenager to confront someone vaping in a line at Horror Nights.
This is why I'm pro designated smoking areas. A TM saying "Hey, there's actually a smoking area right over there" addresses the issue without direct confrontation.

I agree, but I'd love to see the parade of security guards and cops step in rather than leave it up to rank-and-file employees. It was intimidating to tell someone to put out their smoke at Disneyland — and that was in broad daylight with a completely different crowd makeup. I would not want to be the teenager to confront someone vaping in a line at Horror Nights.

I don't necessarily think it's fair to put the blame on TMs.

This is why I'm pro designated smoking areas. A TM saying "Hey, there's actually a smoking area right over there" addresses the issue without direct confrontation.

Trust me, I don't blame TMs whatsoever, they have to unfortunately take the hit rather than management. TMs don't intervene as much because they know management won't do anything.

Security is too busy worrying about bringing in containers with water versus a vape pen lol