Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 168 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Scott has made the FNAF movie difficult to bring to the big screen for the past 10 years(?). No need to really have a quote from him since his reputation is enough of a turn off.

While some difficult people/companies do have a good result (2007 NLC) despite several strings attached, the restrictiveness on IPs can almost make it not worth the attempt
In his defense most of the pitches he received were terrible and included things like the characters being killed plushies instead of mascots, a government lab being built under Freddy's and a light hearted road trip movie where one of the animatronics ends up in a pawn shop and the others have to find them.

The movie we did get was pretty mid but not horrendous like these pitches.

Reactions: bdubsCEO
Such a bummer if true, really seems like they dropped the ball with IPs this year sadly.
I'm not trying to flame you in any capacity, but they're literally the GOAT when it comes to having IPs at their event. There's not going to be an instance where they drop the ball. Certain stars may not have aligned, circumstances may have prevented something, but the corporate institution that has been doing this for over 30 years didn't miss.

I'm not trying to flame you in any capacity, but they're literally the GOAT when it comes to having IPs at their event. There's not going to be an instance where they drop the ball. Certain stars may not have aligned, circumstances may have prevented something, but the corporate institution that has been doing this for over 30 years didn't miss.
I don’t disagree, but I think it’s fair to be disappointed with the *alleged* IP lineup.

I don't see where people say that if we don't have Weeknd or FNAF on the line up that it makes the line up all in all a terrible line up when we don't know what the true line up aside from the insiders lol and that line up although interesting could be a stellar line up, the previous years have proved this.
Ironically for years people have derided both properties. If anything it's another example (not just for the event, it happens all the time in all markets) that fans don't know whats best for a event (product).

That being said, with all the smoke screens we've seen the last few years, I agree entirely. I think there's an intentional knowledge gap right now on what we know and what's coming.

Reactions: PrimalScream1996
The best houses at the event are almost always originals. Very arguably the events best years came before IPs shifted into high gear with HHN 22 (a change that led to the events most lackluster period, the Walking Dead era).

There have been great IP houses, certainly, but originals have the huge advantage of being designed specifically as houses, crafted carefully to convey narrative and atmosphere in that specific medium. Even the best IP houses rely heavily on reminding guests of pre-existing media to achieve their desired emotional response rather than standing on their own merits.

The fact that much of this angst originated with the possible loss of the meritless Five Nights IP makes it all the more absurd.

The event will be as good as ever regardless of IPs.

As someone who's a huge fan of FNaF and has wanted to see it come to the event for 10 years now, am I a little disappointed it's probably not coming? Yes, absolutely.

Does that mean the event is now gonna suck and all the IP houses are bad? Heck no! Silver Scream Queens for the Monsters will be very fun, A Quiet Place could potentially be one of the most interesting houses, Insidious might not be too relevant anymore, but the 2015 house was terrifying. And while I wasn't a fan of the 2019 Ghostbusters house (and really not much of a GB fan period), I don't think the event is gonna be absolutely terrible and doom and gloom now, before literally *anything* has even been officially announced!

Long and short of it is that it's speculation season, things can change at literally any second, but guess what? HHN is only 3 months away, and we're all still gonna have a fantastic time going back into the Fog, regardless of whether you think the IP lineup is lackluster or not (which is okay to think... when the IPs are actually announced!).

Besides, this doesn't mean FNaF is never coming. We still got two more movies on the way and potentially more, it always has a chance in the future.

Could GB be an Original house?

Meaning not tied to any movies - like a side quest with new ghosts / villain
I'd say there's a 0.01% chance of this happening...simply because it's an active franchise with a new movie having come out this year and plans (at least originally, the disappointing box office of Frozen Empire might have an impact) for a trilogy closer in the near future.

IPs like The Thing, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc that have had "original" interpretations were usually dormant franchises. Ones that didn't have an ongoing story arc/timeline they were trying to maintain. Some of them had reboots and other stuff, but not something like Ghostbusters where all the (living) main characters and talent are involved in "proper" sequels that were "canon" to the franchise.

Now, something like Poltergeist where you take something canon and put a unique spin on it, in small elements through the house? Sure, maybe. But they're not going to allow you to do something fully unique that has the potential to confuse people about the overall story of the films.

Remember that Legacy said the reason everybody KNEW Ghostbusters was coming before was that Dan Aykroyd was seen backstage inspecting what they did to give it his blessing. No way he'd/they'd allow a completely original take using the IP characters at this point. There's no benefit to it...and in fact, it could be seen as a slap in the face like, "what YOU did wasn't good enough for us, we want to do something different."

The best houses at the event are almost always originals. Very arguably the events best years came before IPs shifted into high gear with HHN 22 (a change that led to the events most lackluster period, the Walking Dead era).

There have been great IP houses, certainly, but originals have the huge advantage of being designed specifically as houses, crafted carefully to convey narrative and atmosphere in that specific medium. Even the best IP houses rely heavily on reminding guests of pre-existing media to achieve their desired emotional response rather than standing on their own merits.

The fact that much of this angst originated with the possible loss of the meritless Five Nights IP makes it all the more absurd.

The event will be as good as ever regardless of IPs.
Originals are always the best! When I ask others what is their favorite houses or I overhear other while waiting in the queues, 9/10 times it’s an original. That’s why I’m very excited for this 4/6 split.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
Such a bummer if true, really seems like they dropped the ball with IPs this year sadly.
Other than a bit of merch sales*, I don't think it matters. The numbers last year show the event itself is the IP. If the rumors are correct, use GB because they like being in the GB business, use Insidious because they like being in the Blumhouse business, and use AQP because it's a unique concept that will get people talking (no pun intended), show off what they can do.

I'm a tad concerned the year might feel a little "samey" but that's as much if we get another Bride house, two recycled "house" IPs and another Mummy-centered house. But God is in the details, let's see what spin they put on these (if that's even what they are).

* - FN@F probably would've sold well enough, but that IP's been well-represented at Target and Hot Topic for years now. NOES might be good for a couple shirts, but again, not the first opportunity to buy merch yanked from the zeitgeist like TWD and ST were.

Woah I didn't say the event would suck just that our alleged IP lineup is disappointing.
I mean, it's splitting hairs over the "sucks" verbiage - but a lot of the comments have been overdramatic; especially when it proves no one knows absolutely nothing about anything this year. No one can even say any one rumor is a "lock" (for lack of a better term).

Throwing out some food for thought, could we potentially see an announcement (specifically Monsters) this week or next week for Spooky Empire? The reason I think so is thanks to this from Alicia and Legacy:

Why not both?

Of course, could be absolutely nothing, and it's best to not expect anything, but just throwing the thought out there.