Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, and you don't even have a central location to anchor the experience (Hill House) or a central baddie to market the IP around (Bent-Neck Lady).

The show is arguably a success for Netflix and was another reliably solid Flanagan effort, but it doesn't scream Horror Nights.
I’m going to add some additional context. People swore Bly Manor would come. People swore Midnight Mass would come. I’m sure some people mentioned Midnight Club would come…

Just because it’s Netflix, and just because it’s Flanagan… that doesn’t mean it’s coming.

Yeah, and you don't even have a central location to anchor the experience
house-of-usher-65284943d84ab.jpg

or a central baddie to market the IP around (Bent-Neck Lady).

6536b4440487ff031cabeb24.jpeg

And there’s fewer scares in Usher than there were in Bly Manor.
Lol. You're talking as if the amount of scares in a show/movie is how Universal decides whether or not to make a house based on whatever IP.... Come on lmao. There's enough horror imagery in TFOTHOU that lends itself to great potential in an HHN house. Just seems like neither of you even watched the show, no offense

Last edited:
View attachment 20060

View attachment 20061

Lol. You're talking as if the amount of scares in a show/movie is how Universal decides whether or not to make a house based on whatever IP.... Come on lmao. There's enough horror imagery in TFOTHOU that lends itself to great potential in an HHN house. Just seems like neither of you even watched the show, no offense
I did watch it. I watch all of Flanagan’s stuff. Clive’s point about a “central location” is founded because nothing actually happens in that house (apart from the final deaths). Verna isn’t a strong baddie for a haunt because her methods are predominantly indirect, or she’s shape shifted into an animal. She’s not going to lunge at you. Further, none of the characters would have any motivation to attack “guests,” except (big maybe) Leo and (bigger maybe) Frederick.

House of Usher suffers from the same predicament that the Final Destination movies suffer from. Yeah… it’s scary. Yeah… it has set pieces. But who is actually going to do the scaring and does that make any thematic sense in the story?

Universal has already done this house with Nevermore in 2011. They could literally bring it back as was, industrialize a couple of scenes, and you have a better version of the concept (various Poe stories), but actually designed for a haunt and without the need to pay for rights.

View attachment 20060

View attachment 20061

I'm going to need you to take it down a notch. Your response makes it seem like you're taking our points personally, when they aren't. They're observations about what Universal tends to look for when choosing IPs and what has historically guided their decisions.

I can't speak for Legacy, but I did watch the show - and really enjoyed it. However, my points stand. A decrepit childhood home where the frame story occurs is not a central location for a maze in the way that Hill House undeniably is. Verna/Death wearing a revealing outfit and a fairly generic mask does not make for either a good haunted house scare or a central marketing image. I'm not saying you couldn't cobble something together, but it's not the slam dunk you're pitching.

Never really saw Dueling Dragons as a tribute to the ride, mostly just a name to slap on a medieval house they've been dying to do for a while and get some "fan credits" lol
It was literally the castle and queue rebuilt. Replicated down to the final room to choose your fate before loading. It was as much as a tribute to the ride as the tribute store is to the event.

Anyway, I predict I will forgo opening weekend/month and start going to the event in october like I use to.

While I did love the Ghostbusters house and enjoyed Afterlife, I don't know if Frozen Empire will have enough horror to warrant a haunted house. Seeing a lot of people bring it up, so we'll see how it plays out.
Aug 30th - Nov 3rd, 6:30pm to 2 am.
I agree that the event will end at 2 am every night, but my gut is telling me the dates will be September 6 - November 2. I just don't see HHN ever starting (at least for the non-TMs) in August.

EDIT - Maybe Universal is willing to let the event open on Thursday, September 5?

Keeping things pretty simple for now.

10 houses - I'm sticking with what @Brian G. and many others have said. It's ten houses, until it isn't. Permits will ultimately make it obvious if it isn't. And until it isn't, it's still ten houses.

Most likely an even split of IP and Original houses - A&D has been pretty open they like having an even split.

