HHN 31: Most Anticipated House | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Most Anticipated House

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Most Anticipated House?

• Total voters

I’ll do it! It was never going to be Stranger Things. It was however a last minute replacement for a house based on the upcoming Evil Dead Rise movie, but that was scrapped most likely because the movie was delayed and wouldn’t be out in time. Stranger Things was never going to happen this year.

And also if it were ST4, what you think the whole house would be the Russian prison stuff? That would’ve been a small part of it if it was there.

Well, since we're just a week away, I might as well try to come up with a list:

10. Bugs: Eaten Alive: This is #10 but in the best way imaginable. I want nothing to do with this house and I absolutely dread the idea of going through it. The spiders will absolutely destroy me, and I'm sure that the creative team has found ways to make this house a mental nightmare on all the senses. Don't foresee myself going through this more than once, maybe twice if I've drank enough to talk myself into it.

9. Spirits of the Coven: Don't have a ton of expectations for this house. I think it's a unique concept to have this take place in a speakeasy, but really have no idea what to expect.

8. Horrors of Blumhouse: Watched both movies last week. They were both pretty fun watches. As movies, The Black Phone was better than Freaky, but as houses, I think it would be the inverse. I want to know what they're going to do for TBP. Also moderate interest to see the first house in F&F, as I'd imagine it'll be this way for years to come.

7. Universal Classic Monsters: Legends Collide: To preface, UCM at 29 was an absolute banger. Loved it. Didn't really care for Brides last year. Much like Halloween, I've seen the general premise of these characters, even if there's a new spin on it this year. Expecting it to be a good house, but not rushing to see it.

6. Hellblock Horror: I have not seen Cabin in the Woods, but seeing the internet freak out about how this supposedly sounds similar to some part of that movie feels like a good sign? From what I've gathered this feels like a high energy, chaotic house. If the cast can deliver on that, I'll be satisfied.

5. Halloween: This is where we really kick into gear on the hype train. While I just dinged UCM for being repetitive at the event, I'll move the goalpost a bit to say that this is the Halloween I've always wanted to see (the OG). Yes, a similar version was at the event for HHN24, but I, like many others, did not attend that long ago. Very excited to see Big Mike.

4. Fiesta De Chupacabras: 3 of my top 4 are just cool locations that I really want to see. While it's a vague "Latin American" location, I'm excited to see that cultural flair incorporated into the house. Expecting some large "oh sh---" puppet that guests won't see coming.

3. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare: Despite not being my favorite artist, The Weeknd almost always cracks my Top 5 most played at the end of each year. I really wish Dawn FM was involved in this house, as I've played that album so much this year. Don't know what to expect content wise in this house, but I'm willing to bet Universal delivers on this one. The lines are going to be massive all night, and I think this will help HHN grow in the same way that Stranger Things did at HHN28.

2. Descendants of Destruction: The New York subway is an experience in and of itself in real life, so finding a way to make it more of a horror story is poetic. Hoping to get some big train scares, use of air effects and maybe some screens to simulate a moving train. Curious to see the story that they tell in terms of actors slowly being more mutated as you continue through the house.

1. Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake: I'm a sucker for the winter-themed houses. It's great to get a chill when you walk into the soundstage. Really does transport you into the story. Also, as a New Englander, I'm pumped to see them take that old beach town architectural vibe and apply it into a house. I bet there's going to be some really gross looking makeup on the actors in this house.

I ranked 27's Blumhouse as that year's *scariest house.

*I wasn't a huge fan of Scarecrow.

