HHN 19 - Ripped from the Silver Screen | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 19 - Ripped from the Silver Screen

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We haven't seen ANYTHING about the event, other than the major draws. The Ph.D scholar in me says that, if there won't be a brand new icon, we will have the Director.

While logically that makes perfect sense, need I remind you that two years ago, the major draws were Freddy, Jason and Leatherface - all movie icons - and the icon was Jack the Clown.

USF didn't even go to the effort of explaining why. At least the USH event had a full detailed backstory of how Jack was a psychotic, unstable young man obsessed with movies and theatrics, and emulated his "heros" - thus bringing each to life.

Going *back* to USF's afterward made the event make a lot more sense to me.

Here is the story of Jack from the 2007 website.
http://websites.horrornights.be/2007site/orlando/taleofjack.html
It also says that Jack was searching the world for haunts for his carnival which is how he came upon Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface.

Thanks for posting that. Cool to see. The USH backstory was definitely MUCH more detailed, with "vintage" video footage of him growing up, etc. It was apart of the "Terror Tram" overlay to the Backlot Tram Tour. The whole drive down the hill to the sets featured a video pre-show of sorts that sets up the entire event. I wish there was an opportunity for something like that in Orlando. Everything about the event felt so much more connected and clear.

I think it's cool that they put effort into the website, but I ABSOLUTELY am not a believe of *having to read it* to understand what's going on. A good story should be clear on it's own - be it through the use of a pre-show like USH or some other means - but you should not *only* "Get it" if you read things on a website before hand.

Last year's event was so detached to me that my friend actually had to explain themes and backstories to me as we walk through. He's a writer so he studied up on the stuff, otherwise I would have had no clue why things were themed the way that they were.

There's story, and then there's spectacle. Both are important, and some times too much of either can harm the overall product. Though Universal is obsessed with host "icon" characters these days, they rely much more on spectacle, which really make it even harder to sometimes understand the STORY of why all the mazes fit together and mesh as one experience.

Would anyone have understood why Freddy / Jason / Leatherface were involved without knowing the background that you mentioned or learning about it at USH? No. They'd think "Oh neat, these are popular movies and they're scary so they're at the Halloween event" - not "Jack brought them here as his side show." I wish they'd get back to balancing story with spectacle like they used to ten or so years ago. It's for that reason that I feel like the event has just been lacking for the last several years.

I hope that Eddie is the icon this year. His entire story revolves around his love for horror movies. It would also make sense because chainsaws seem pretty good for "ripping". If Eddie is the icon the title would be a lot better in my opinion.

I hope that Eddie is the icon this year. His entire story revolves around his love for horror movies. It would also make sense because chainsaws seem pretty good for "ripping". If Eddie is the icon the title would be a lot better in my opinion.

There have been so many times that Eddie was intended to finally be used, including a few years ago when he was announced and even then not used. For whatever reason, I just don't think you'll ever meet him.

The reason he was not used in 2001 (the year he was supposed to be the icon at) was because of 9/11. Universal decided that the last thing people wanted on their mind was death so they removed the chainsaw maniac and put Jack in. Here is to hoping that he comes out to play this year.

The reason he was not used in 2001 (the year he was supposed to be the icon at) was because of 9/11. Universal decided that the last thing people wanted on their mind was death so they removed the chainsaw maniac and put Jack in. Here is to hoping that he comes out to play this year.

Correct. In 2001. He was intended to be brought back to the event a few years later, and at the 11th hour, was cut again in favor of Jack. And then there was the "icon house" a few years ago in the Herc & Xena building, which had rooms for Caretaker, Director, Jack and Eddie, except Eddie wasn't even in his own scene.

It's 7 o'clock, on the dot
I'm in my droptop, cruising the streets
I got a really pretty pretty little thang that's waiting for me....

I wanna, do, somethin' freaky to youuuuuu. Callllll out my nammmmeeeee.

I saw it and was like, that's not even a rank. I come back after checking on the user rank board and your back to carpet flyer. It said Time Traveler and had the back of the DeLorean.

I saw it and was like, that's not even a rank. I come back after checking on the user rank board and your back to carpet flyer. It said Time Traveler and had the back of the DeLorean.

Haha, interesting. I've been campaigning for "Emperor," but that's because I just want an illogical title :p

I would have thought Countdown to Extinction when I heard Time Traveler. Knowing it's BTTF, I'm glad I don't have it anymore :thumbs:

You got it, you got it bad
When you're on the phone
Hang up and you call right back
You got it, you got it bad
When you miss a day without your friend
Your whole life's off track

Know you got it bad when you're stuck in the house
You don't wanna have fun, It's all you think about
You got it bad when you're out with someone
But you keep on thinkin' bout somebody else

Also, Time Traveler is just for 88 posts. :thumbs: