HHN 2022: Horrors of Blumhouse | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2022: Horrors of Blumhouse

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Personally, my expectations just dropped tremendously for this one lol
80% Freaky and 20% Black Phone just makes Black Phone seem like a weird after thought. They literally couldn't find a third movie to add into here? Not that I hated Freaky, and not that the section looks bad, I just have zero excitement for it -- the bright colors almost make me think it'll be a comedic maze, and the Black Phone segments honestly look a little cheap and will have a stark contrast from everything else in the maze prior.
That's why I loved Vol 2. Everything worked so seamlessly. We'll wait and see.

Last edited:
80% Freaky and 20% Black Phone just makes Black Phone seem like a weird after thought. They literally couldn't find a third movie to add into here? Not that I hated Freaky, and not that the section looks bad, I just have zero excitement for it -- the bright colors almost make me think it'll be a comedic maze, and the Black Phone segments honestly look a little cheap and will have a stark contrast from everything else in the maze prior.
Honestly seeing it now I'm starting to think it may have just been a very poor location choice. I'm not sure where i'd rather it be, but i think its gonna be really hard for them to sell the Black Phone basement scene with a wide open ceiling and probably a decent amount of light polution from the neighboring scarezones and citywalk. Gonna make it reeeeeally hard for the sky to get dark enough to not be distracting in there.

I wouldn’t say it’s 80/20. It’s def closer to 60/40. Murdy just spent more time on Freaky since Black Phone was more self explanatory, and also - there was inspections that made the tour more rushed at the end.

Black Phone scenes are much larger than the Freaky - which is mostly tight pathways with scenes to your right or left. Black Phone is full rooms.

Reactions: Freak and Clive
I wouldn’t say it’s 80/20. It’s def closer to 60/40. Murdy just spent more time on Freaky since Black Phone was more self explanatory, and also - there was inspections that made the tour more rushed at the end.

Black Phone scenes are much larger than the Freaky - which is mostly tight pathways with scenes to your right or left. Black Phone is full rooms.

Is there only one basement set though? That's what I was interested in.

Is there only one basement set though? That's what I was interested in.

Yes. You’re walking through the house so you go through the living room, then the kitchen, then to the basement, then it’s a finale with The Grabber jumping out everywhere. They took some creative liberties to avoid the repetitiveness (and does not suffer from Black Wall Syndrome).

TBH, I’ve heard a lot of praise for it so far. We’ll see how that translates Opening Night.

Yes. You’re walking through the house so you go through the living room, then the kitchen, then to the basement, then it’s a finale with The Grabber jumping out everywhere. They took some creative liberties to avoid the repetitiveness (and does not suffer from Black Wall Syndrome).

TBH, I’ve heard a lot of praise for it so far. We’ll see how that translates Opening Night.
Holy crap that is shocking and amazing. I was totally expecting this to go crazy with black walls.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Really random thought, but having seen both this version and Orlando's, I kinda really wish we had gotten Freaky as a solo maze and they got Black Phone as a solo maze.
Would've been nice to see them expand on their individual strong suits rather than create a lackluster combo either way.

Reactions: Freak
Really random thought, but having seen both this version and Orlando's, I kinda really wish we had gotten Freaky as a solo maze and they got Black Phone as a solo maze.
Would've been nice to see them expand on their individual strong suits rather than create a lackluster combo either way.

That would have worked that way. Both Freaky and Black Phone just simply don't work as a combo.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks

It's weird to think that Hollywood did Freaky better and Orlando, Black Phone. You'd think it'd be the reverse.

Reactions: Freak
It's weird to think that Hollywood did Freaky better and Orlando, Black Phone. You'd think it'd be the reverse.
Tbh I think it tracks. Hollywood has a history of struggling with both single-room horror, and with movies with a lot of dialogue carrying the weight of the story, which Black Phone is both. Tbh it's surprising just how many dialogue-based scenes there are in the Freaky section given that fact, but that's just how it came out I guess.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
I really enjoy this Blumhouse, a lot surprisingly. Love how well executed the Freaky half is, the girls playing Milly always have such a great evil energy and the Butchers are relentless and everywhere. Sure the Black Phone section is sparse but those Grabbers are just everywhere and very aggressive. Shoutout to the scrim Grabber at the very beginning and the shirtless Grabber. Probably in my top half of Hollywood this year.

I really enjoy this Blumhouse, a lot surprisingly. Love how well executed the Freaky half is, the girls playing Milly always have such a great evil energy and the Butchers are relentless and everywhere. Sure the Black Phone section is sparse but those Grabbers are just everywhere and very aggressive. Shoutout to the scrim Grabber at the very beginning and the shirtless Grabber. Probably in my top half of Hollywood this year.

I absolutely agree. As it stands, Blumhouse is my third favorite house this year! The cast energy is phenomenal and the Freaky section feels like it’s been ripped out of the film. Black Phone could be longer, but nonetheless has some great scares and moments.

This one is definitely the best underrated house of the year. Not as good as Vol 2, imo, but still very good, and much better than Vol 1.

honestly wish murdy could've used the blackphone space to just do a full Freaky. This house is great! Liked it more than Orlando's personally, I went through that one twice and it just didn't connect with me