HHN 2022: Horrors of Blumhouse | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2022: Horrors of Blumhouse

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The way I see it, trying to expand it beyond all possible means (and spoilers, ofcourse): outside scene with the van and black balloons where you get sprayed, introductory basement scene to The Grabber, turn a corner to see rugs and bathroom (not sure what will be the scare here, probably just a transition scene), a couple of kid scares in boo holes with their voices through the phones, back to the basement scene maybe with the kid floating upside down as a distraction with another Grabber scare, more boo hole children and Grabbers, upstairs where we have to maneuver around The Grabber waiting with the belt to escape, and some final boo hole scares.

...I guess that makes half a maze.

Well you'll never get Sinister house but hey it's made by the same people who made Sinister lol, the scenes will work for Black Phone, they have reason to use now Black Walls for the scenes among using wall sets as well.

• Haha
Reactions: jarmor
If they're clever, they'll have some fun with the Super 8 film aesthetic. That can give you a few extra environments in addition to the Grabber's basement and ground floor quarters.

I think that, given that it's only half of a house, there's enough times when the action moves outside of the room to where we only need a couple transition scenes beyond a literal translation of what's in the film, but this is also a really clever solution that I hope they incorporate. They can use scrim effects/disappearing hallway gags to get around the "wait why are we in this environment" problem.

Jump Scare with Finney slamming the door, like in Gwen's first dream. Banging window scare behind a scrim.

Disappearing Hallway a la Insidious, but with the drugstore/pinball machine. Or maybe even a whole empty house facade, that'd be cool.

Other potential scares: someone coming out of the hole in the wall where the freezer was, ankle height.

I can think of a couple potential transitions that are explicitly in the film: the bathroom, and they can potentially split the kitchen with the sleeping Grabber and Finney's first escape out into the neighborhood with van scare into two transitions. 3-4 instances of the basement with some transitions+scares should cover half a house.

Another way to squeeze in a transition is to literalize the tunnel digging and use cave environments, though that's a little more boring.

So I think Hollywood's translation of the Black Phone may suffer from the black hallways, as I can see them using the ghosts in that setting. Hopefully, it doesn't rely on it too much.
that's sorta my fear honestly on Hollywood's part where instead of using an actual scenic wall, they'll just go for straight for black walls, it wouldn't be a good look, I'm sure they'll have the stair scares I call them lol in there at some point.

Well... I mean.. it IS called the BLACK phone.. so of course they're going to give us black walls of doom. They'll just have us enter the actual phone to the ghost dimension (like 2019's Ghostbusters containment scene)....

Goosebumps:
"Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Again!"

Reactions: Freak
Well... I mean.. it IS called the BLACK phone.. so of course they're going to give us black walls of doom. They'll just have us enter the actual phone to the ghost dimension (like 2019's Ghostbusters containment scene)....

Goosebumps:
"Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Again!"
There you go. The dead kids will jump out at us in the black hallways of doom followed by the basement just like how they did the Exorcist.

Hey its Hollywood, there's nothing wrong that, we both have our representations and that's all that matters, both will definitely deliver well I'm sure.

No. There is EVERYTHING wrong with that. And your statement of "its Hollywood", is the perfect example of the reputation we DON'T want the event to be known for.

We're still suffering from 2017's event
Alright, lets take it down a notch, I'm not the one who's making the maze, that's Murdy and co. Murdy makes the rules for his maze and presents his mazes as such, I'm not knocking on the house, I'm saying, Hollywood and Orlando have their own ways of doing houses, it should be entertaining for both coasts.

There's no low budget this year, Universal sorta has a high budget this year
Nobody said the budget was low this year. You literally made the comment that Hollywood only does black walls & pinned it on Murdy's design esthetic.

The west coast gives Murdy crap about the black walls because we've seen his team do better & also his trademark signature "Zs". My post about the Black Phone is comical snark. And my point is if they were able to pull off "UnFriended", they'll be able to handle Black Phone.

Nobody said the budget was low this year. You literally made the comment that Hollywood only does black walls & pinned it on Murdy's design esthetic.

The west coast gives Murdy crap about the black walls because we've seen his team do better & also his trademark signature "Zs". My post about the Black Phone is comical snark. And my point is if they were able to pull off "UnFriended", they'll be able to handle Black Phone.
I just think you're being a bit defensive over an opinion, everyone's entitled to their opinions, in a way yes Hollywood uses black walls, there are times where it calls for them and other times where they're not needed, I don't care for the Zs, its a funny murdy thing also I'm not blaming it all on Murdy, that's other people's opinions in the west coast lol.

I think he deserves to a little respect than bad from people. Unfriended and Truth or Dare were honestly terrible choices for the last one but what could they do? They worked with what they got, we've seen a lot better from their team and this year shows of course but it doesn't mean that I don't have my doubts sometimes that things could be better said than done and expectations should be low till experienced.

Last edited:
I really hoped they kept the Grabber's van in the house, apparently it was originally one of the versions of the script for the house, murdy mentioned it on twitter.