Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 26: Most Anticipated House

Which house are you most looking forward to this year?

• American Horror Story

• The Exorcist

• Krampus

• Halloween: Hell Comes to Haddonfield

• The Walking Dead

• Texas Chain Saw Massacre

• Ghost Town: The Curse of Lightning Gulch

• Tomb of the Ancients

• Lunatics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Which haunted house are you most looking forward to this year?

Due to the Repository being an additional charge, and not officially being a "house", we are leaving it off.

*sigh* :rolleyes: Feels like it's two days ago.

1. Halloween 2 - :yikes:
2. Tomb of the Ancients - :yikes:
3. The Exorcist - :yikes:
4. Ghost Town Curse of Lighting Gulch - :clap:
5. Krampus - :D
6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - :saw:
7. American Horror Story - :shrug:
8. Lunatics Playground - :pray:
9. The Walking Dead - :horse:

1. American Horror Story
2. The Exorcist
3. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4. Tomb of the Ancients
5. Ghost Town
6. Krampus
7. Halloween 2
8. Lunatics Playground
9. The Walking Dead

1. Ghost Town
2. Krampus
3. Tomb of the Ancients
4. American Horror Story
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
6. Halloween 2
7. Lunatics 3D
8. The Exorcist

9. The Walking Dead

The only reason The Exorcist is so low is because I love that movie and the approach they are taking could completely fail.

Edit: Also, my rankings of IPs are based on how I think the house will be, not how much I like the IP (ex: not really a fan of AHS, but the different creatures and sets could make it amazing compared to the same-y TCM)

Last edited:
1. Ghost Town
2. Tomb of the Ancients
3. Krampus
4. TCM
5. Halloween 2
6. The Exorcist
7. Lunatics Playground
8. American Horror Story
9. The Walking Dead

1) The Exorcist—still the scariest movie ever made. Creative has a solid track record with “classic” horror flicks this decade. Fairly unique setting (don’t see a lot of Catholic demon houses). And come on, man, “Tubular Bells” in the queue!
Best Case Scenario: In conversation for top 5 of all time.
Worst Case Scenario: Limited setting/plot stymies Creative, we get what ends up being remembered as an interesting failure.

2) Ghost Town—I love Westerns, love original houses. Teaser art looks incredible.
Best Case Scenario: House of the year, inspires at least a 50/50 mix of IPs and originals next year.
Worst Case Scenario: Too politically correct for its own good, eschews too many genre tropes.

3) Tomb of the Ancients—Mostly same reasoning as Ghost Town. Also mummies have gotten short shrift in Halloween pop culture as of late, let’s let them be the monster to knock off zombies.
Best Case Scenario: Fun Indiana Jones vibe.
Worst Case Scenario: Marks a return to the tent houses being 2nd class also-rans.

4) Krampus—Boring movie, but with fun iconography. If Creative can bring that to life, should be a memorable dark humor house.
Best Case Scenario: My sleeper pick for House of the Year.
Worst Case Scenario: Feels like an unfunny derivative of Home for the Holidays with silly effects/costumes.

5) Halloween 2—Loved the first one. Glad to see an effort to disguise the fact it will be largely recycled.
Best Case Scenario: Like the movie, not the classic the original was but still fun with some effective jump scares.
Worst Case Scenario: AWiL 2.0 all over again

6) Lunatics Playground—I enjoy Chance, at least when she has Jack to bounce off of. Not sold on the new venue, not sold on the asylum concept being used once again, not sold on a 3-D house every year
Best Case Scenario: Finds new ways to make 3D fresh like the In Between and (to a lesser extent) Alice did.
Worst Case Scenario: Feels like an Alice rehash in a smaller, tighter venue.

7) American Horror Story—Not a fan of the show, tho it does have some memorable iconography (legitimately the only clown I’ve ever found scary). And Creative kept trying to secure the rights for years, their hearts will certainly be in this one, which goes a long way in making it enjoyable.
Best Case Scenario: A highlight reel from the show’s effects department—all the visuals, none of the nonsensical plots, hammy acting or musical numbers.
Worst Case Scenario: A double-length slog.

8) Texas Chainsaw Massacre—Never been a fan of any of the movies, despite being the target demo. Chainsaws are to the point of oversaturation at the event.
Best Case Scenario: Creative plays down the chainsaws, inspires me to go back and watch the movies again.
Worst Case Scenario: About same as 2007, just a forgettable house of hoss after hoss with a chainsaw.

9) TWD—tired show, tired haunt concept, recycled sets/costimes.
Best Case Scenario: House bombs hard enough to drop the IP next year.
Worst Case Scenario: This doesn’t actually prove to be the worst house at HHN26.

1) The Exorcist—still the scariest movie ever made. Creative has a solid track record with “classic” horror flicks this decade. Fairly unique setting (don’t see a lot of Catholic demon houses). And come on, man, “Tubular Bells” in the queue!
Best Case Scenario: In conversation for top 5 of all time.
Worst Case Scenario: Limited setting/plot stymies Creative, we get what ends up being remembered as an interesting failure.