A return of the lagoon show - With a new lagoon show being built as we speak, I don't doubt they'll have a new lagoon show for HHN.

As for what the houses may be, there's really only two which I can say in spec.

Five Nights at Freddy's - Blumhouse movie. Uni themselves distributed the film. They had the animatronics in USH and prominently featured around the resort in marketing. There are way more signs saying they're coming than they're not. Personally, this is a Dream IP. Not the easiest one to make due to challenges on how you have the AA's (puppets, big suit characters, both), but I look forward to seeing how they do it!

A Universal Monster house - They've been doing one since 2019, and A&D clearly enjoy making them, and for what it's worth, they've all been very enjoyable! Personally, I'd want a Creature from the Black Lagoon house as Gillman has only been in the scales once since 2019, while many others have been featured multiple times.

-------

That's what I got for now. It's all a wait and see situation, especially with the originals which I've learned it's best to just kick back and let A&D do their thing. 32 had some seriously kick-butt houses, probably one of the strongest upper echelon of houses in one year. And I look forward to seeing what they come up with next!

Im late to the speculation am I? :)
The Strangers Trilogy
New movie’s are coming out and there’s a chance it will be at the event.

Five night’s at Freddy’s
Video game is popular/ movie enough said.

Monsters
Possible tease for epic universe maybe ?”

The Fall of the house of usher
Most watched series on Netflix and Has Edgar Allen Poe’s stories tied to it.

Ghostbusters frozen empire
Maybe?”

Unlikely
Scream
M3gan( new movie doesn’t come out till 2025)
Nightmare on elm street
The Weeknd
Wednesday
Terrifier ( Too controversial)
Jeepers creepers ( one word No)
Saw X ( six flags already had a haunt)

Ps: Also do I have to remind y’all we went through a strike that didn’t end until November.

Last edited:
Reactions: EnigmaticGear
I agree that the event will end at 2 am every night, but my gut is telling me the dates will be September 6 - November 2. I just don't see HHN ever starting (at least for the non-TMs) in August.

EDIT - Maybe Universal is willing to let the event open on Thursday, September 5?
I honestly agree that an August opening is a little suspect. But I figure the trend for Orlando parks over the years has always been to creep closer into summer every year, and with the way the first weekend of September is situated this coming year, plus how slampacked September ended up being this year, I could see an outcome where they open earlier than they have before to maximize that cashflow.

Okay, it's that time of year again! Apparently late to the party this time lol. So my spec is fairly similar to what I posted in the spec thread, but tweaked for Orlando. Here we go:

I was going to post about Poseidon's Fury, but after the posts I've seen....maybe not. I think it would at least look cool.

Freddy and Jason comeback: It’s worth noting that the rights to Friday the 13th have been legally settled as of September. Don’t have time to look back but I think they decided that the original creator of the series owns the rights legally. It will also be the 40th anniversary of the original NoES (Which they haven’t done!) I know people are kinda iffy about that happening with WB being a wild card, but I think it’s time for Freddy and Jason to come back. It’s been literally 16 years since they had their own individual houses. It also will have been 8 years since they’ve been here last so…it’s time.

Five Nights at Freddy’s: This should be the obvious no-brainer I’m willing to put money down on, but Cawthon might be a wildcard here and say “No I don’t want this”. Assuming that won’t be an issue, I think that’s a will be the SFX-heavy house next year. Universal Monsters: Ideally, I would love to see just one more proper classic monsters house with Gilly.....but after the seemingly "eh" reception to this year's Unmasked house in Hollywood....I have a feeling they will either take a break from the Universal Monsters, or do something that broadens the scope of what is considered "Universal Monsters". I imagine they want both coasts to be on the same page for the concept, which is why I bring that up. I think someone brought up an idea in the Hollywood spec thread of having a Monsters house that covers the old-school sci-fi monsters movies from the 50's and 60's. I freaking love that idea. Another I idea that was shared to me by HydraGen on closing night of HHN was make a "House of Horrors" concept. It will have been a full decade since the HoH closed at USH, so why not honor it with a "tribute house"? It could also be the "budget house" of the event by reusing the UM sets and even the Chucky AAs! Could see a variation of that get shoved into the Supercharged queue as the "budget house".