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpeg

1. Descendants of Destruction - I'm hoping for claustrophobia and expecting a lot of overhead scares. Both of those will ensure that I end up on the floor at some point during the house. I also tend to love the sprung houses the most for scares. I missed 2018, so I don't have Seeds of Extinction to compare this to either.
  2. Bugs: Eaten Alive - Also terrified of spiders and terrified of this house. The retro-futuristic design of the home is going to be enough to lure me in though. Again, a tent house, so I have high hopes.
  3. Spirits of the Coven - I'm envisioning designs similar to Case Files from last year. That's enough to get me on board, but I feel like barroom type scares have been done over and over (Kitty Kat Club from Case Files, Ghost Town, From Dusk till Dawn, etc).
  4. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare - This is also ranked slightly by location. That spot is huge and will make for some grand scenebuilding. I think the music and light will be disorienting and I'm interested in seeing how they weave this into a story.
  5. Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake - A winter house in a soundstage? Sign me up.
  6. Horrors of Blumhouse - The first one at 27 was probably the second scariest house of the year. I want to see the kills from Freaky played out. I'm just not sure how they'll pull off the Black Phone aspect and I'm worried about it being an audio clip house. That didn't work for Ash v. Evil Dead or Beetlejuice.
  7. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - The UM houses the past few years have been wildly inconsistent. The original house from 29 was one of my least favorite from that year and the house from 30 was open in 2020, so I got bored with it. We'll see.
  8. Fiesta de Chupacabras - meh
  9. Hellblock Horror - a prison mashup house? meh
  10. Halloween - The original at 24 is the GOAT in my opinion and I don't think they're going to be able to top it or even get close to it this year. No matter what, I can't imagine being anything but disappointed by this house.

My Most Anticipated House Rankings

1. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare---
I loved the After Hours album. And to see an original take with some of The Weeknds best songs from the album play out. With some stuff from the short films and music videos. Will be interesting and has potential to be both a terrifying yet fun house.

2. Halloween--- 25 was my first year at HHN and i missed out on seeing the original Halloween house in 24. This is my favorite slasher movie franchise, and to see the potential it has with a soundstage, really excites me.

3. Descendants of Destruction--- A new york city subway station overrun by mutants? I am down! This sounds alot like The Last of Us, which is one of my favorite games ever.

4. Horrors Of Blumhouse--- I understand why a lot of people aren't hyped for another BlumHouse...House. But after rewatching both Freaky and The Black Phone. I am very interested to see how they both will correlate into a single haunted house. I enjoyed both movies, and it might be recency bias, but I'm very excited to see the both of those movies in a haunted house.

5. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide--- The Art and Design team have hyped this house up alot, saying its one of the biggest houses ever and more. I have a soft spot for the Universal Monsters in my heart, and to see another monsters house (that sounds a little like the movie "The Monster Squad") will surely leave me with a smile on my face when i leave the house.

6. Dead mans Pier: Winters Wake-- Winter houses have never missed. And to see such an iconic scarezone make its way as a haunted house, surely will leave both veterans and newbies stunned.

7.. Bugs Eaten Alive--- I don't like spiders.

8. Helblock Horror--- I like prison haunted houses, and will surely be on the lookout for easter eggs.

9. Fiesta De Chupacabras--- Who doesn't like a classic cryptid?

10. Spirits of the Coven--- This year is very strong with how interesting the haunted houses are. And this house is no different. I enjoyed the section of Case FIles :Legendary Truth, in the Kitty Cat Club. If this haunted house can elaborate on that small section, it will be a treat.

1. Descendants of Destruction - I liked Seeds of Extinction quite a bit, and the NYC subway will be a fantastic house setting if properly executed.
2. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare - As a longtime Weeknd fan, I am expecting this to be the house I enjoy going through the most even if scares are underwhelming (which I'm not expecting). There are enough signs that this will be a knockout.
3. Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake - This should be the most immersive house and unlike anything from the past decade. That alone puts it high on my anticipation list.
4. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - My expectations are slightly lowered after Brides had a noticeable quality drop from Monsters 2019 (in my opinion!), but Dracula and The Mummy were two of the best scenes from the 2019 house. Excited to see how the three monsters mesh together in the same continuous setting.
5. Bugs: Eaten Alive - As long as the costumes don't restrict the scares like Depths of Fear, this will be a fun (and scary) one.
6. Spirits of the Coven - This doesn't sound like a scary house, but the thematic elements have me interested.
7. Horrors of Blumhouse - Mainly interested to see how they pull off The Black Phone. Vince Vaughn lookalikes will also be enjoyable.
8. Fiesta De Chupacabras - Well... it's finally happening after ten years. The Yeti comparisons don't have me thrilled, and I'm cautious about scrapped houses coming to fruition after Tooth Fairy underwhelmed last year.
9. Halloween - The franchise needs a rest, not just from HHN but in the public consciousness. It could be good, but Michael Myers isn't exciting anymore!
10. Hellblock Horror - It's an IP replacement house and will fully rely on the cast's intensity. Not much to be excited for, but it could be a fun house if the cast delivers.

