Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In 2022, Descendants was a respectable #2 (although the bug house came in #6)
In those years, four of the bottom six were soundstage houses (Tooth Fairy, Coven, ST 4, Hellblock).
Tooth Fairy was my favorite house in 30. Bugs: Eaten Alive was my favorite in 31. I am surprised to see them that low. I thought they were both pretty popular.

I'm sure I just missed it, but why aren't they using the Shrek location? Wasn't making Minion Blast as small as it is so they could still put a house there?

Tooth Fairy was my favorite house in 30. Bugs: Eaten Alive was my favorite in 31. I am surprised to see them that low. I thought they were both pretty popular.

For me, I loved Tooth Fairy in the anomaly that was 2020. But in 2021, it just didn't have the same bite, so to speak. Part of it could've been due to it was a literal repeat for me, another part is 2021 had a different cast and it wasn't like what I experienced the year before etc. (In comparison, I felt Bride of Frankenstein Lives improved in 2021 over its 2020 debut.)

As for Bugs, it was a really fun concept, but two things...

- While it was presented as a Horror-Comedy house, I think it needed to pick one side and lean further into it. One moment it's trying to be super serious and icky, and the next moment it was trying to be campy. I don't think it went far enough on either, so it felt like a missed opportunity. I wish they went harder on the camp, since any part with the giant bugs were honestly really fun.

- Also, I think this house did get hampered by fan-expectation. I think a lot of folks had various gnarly ideas on what it could've been to scare them...and the house just wasn't what they'd imagine it to be.

I think if any fans had a problem with "BUGS", it was only one glaringly obvious reason...

There was no voice telling them to:
Men In Black Mib GIF by Universal Destinations & Experiences

I enjoyed Bugs quite a bit, but I do wish they would have fully leaned into the gross/icky vibe. I wanted to walk out of there feeling like I had to get a shower lol

I'm actually very excited for the new tents, because I also imagine they will both be even larger than the current ones.

I don't know how it never really registered before.. but it finally did during our first UTH tour last year, When we were walking around the outside of the tents and heading in, I realized.. "oh these aren't tents, these are small BUILDINGS."

This isn't true. The space is currently not available for HHN use (I believe entertainment is using it) but it could be used as a house location again in the future.
Could've sworn the space was smaller than Shrek, but I'm happy that Villain-Con is usable. KKFOS and Case Files showed off just how well A&D could play with that type of space, so it'd be nice to see it utilized.

Reactions: Darko and Jake S
I enjoyed Bugs quite a bit, but I do wish they would have fully leaned into the gross/icky vibe. I wanted to walk out of there feeling like I had to get a shower lol
Use the time machine, go back to HHN 2002, take a stroll through "FEAR FACTOR". Yes, they made a stupid house because corporate synergy. *sigh* it's still regarded as "the worst" lol

Imagine a place where your greatest fears become reality. Feel your way through absolute darkness in room crawling with insects, snakes, spiders, worms, rats and more.

it had everything from darkness, strings, wet/slimy, etc...

Use the time machine, go back to HHN 2002, take a stroll through "FEAR FACTOR". Yes, they made a stupid house because corporate synergy. *sigh* it's still regarded as "the worst" lol

Imagine a place where your greatest fears become reality. Feel your way through absolute darkness in room crawling with insects, snakes, spiders, worms, rats and more.

it had everything from darkness, strings, wet/slimy, etc...
It was better on Employee Preview night when it was legitimately a blackout house. They realized, however, that a black out house results in a four-hour line because can’t see where they’re going. So they added lights. That revealed that the entire house was black walls and hokey props.

At least they added the Phobics.

I loved Bug House quite a lot. And while I was a bit closer to where you were in terms of not leaving the house scrambling, my SO had to bring a sweater every night we went because they felt that icky vibe and all of the SIF, gooey latex, webbing, air blasts, water sprays just got to be too much for them sometimes haha! Definitely took a little bit of pep-talk before each run there!

Bugs depended on your fears. If Bugs didn't bother you, you probably could care less about it. Also think it had a tough time transitioning between parody and scares.
Yup - I personally feel it needed to lean more heavily into the parody, as that was the stronger element. I wanted giant bugs dressed up as a stereotypical 1950s family by the end.

I’d argue that Hollywood’s Terror Tram did the concept better, which is… unusual.

Bugs depended on your fears. If Bugs didn't bother you, you probably could care less about it. Also think it had a tough time transitioning between parody and scares.
I can't stand roaches. I've lived in Florida my entire life and I can barely get close to one. Yet, Bugs was my second favorite house that year lmao. One of the most fun houses I've been through.