Harmonious | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Harmonious

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Chapek came up with the idea for Harmonious. It all makes sense now.
I don't see what this matters at all... I thought the consensus was that Harmonious was even the better of the two new nighttime shows anyway? Does that mean he deserves praise?

According to this, all Chapek said was “why don’t we do a Disney concert? Everyone loves Disney music”.

To me, people are more upset about the ineffectiveness of the barges, the less than stellar graphics and the overall execution… but they seem to like this show over Enchantment.

Everyone always quick to be upset with Chapek, the lightning rod of the corporation, meanwhile there are show designers and the head of WDW actually building and overseeing the show but we’re gonna blame the CEO for one sentence he said at the start.

I don't see what this matters at all... I thought the consensus was that Harmonious was even the better of the two new nighttime shows anyway? Does that mean he deserves praise?

According to this, all Chapek said was “why don’t we do a Disney concert? Everyone loves Disney music”.

To me, people are more upset about the ineffectiveness of the barges, the less than stellar graphics and the overall execution… but they seem to like this show over Enchantment.

Everyone always quick to be upset with Chapek, the lightning rod of the corporation, meanwhile there are show designers and the head of WDW actually building and overseeing the show but we’re gonna blame the CEO for one sentence he said at the start.
Harmonious is better in terms of it's grandness and for the arsenal of tricks it has up it's sleeve yes. I actually don't find Enchantment to be that bad in person, it's just a downgrade from what we had.

I just found it funny, but yeah, the Imagineers are the ones that deserve the blame for the barges being as they are during the day, Chapek wasn't creatively involved in this process other than that one sentence.

Reactions: Alicia
Harmonious is better in terms of it's grandness and for the arsenal of tricks it has up it's sleeve yes. I actually don't find Enchantment to be that bad in person, it's just a downgrade from what we had.

I just found it funny, but yeah, the Imagineers are the ones that deserve the blame for the barges being as they are during the day, Chapek wasn't creatively involved in this process other than that one sentence.
Yea, having the songs sung in languages from around the world wasn’t even his idea. He barely helped, and is now gonna get all the credit due to headlines lol

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think people are bringing it up because that quote is extremely on-brand for Chapek. Like, to an almost comical extent.

Of course he would suggest a concert of Disney songs. I think that would be his suggestion for any project, whether it fits or not.

“Chapek ruined it” is pretty much a running gag now in the Disney community so I’m not surprised a article came out out claiming it was his idea.

Illuminations was boring.

Runs away.
tumblr_oy8kg6Cnds1qmob6ro1_500.gifv

I kid... but Reflections of Earth was the perfect spectacular for Epcot with the greatest score to ever grace such a nighttime show.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I bet Chapek would be twice as popular as he is now if he didn't seem like he was itching in his skin everytime he says something or gives his speech. Dude just doesn't have the touch.
It was very evident when watching the Enchantment live feed and the two Bob's were on stage speaking together. They're both reading off of a prompter, but when Chapek says things, it just comes across as fake and I basically tuned him out because he just sounds like he''s delivering Disney propaganda. Contrast that to when Iger speaks and it's night and day. Iger is a great public speaker and I can see why he thought about going into politics as he sounds like a politician in the way that, yes, he's reading off of a prompter, but he also comes across in a likable and respectable way.

As you said, Chapek just doesn't have it, which is an odd thing to say about a Disney CEO, as Eisner was a great speaker as well and much like Walt, he did many specials just for TV from WDW or DL when there was something new he wanted to show off. Card Walker was probably the last CEO who was anywhere near as uncomfortable publicly as Chapek is, but he was sincere and loved Disney.

Reactions: belloq87
All the credit? It would have been better had he not "suggested" shoehorning in tunes based on Disney cartoons.

Disney should have learned how to boil a frog when it comes to this show, slowly integrating in music than a full lean into Happily Ever After 2.0. To quote another Disney song, a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

As for Chapek, the guy can’t schmooze and has the on air personality of a used car dealership salesman.

Reactions: belloq87
Illuminations was boring.

Runs away.
I wouldn't use the word boring

One of its biggest flaws was it leaned on a media source that a lot of people couldn't see

At the same time, the LED tech used in the show was primitive at best

I think IllumiNations achieved a lot more than Harmonius does

That being said, I would never compare the two as they don't really have the same goal

And a show like IllumiNations ROE is hard to replicate and assume Disney is going to do again in the current 'IP is king' climate

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I wouldn't use the word boring

One of its biggest flaws was it leaned on a media source that a lot of people couldn't see

At the same time, the LED tech used in the show was primitive at best

That being said, I would never compare the two as they don't really have the same goal

And a show like IllumiNations ROE is hard to replicate and assume Disney is going to do again in the current 'IP is king' climate
I’ll rephrase. I was bored during Illuminations.

On a thematic and storytelling level, the former was easily far more ambitious than the latter. It was trying to truly honor the spirit of World Showcase.

Reflections of Earth had more of an uplifting impact on me than any other fireworks/nighttime show Disney's ever crafted (that I've witnessed).

Being bored is great. Gives you time to think and take things in. Most things that are made now are much too afraid that you'll be bored, even for a second. Which is probably why stuff like Horizons, The Great Movie Ride, Universe of Energy, and World of Motion don't exist anymore.

I’ll rephrase. I was bored during Illuminations.
I could see how

Again, it was relying waaay to heavily on the Earth globe during the Order act

I also hesitate because I can't hold it to a technology standard that didn't exist at the time of inception

However, I do wish they would have updated it with new tech at some point

For all the negativity around anything Harmonius...You CAN see what's on the screens and there is something going on the entire time

I could see how

Again, it was relying waaay to heavily on the Earth globe during the Order act

I also hesitate because I can't hold it to a technology standard that didn't exist at the time of inception

However, I do wish they would have updated it with new tech at some point

For all the negativity around anything Harmonius...You CAN see what's on the screens and there is something going on the entire time
The start and end of Illuminations was uplifting and inspiring. The middle of Harmonious was fun and vibrant. Neither felt like complete and totally fulfilling shows to me, but I guess that’s just how I’ll always feel about EPCOT lagoon shows.

Reactions: shiekra38