HHN 2022: Scarecrow: The Reaping | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2022: Scarecrow: The Reaping

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
God, seeing the Scarecrow coming to Hollywood is pretty much something I look forward to. Seems like HHN Hollywood is starting to get back in the groove. :grin:

I think what really got me excited was Murdy talking about all the scarecrows having glowing red eyes.
I know it sounds like something really small but thinking about it... We don't generally see costume that have special effects very often.
Sure we've seen the statues in La Llorona, Devil Demon from TITE, and some of the Purge masks but looks like it is starting to become more commonplace.
A bit off subject but I think Mummy was also using some LED effects timed with the audio. I think as the technology develops we're going to begin to start seeing some crazier costumes.

I think what really got me excited was Murdy talking about all the scarecrows having glowing red eyes.
I know it sounds like something really small but thinking about it... We don't generally see costume that have special effects very often.
Sure we've seen the statues in La Llorona, Devil Demon from TITE, and some of the Purge masks but looks like it is starting to become more commonplace.
A bit off subject but I think Mummy was also using some LED effects timed with the audio. I think as the technology develops we're going to begin to start seeing some crazier costumes.
I'm fairly certain he only meant all the crows that will adorn the sets will have red eyes.

I'm fairly certain he only meant all the crows that will adorn the sets will have red eyes.
Are you for certain?
I remember him certainly saying King Crow would have the eye effect and him saying something along the lines that all the scarecrows would have the same red eyes. Considering Mummy will be wearing a glowing necklace, don't think it's too unreasonable to think

2011's THE FORSAKEN house at HHN Orlando featured masks with glowing green eyes. I know scareactors had visibility issues at times due to the small eye holes, but I definitely appreciated the creepy glowing eyes effect

It's not too crazy to hope for glowing eyes, but I do remember that the light up Purge masks would sometimes have technical issues & not light up.

Are you for certain?
I remember him certainly saying King Crow would have the eye effect and him saying something along the lines that all the scarecrows would have the same red eyes. Considering Mummy will be wearing a glowing necklace, don't think it's too unreasonable to think

He said the crows - i.e., the birds - would have the eyes. Red glowing eyes for the scarecrows would be 1) impractical and 2) very hard on the actors' vision.

He said the crows - i.e., the birds - would have the eyes. Red glowing eyes for the scarecrows would be 1) impractical and 2) very hard on the actors' vision.
I have no scareactor experience at HHN whatsoever but have been a scareactor for a home haunt a few times. Couldn't there be a way to have a battery powered mask that has the red eyes go above the eyes cutouts?

Couldn't there be a way to have a battery powered mask that has the red eyes go above the eyes cutouts?
See previous post about 2011's Forsaken masks... they looked great but were a nightmare for scareactors. Obviously it "should" be easier to pull off 10 years later...

But as I mentioned, I've seen the light-up Purgers here have technical light up issues

Reactions: nicodingus

He said for certain that King Crow would have the glowing eye effect. I went back and looked at the video.
Maybe the other actors won't have the glowing eyes but either way it will be cool to see. Having done HHN a couple times, it's possible to setup glowing eyes that can still be seen through but I'll say having done Frankenstein in Frankenstein Meets Wolfman, if your not periodically wiping the sweat away, it CAN affect your vision. Frankenstein is "blind" in one of his eyes. Of course this is achieved with a plastic eye cover and sometimes the sweat would build up and cause depth perception issues for me. However, Frank has a silicone mask instead of Latex, latex breathes a lot more.

I'm saying this to say IF the mask is Latex, has a "vent" to allow condensation to escape, then it shouldn't affect performer's vision. And I can say this from experience.

Edit:
The visibility issue can be bypassed all together by offsetting the mask height by couple inches as well.
The true "eye holes" could simply be the mouth while the mask eyes sit on the performer's forehead/crown area.
Look at KKFOS, you can see that most performers are actually looking trough the mouth of the clown but the masks are so detailed that you can't tell and don't tend to look into the mouth area.

For reference... 19:10

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesker69 and JS610
You are correct that they could potentially pull off red eyes if the masks were designed so that the performer’s viability isn’t tied to where the character masks eyes are. However, looking at the character art released, it’s clear that the performer’s eyes will be the character’s eyes.
The stilt characters (for both this and Monsters) have different setups, so those kinds of effects are possible.

It’s also worth noting that the Frankenstein Monster masks were hellish for many performers, which supports my original point.

Just spit-balling here, but I wonder if we'll see the glorious return of the feather ninja in this house? It would make sense right after the crow pooping scene. Have a dark room with wind and loud crow sound effects and you have a good crow room right there.

Just spit-balling here, but I wonder if we'll see the glorious return of the feather ninja in this house? It would make sense right after the crow pooping scene. Have a dark room with wind and loud crow sound effects and you have a good crow room right there.
I've been putting this in the universe for years!!
I have fond memories of hearing someone go "brrghhh" in the dark followed by a nice tickle on my nose.
I swear some of those performers had so much fun with that role.

Like I'm more excited for the Tram....but this maze I know I'll love so much once I'm in it....I just love this theme

Looks excellent so far. (Also - that’s now at least three mazes with dead kids this year. Guessing tram may have a few, too.)
Yeah Hollywood really isn't too shy about dead kids. Kinda funny to think of how certain people direct their complaints, like how the burned person-turkey on the thanksgiving table of holidayz was too much, but the mangled still living body of a kid who played with fireworks is a-ok.

Either way, really liking how this is looking so far, I feel like the fact they're at least attempting to cover the black walls for outdoor scenes with foliage is a great sign. Feel like usually they'd just leave them blank.

Set designs look really high quality for this maze!!
Looks like the black wallz are used tastefully as well, just to create an "outdoor" scene.
Looking forward to this year for sure!

If this isn't my favorite of the year, I'll be shocked. Anything below my number 2 rank, then something must have gone terribly wrong.