2) Ghost Town—I love Westerns, love original houses. Teaser art looks incredible.
Best Case Scenario: House of the year, inspires at least a 50/50 mix of IPs and originals next year.
Worst Case Scenario: Too politically correct for its own good, eschews too many genre tropes.

3) Tomb of the Ancients—Mostly same reasoning as Ghost Town. Also mummies have gotten short shrift in Halloween pop culture as of late, let’s let them be the monster to knock off zombies.
Best Case Scenario: Fun Indiana Jones vibe.
Worst Case Scenario: Marks a return to the tent houses being 2nd class also-rans.

4) Krampus—Boring movie, but with fun iconography. If Creative can bring that to life, should be a memorable dark humor house.
Best Case Scenario: My sleeper pick for House of the Year.
Worst Case Scenario: Feels like an unfunny derivative of Home for the Holidays with silly effects/costumes.

5) Halloween 2—Loved the first one. Glad to see an effort to disguise the fact it will be largely recycled.
Best Case Scenario: Like the movie, not the classic the original was but still fun with some effective jump scares.
Worst Case Scenario: AWiL 2.0 all over again

6) Lunatics Playground—I enjoy Chance, at least when she has Jack to bounce off of. Not sold on the new venue, not sold on the asylum concept being used once again, not sold on a 3-D house every year
Best Case Scenario: Finds new ways to make 3D fresh like the In Between and (to a lesser extent) Alice did.
Worst Case Scenario: Feels like an Alice rehash in a smaller, tighter venue.

7) American Horror Story—Not a fan of the show, tho it does have some memorable iconography (legitimately the only clown I’ve ever found scary). And Creative kept trying to secure the rights for years, their hearts will certainly be in this one, which goes a long way in making it enjoyable.
Best Case Scenario: A highlight reel from the show’s effects department—all the visuals, none of the nonsensical plots, hammy acting or musical numbers.
Worst Case Scenario: A double-length slog.

8) Texas Chainsaw Massacre—Never been a fan of any of the movies, despite being the target demo. Chainsaws are to the point of oversaturation at the event.
Best Case Scenario: Creative plays down the chainsaws, inspires me to go back and watch the movies again.
Worst Case Scenario: About same as 2007, just a forgettable house of hoss after hoss with a chainsaw.

9) TWD—tired show, tired haunt concept, recycled sets/costimes.
Best Case Scenario: House bombs hard enough to drop the IP next year.
Worst Case Scenario: This doesn’t actually prove to be the worst house at HHN26.
I really like the way you break it down and qualify it all. Good insight into your reasoning!

1. Tomb of the Ancients - A house which is a melting pot of different cultures mythologies and creatures, plus in a claustrophobic temple? Sign me up! Hearing this is also A&D's Crown Jewel also bodes very well for this.

2. Ghost Town: The Curse of Lightning Gulch - Ah Ghost Town, a fantasic dark horse house which is finally getting it's due return. As mentioned before, even if it's only half as good as the original, it's going to be a solid house.

3. American Horror Story - While the series has been very hit or miss and every season has it's slew of writing problems, I feel it's going to fare MUCH better as a house because it's going to focus on the crazy monsters and not the problems I have with the series. (It's like Transformers, don't care for the movies but the ride is fun.) Not to mention the variety of creatures puts this in a far better position then TWD will ever be in.

4. Halloween: Hell Comes to Haddonfield - The first one was definitely a blast, hopefully this one can be a worthy successor.

5. Lunatics Playground 3D: You Won't Stand a Chance *My Dark Horse Pick* - If this house does a nice combination of general sets and 3D and really plays up the shifting of reality and fantasy, this could be a pleasant surprise.

6. Krampus - While I would personally put this higher on my rank since I love the movie and it's truly made to be a house, what concerns me is the venue and it's size. Alice last year had some pretty awkard room sizes/scare placements, I hope that was their personal choice and not what they were dealt with due to space limitations. If it's the latter, that could really hurt this house.

7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - A classic IP that can bring in great scares, though it's down low on the list due to a admittedly solid line up...that and I don't know if they can really use gas chainsaws in the sprung tents. If it's the electric kind/e- promp noise, that's a massive no for me.

8. The Exorcist - One of the most iconic Horror IP's around and it's finally getting made as a house! As it's been discussed, depending on the execution this is either going to be fantastic or horrible. There won't be a middle ground, so pressure's on to say the least. I feel it's better to keep expectations low, so if it sucks it won't sting as much.

9. TWD - 'nuff said.

1. Halloween 2 (the first house was amazing, giving me high hopes for this house)
2. AHS (I've been waiting years for this house to finally come to hhn!)
3. Tomb of the Ancients
4. Krampus
5. Ghost Town
6. The Excorcist
7. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8. A Chance in Hell (not a fan of 3D houses)
9. TWD