10. Hellblock Horror
I feel as though this house feels the least fleshed out of all the originals. I'm growing a bit tired of mod podge best of type houses like SCarey, so hopefully this will feature some unique creature designs we haven't seen before. The setting also seems the least interesting of the originals.

9. The Horrors of Blumhouse Vol. 3

I've found things to like in the previous two iterations. Vol1 had great scares and the purge section of Vol2 had some pretty compelling sets in my opinion. I think this house will be fun but small in scope. Pretty much know what to expect here. Also, I haven't been a huge fan of the previous SF houses. Interested to see this locations return.

8. Spirits of the Coven
While I am a huge fan of all things classic Halloween, witches probably do the least for me of all the tropes. I'm getting major Dusk til Dawn vibes (loved that house) which is great, but not expecting much in terms of scares or repeatability. Looking forward to see the transformation from beauty to gangly.

7. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
Other than the likely appearance of the spinning tunnel, I really have no clue what to expect here. One thing for sure is this house will likely have a great soundtrack. Since the announcement I have started listening to the weeknd much more and I do really like his music. Could see this house being spectacular or falling among the ranks of Nuked Vegas.

6. Descendants of Destruction
I loved the subway scene from DEPZ - excited to hopefully see that expanded. I thought Seeds was middling if I'm being honest though so I'm hoping it doesn't play too much off that. Hoping for some awesome train effects and a claustrophobic / in your face style house here.

5. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
I have always hoped for an Egyptian setting in a house with grandiose sets and massive statues / structures. Shoot me, but I wasn't a fan of Tomb and thought the mummy portion of Monsters29 left a lot to be desired. They have nailed the past two monsters houses so I have no doubt this one will be a banger... but I hope they really flesh out the setting and leave room for big wide open sets.

4. Halloween
Halloween24 is among my top houses of all time and I am sooooo excited to see this moved into a soundstage. Another hot take, but I LOVED TCM last year. I'm thinking they go 2 for 2 in OG slasher soundstage adaptations. This house fits so well within the context of the event and I for one think the OG film was the best route to take here. Can't wait to come face to face with Mikey again. They always nail suburban style settings (see: Halloween 26, TrT, Ghost Town even) so I am thrilled to have this property back and better than ever (hopefully).

3. Fiesta De Chupacabras
PUPPETS! BLOOD! THIS HOUSE IS GOING TO BE MADNESS. AWIL my second favorite house of all time, expecting similar character styles here. I will say, I hope there isn't too much reliance on the villagers being the villains here. I'm hoping for chupas on chupas on chupas. I think the fiesta setting will be entertaining as well. Maybe we will get a big town square scene similar to the one from Ghost Town. That would be awesome.

2. Dead Mans Pier: Winters Wake

Fingers crossed that this facade doesn't take up half of the houses allotted space (here's looking at you, dead waters). I think the creature design here will be top notch and I am a SUCKER for a good cold house. Massive eerie sets with lots of fog and creepy diver fisherman monsters... what's not to love here?

1. Bugs: Eaten Alive
This has to be one of the most divisive house announcements ever. This is number one purely because it seems to have struck a very serious phobia and is something completely unique from what they have done. The name alone doesn't do much for me.. but I am also a sucker for 50's style retrofuturism and think the story for this house actually works incredibly well. This will probably be the first house I head to tomorrow and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I think it will be both the funniest and most revolting house of the event and I am really excited to see what they do for moving bugs (projection mapping maybe?) and for the actual creatures jumping at you. Such a unique concept from a very bland and common idea. Absolutely cannot wait.

Lucky enough to get to visit preview tomorrow! I've been counting down the days and am interested to see how this list stacks up to my first impression. See you in the fog everyone!

Last edited:
This will be my first time going after following the event online for a many years (I think since 25) and I am finally going, so I have no clue what to expect but here are my rankings.

