Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 345 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's technically a dress rehearsal.
Yeah that’s what TM preview is:lmao::lmao:
And it gives them a day to tweak things before opening night.

Also it being on a Tuesday isn't abnormal.
I thought it was usually the night before the event. Obviously PN is that Thursday so thought it would be on a Wednesday then lol. I’m not a TM so I don’t really pay attention to when it is.

I thought it was usually the night before the event
No. It has almost always been on Tues/Wed, depending on opening night. I believe there was one random year it was the night before, but it was a rare occurrence.

Even Hollywood does their preview night 1-2 nights in advance to allow for any tweaks/adjustments. (or sometimes FINISH things)

I don't know if it's been the different/weird release schedules or the fact that I haven't been paying much attention to spoilers/construction updates but I don't feel the HHN hype as much so far this year. Maybe it's just me. I know the event will still be great but the hype isn't as strong this year in my eyes.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been the different/weird release schedules or the fact that I haven't been paying much attention to spoilers/construction updates but I don't feel the HHN hype as much so far this year. Maybe it's just me. I know the event will still be great but the hyper isn't as strong this year in my eyes.
Feeling this myself, anecdotally seeing it on social media. Some theories in rough order, tho all probably contribute:
  • Lack of any truly killer IPs (after arguably the two hottest in the land last year, at least on paper) and an original line-up that relies on sequels -- while at the same time, Epic Universe and the D23 announcements are taking the air out of the room in terms of theme park discussion
  • The general malaise the country falls into every election year -- arguably worse this year as we come down off the post-COVID high, both emotionally and economically
  • HHN starts too damn early. Mid-September was the rule for over a decade, early Labor Day has us starting in August.
  • Everything in Orlando theme parks runs in cycles. For a time, you couldn't think about parking at EPCOT during Food & Wine on a weekend. Or the lines just to enter into Osbourne Lights. HHN might be nearing the end of its "insanely popular with the normies" cycle, the crowd just hasn't figured out what to move onto next.

Feeling this myself, anecdotally seeing it on social media. Some theories in rough order, tho all probably contribute:
  • Lack of any truly killer IPs (after arguably the two hottest in the land last year, at least on paper) and an original line-up that relies on sequels -- while at the same time, Epic Universe and the D23 announcements are taking the air out of the room in terms of theme park discussion
  • The general malaise the country falls into every election year -- arguably worse this year as we come down off the post-COVID high, both emotionally and economically
  • HHN starts too damn early. Mid-September was the rule for over a decade, early Labor Day has us starting in August.
  • Everything in Orlando theme parks runs in cycles. For a time, you couldn't think about parking at EPCOT during Food & Wine on a weekend. Or the lines just to enter into Osbourne Lights. HHN might be nearing the end of its "insanely popular with the normies" cycle, the crowd just hasn't figured out what to move onto next.
I still think HHN is popular, it's difficult to compete with the chaos of the world and D23/Epic Universe.

Not exactly confident in your last point just yet about people moving away from HHN, but last year we saw significant dislike towards how busy/oversold the event was. And there's definite fatigue when it comes to events, Disney shortened their festivals this year after starting F&W mid-July and a lot of Mardi Gras booths this year were closed early due to lack of interest/demand. HHN is a different caliber of an event though, so we shall see what happens, but I have a feeling October will follow last year's trend.

UO has all their chips on it being EU
Yeah. It's theirs to lose -- but after a quarter-century as a Universal stan, I fully expect them to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

As we wander off-topic, noticed Disney dusted off decades-old Monsters Inc and Villain Kingdom plans. I wonder if the "tweener" DHS Halloween party plans were maybe filed away in the drawer as well. Speaking of potential game-changers...

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Grabnar
Definitely an off-year for me personally. Just not a ton that I'm entirely pumped to check out like there has been in previous years. A lot of the lineup feels like retreads or things that just don't grab me.

That said, I've had doubts about HHN offerings in the past and I've been proven completely wrong numerous times! Sometimes the highest parts of my anticipation list don't do anything for me, and the lowest surprise me in ways I didn't even think possible. It's all about what happens once the gates open, the cast's get a grasp of their roles and costumes, and the thing actually comes to life. Blurbs can really say anything you want them to say. There's a lot to be at least interested in this year; Slaughter Sinema 2, how the heck they're gonna pull off AQP, the complete wild card of Triplets, a new different take on Nightmare Fuel for the first time basically ever, two new house locations and a bunch of new operations adjustments because of it, our first set of Dual Icons. It's gonna be a strange year, but I've got hope for it yet.

I don't know if it's been the different/weird release schedules or the fact that I haven't been paying much attention to spoilers/construction updates but I don't feel the HHN hype as much so far this year. Maybe it's just me. I know the event will still be great but the hype isn't as strong this year in my eyes.
Personally ascribing it to:
1) Weird/no releases and info. Marketing strategy seems disjointed and unorganized which makes the event take on some of that same energy.
2) We're coming off of a very organized and tied together year in terms of lore so from a fan perspective going back to a more normal Icon year is jarring.

Keeping an open mind for the event though, the UTH pics look like good form, but won't know until everything is in show.

Status
Not open for further replies.