Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 275 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I liked the announcement video, but I have to say the hate for the video and this announcement was completely out of left field and wasn’t expected. I thought it would be another week or two. I have a feeling this will get The Exorcist: Believer treatment, and be way better than the movie and a sleeper hit.

I actually really liked this announcement video.

Enough nods to the film, with the chess and Garraka, to let those who know know exactly what it’s referencing. The ultimate Ghostbusters reveal at the end is subversive and fun enough to give a sense of tone. I think it works.

Sure, it’s pretty contrived. But, considering what it’s for (and with no expectations… which is important) I think it’s good.

I don’t wanna get all conspiracy theorist here, but with Ghostbusters (classic) now in the parade, and the parks have the license back, you have to wonder if Sony wanted the next HHN house to be based on the current film, even though UOR is always all about the original. You gotta make the rights holders happy. Okay, taking off my tin foil hat now.

well since they already did the first movie for hhn, they would have to do GB2, which a lot of people hate, even Bill Murray lol.
so it kind of makes perfect sense to do the new movie, not only to promote it but also for the merch, and because it is fresh on peoples minds. people liked it
it kind of makes perfect sense to do it.
the replies on insta seem to be really really positive, feels like the right call.

I havent seen the new GB film yet... saying that, holy cow that hype video sucked!!!! Does it have anything to do with Frozen Empire??
the movie to be honest was kinda boring and didnt have much ghosts or ghostbusting, im not even sure how they are going to fill this house, they are going to have to bring ghosts from the other movies. i dont remember that many ghosts
OK… it doesn’t matter much and won’t harm the overall event, which still looks great, but…

This is, in fact, a pretty bad IP lineup.

Originals make or break HHN, and this year has some really strong looking originals. I do wish Insidious’s location were swapped with Sweets or Goblins or even Uni monsters and that Blumhouse wasn’t getting the prime scarezone spot. Feels like execs overreacting to a lack of top IPs.

the houses might be great but this year does feel like the weakest year of ips that i can think of, not that the ips are weak on their own as movies or franchises, but for hhn, it feels kind of underwhelming,

With the increasing difficulty of securing top flight IPs and an exponentially weaker competitor like Six Flag’s Halloween event having a much stronger IP lineup (that they can’t begin to do justice), it’s increasingly clear that the success of HHN depends on the quality of its originals - which is great, because that’s always been the event’s overwhelming strength. I suspect what we’re seeing is a period of adjustment as execs obsessed with film-centered synergy panic about an emerging new reality and but too much emphasis on IPs that can’t handle the weight of expectations. The event should emerge from the shift all the stronger.

I think there's something to this. This will especially be a concern on the Hollywood side, which has historically resisted originals (though is slowly becoming receptive to them almost out of necessity) and relied on major IPs to distinguish themselves from the competition.

as for the Ghostbusters announcement video, i might be the only person to see this, as dumb as it sounds, but i was just happy to see some hispanic representation lol :lmao: everyone calling it cringe but the ad spoke to me lol:nervous: that was a situation i can relate to. (being yelled at for a messy room and leaving the tv on lol)
at the end i expected the mom to hit the ghost with her sandal lol:lmao:

I agree with many that this year's (rumored) IP lineup is on the weak side, but I wouldn't call it the absolute worst. Here's how I rank the event's last 10 years as far as strength/draw of the actual IPs featured (not on how well the houses were executed):
  1. 28
  2. 32
  3. 24
  4. 29
  5. 25
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 33*
  9. 31
  10. 30

Reactions: snayberry
I agree with many that this year's (rumored) IP lineup is on the weak side, but I wouldn't call it the absolute worst. Here's how I rank the event's last 10 years as far as strength/draw of the actual IPs featured (not on how well the houses were executed):
  1. 28
  2. 32
  3. 24
  4. 29
  5. 25
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 33*
  9. 31
  10. 30
I cant lie...IP houses have always been the worst houses to me. I did like Last of Us(I must have had better runs than many people) but the line was never worth even trying it. The Monsters houses are IPs technically...but they dont actually follow specific movies. They are always the best of the IPs to me. I drive 9 hours to HHN for the atmosphere, food and original houses.

I'm gonna be honest - I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually discuss, in-depth, an announcement video.

People seem genuinely driven to hate this year of HHN for some reason lol
I think the hate has a lot to do with the IP lineup being a bit underwhelming. Even though we all know that Originals will always be what comes out on top every year.

I think also it’s safe to say at this point that the “OTIS” monster arch blob thing is a nothing burger and is being used for marketing. Which probably rubbed some the wrong way. I could be wrong but I would bet on that being the case at this point.

Throw in the impossible expectations that Triplets was suppose to meet by being the “secret original” which ended up being admittedly underwhelming.

I feel the hate is stemming from what people THOUGHT this year was going to be like and the reality of it not meeting their expectations.
Nevertheless, we still have a few more announcements left and could be in for some surprises with zones.

I just wanna listen to those podcasts man, that’s all I want :lmao:

I'm gonna be honest - I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually discuss, in-depth, an announcement video.

People seem genuinely driven to hate this year of HHN for some reason lol
Video was ok, I'm used to HHN producing stuff towards the social media crowd (aka Scream Squad), and has no impact on my expectations for the house or event really.

I think the use of hate is a strong word that misrepresents people's feeling towards the event. Sure there have been a lot of negativity over the merchandise (understandable) and questionable IP choices, but I don't think any of us on here are stating that we hate the event. We all know the quality of the originals are pretty much expected to match, and often exceed, the previous iteration of originals.

I feel the hate is stemming from what people THOUGHT this year was going to be like and the reality of it not meeting their expectations.
Yeah I think this is it. Swap out Insidious for FNAF and Triplets for the originally rumored ANOES and I think we’d be having discussions much more akin to the hype that filled that air last year at this point.

I think also it’s safe to say at this point that the “OTIS” monster arch blob thing is a nothing burger and is being used for marketing. Which probably rubbed some the wrong way. I could be wrong but I would bet on that being the case at this point.
I'm not convinced of this yet - we didn't get any Oddfellow details until the dump last year; then he basically dominated the theme of the event.

I think people definitely got too caught up in their expectations for this year. The thing is, like others have said, there's a very good chance FNAF and NOES were never on the table to begin with.