1. Decendants of Destruction - I have no clue if I will enjoy the “scariest” house but I expect this to be that house
  2. Bugs - the potential this has to just be a fun campy house has me excited.
  3. Halloween - I’ve heard lots of good things about the original house so I think this house will be just as good of a time if not more.
  4. Universal Monsters - The monsters all together just seems like a great setup for some really fun scenes.
  5. Fiesta de Chupacabras - I’m hoping for lots of puppets to be used in this house, which I think gives this great potential.

6. Dead Man's Pier - I remember watching videos about the scare zone, the overall theme should be very cool.
  7. Spirits of the Coven - I love the era this will be set in howrver witches in general just don’t excite me as much.
  8. The Weeknd - not avid fan of his, however I do enjoy his music when I hear it, (this will give me something to listen to on the flight as well) I think the overall aesthetic could fit well for a house.
  9. Horrors of Blumhouse - never had a chance to see black phone in theaters, but this house somehow seems the most tame to me.
  10. HellBlock Horror - knowing this is a replacement house has it last, but being my first year I doubt i will be able to tell the difference, I think there is potential for some cool monsters to appear.

Ok here goes! This is hard and I have to be kinda nit picky to make this. It sounds like a very strong year and I really think these all should be great and am excited for them all.

10. The Weeknd

I think it hopefully should be really good and cool and I’m not saying it shouldn’t be at the event, but it is definitely my least anticipated because I am just not a fan of him. I respect what he’s doing with the videos and he seems like cool guy and horror fan, but i just don’t like the music. I basically know I’m actively not going to like the soundtrack.

9. Halloween

I love Michael Myers and Halloween, I really do. It probably will end up higher on the ranking of how they actually are at the event, but in terms of anticipation this is definitely towards the bottom simply because we’ve seen the original movie before and him even more. It has been a bit overdone and I’ve seen it before. I did love the 2014 house, but just not looking forward to it so much at this point.

8. Hellblock Horror

This is mostly here because it does kinda feel like it was a last minute replacement, like you can tell. I feel like the setting of prison is kinda boring and plain and you can tell they went back into the costume area or whatever and just decided to throw together stuff they already have from there. That said as a longtime hhn fan I will of course like seeing whatever old characters are in here, but the thrown together feel of it does make it go lower on the list. Also, I am glad it is old monsters, because the initial rumor of prison I was just assuming crazy inmates and that would’ve had this at #10.

7. Coven

It gets really tough here for sure! I am actually not completely into the ‘20s theme. Finding that out actually brought it down for me. I’m really curious to see what they look like and I think it should be great for sure, but I’m just more excited for the others.

6. Descendants of Destruction

Very intrigued and excited still for sure! Not fully sure what to expect here which is kinda good, but also makes it a little harder to be high on the list. Not super excited by the subway theme.

5. Bugs: Eaten Alive

I don’t like bugs by any means, but I don’t hate them either. It’s also not a concept I am super into, but I am very curious and anticipating seeing how they do it. It’s the most different for sure and I am extremely curious to see how they do it. The ‘50s setting here sounds really cool actually too!

4. Dead Man’s Pier

Definitely very excited for this! Love the idea and the original scarezone was super cool! The setting kinda reminds me of Midnight Mass, but obviously different creatures here. It also seems like the movie The Fog but I haven’t seen that, I think it’s a cool concept though! Also love how it was described in the podcast they did. It sounds beautiful and really cool.

3. Blumhouse

I just love both of these movies very much! They both have a lot of potential and I know I’ll love seeing them! More curious to see how they’ll pull off Black Phone for even half of a house, but if they can do it then I can’t wait to see it. Freaky is easier and should be great. I think Freaky could be it’s own house and in a way that’s kinda a bummer, but I’ll take this still.

2. Monsters: Legends Collide

I love the Universal Monsters very much! I’m a sucker for those characters! I LOVE the recent monsters houses they’ve done. We’ve been getting them a lot recently, but I don’t mind, because they have been very different houses at least. I love what they’re doing with them, they’re great iterations and this seems like it’ll be another super cool spin on them.

1. Fiesta de Chupacabras

I just think this idea and concept sounds so cool and fun! I also love the idea of the kinda urban legend like creatures and the Chupacabras. This sounds different and really fun. Sounds like it’ll be beautiful and I’m really excited to see how they do the Chupacabras!

Reactions: SeventyOne