Silent Hill: Only thing is IDK if they will want two video game houses assuming FNAF is happening, but we all know Murdy did say he was interested in doing it again. It may be exclusive for Hollywood since Orlando has done it previously with (From what I remember) "eh" feedback. Again, if Hollywood does it, I think it will be exclusive, personally. Will probably be wrong though.

Shows: Eh....don't know? New Purge stunt show? JABAWOCKEEZ??

The "Eh...possible but a longshot" or better yet, "I wanna see it happen but it probably won't":

It: I know some of you are like "Yeah, no", but with HMH now way behind us, maybe WB will play ball with HHN? Unless Fright Fest snags It....I think it's possible.

Scream: I'm just going to assume it ain't happening. We've all been burned too much by this. But like Hydra said, there's no movie coming out this year due to the writers strike so maybe Paramount will play ball to keep the IP fresh in people's heads.

The Thing: After seeing Chucky and Monstrous change the game with mechanical effects, imagine what they could do with the Thing! Oh wait sorry that was Hollywood. :lol: I still think it would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If they do decide to do the Thing, maybe they can consult with Hollywood's mechanical effects team or bring them over here lol.

Wild Cards:

Jack Vs Oddfellow: I read the rumors, I want it to happen. They will probably want to save this concept for 35, but I think it would be dope.

The Weeknd: Dawn FM: I only see this if they can't get Freddy and Jason again. He's doing a North American Tour so there's that. I think it's possible.

Jordan Peele movie next year: Might be the next marketing mandate house that Believer was. We'll see. Isn't he remaking People Under the Stairs?

That's all I've got for initial speculation. What do y'all think?

Hi all, admittedly very out of the loop with everything to do with rights etc - but has there ever been talk of an A24 house? Based on the Ari Aster films or the Pearl / X / MaXXXine series? Apologies if this is an obvious 'no' but never seen it in spec before so just wondering!

Reactions: EnigmaticGear
Hi all, admittedly very out of the loop with everything to do with rights etc - but has there ever been talk of an A24 house? Based on the Ari Aster films or the Pearl / X / MaXXXine series? Apologies if this is an obvious 'no' but never seen it in spec before so just wondering!
People speculate about them, but they’ve never actually been rumored. Whether that’s because Universal has never tried to get the rights or because A24 refuses to sell them, we don’t know.

I’m a bit shocked that we’re two pages in and no one has mentioned “Crystal Lake” yet.

A Peacock original based around the Friday the 13th series that’s set to debut sometime in 2024 seems like a no-brainer.

Oh…and for Fall of the House of Usher. I think it has more house potential than people are giving it.

Verna is a better villain than “bent-neck lady”, just based on the fact that “bent-neck lady” wasn’t even a villain. She was the ghost of the most sympathetic character

I’m a bit shocked that we’re two pages in and no one has mentioned “Crystal Lake” yet.

A Peacock original based around the Friday the 13th series that’s set to debut sometime in 2024 seems like a no-brainer.
Idk about everyone else but if we get Jason I’ll rather it be actual Jason instead of kid Jason.

Oh…and for Fall of the House of Usher. I think it has more house potential than people are giving it.

Verna is a better villain than “bent-neck lady”, just based on the fact that “bent-neck lady” wasn’t even a villain. She was the ghost of the most sympathetic character
Isn’t there controversy to that new series that’s being made?

• Wow
Reactions: Ahmanet
I’ll post my full spec line up a little later but I have to admit I’m amazed not a single person has mentioned Wednesday. It checks all of the boxes in my opinion for a soft horror house like Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, Stranger Things, etc. not to mention it was Extremely well received when it released and I could be wrong but I believe it was one of the most watched shows EVER on Netflix. Seems like a no brainer to me