HHN 31: Most Anticipated House | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Most Anticipated House

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Most Anticipated House?

• Total voters
This is by far the hardest time I've ever had putting together an anticipation list. I am genuinely super excited for all of these house and think they all have potential to be HOTY. But after much deliberation, I think I've figured it out:

1. Bugs: Eaten Alive - This was my 2nd most-anticipated for a while, but the 50's aesthetic and setting gave it the edge. This house sounds like it is going to be the perfect balance between being super campy, and also being the most terrifying and disgusting house ever. Add the description from the Universal Podcast about the mutated bugs having maggots and other small bugs within them and crawling out of them, and you also have a match made in heaven for, dare I say it, potentially the greatest creature design in HHN history.

2. Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake - Ever since the first speculation map dropped, this was at the top of my hype list. I love seaside settings, and we don't have nearly enough horror games or movies with a good harbor setting. Add the great atmosphere the original scare zone had, the beautiful set design that'll be in here, how cold it's gonna be, the talk from the podcast about how one of the feelings oozing throughout the house is a tragic and somber one, and you have another another perfect-sounding house.

3. Descendants of Destruction - I was a massive fan of Seeds of Extinction, to this day it is still one of my all-time favorites. When I saw Seeds of Extinction 2 on that speculation map, I was one of the happiest people alive in that moment. Now add in the more claustrophobic setting, the even-further mutated creatures, and that beautiful artwork from the house description, and you got an awesome-sounding sequel (or prequel?) that could outdo the original.

4. Spirits of the Coven - I'm going to be honest, when the rumors started suggesting this was going to be a witch house, it was near rock bottom on my early anticipation list. I've just never been too hyped with witches, as I feel that out of all the 'traditional' Halloween monsters, they're the weakest... And then the description dropped. 1920's setting, we're being turned into potions to be served for prohibition?! This sounds friggin' awesome! Very much hoping it's set in New Orleans as well.

5. Hellblock Horror - SCP is one of my favorite pieces of horror media, and I've wanted to see it as a house for years. This may be even better though- A prison facility where all hell has broken loose, but with HHN creatures?! HELL YEAH, JACK! As someone who's a big history buff with HHN, I cannot wait to see all of the callbacks and easter eggs, as well as get to encounter all the creatures I never got to see in-person! However, I am slightly skeptic, seeing as how this is a bit of a last-minute house. Still though, I'm very excited to see how this plays out!

6. Monsters: Legends Collide - Wolfman vs Mummy was an immediate yes from me after that first map. Add in Dracula, and you get an even bigger yes! I cannot wait for the Egyptian-themed sets in here, and for a good bloody battle between my three favorite Classic Monsters.

7. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare - Been getting into Abel's music, and it really is fantastic. Add in the grimy, unsettling feeling from his music videos, as well as the fever dream aspect, and you have a perfectly chaotic, fun-sounding house! Holding out for the first ever Daniel Craig scare.

8. The Horrors of Blumhouse - Liked Freaky quite a bit, and The Black Phone was a fantastic movie. I'm also very curious to see how this house is going to be pulled off, and I'm not talking about the Grabber's basement, I'm more referring to the absolute Frankenstein's Monster approach they took with putting this in the F&F queue, plus a tent or two? Also cautiously optimistic due to the quality of the previous Blumhouse's, but nonetheless, I'm still looking forward to this!

9. Fiesta de Chupacabras - I love cryptids, but Chupacabra was never really one I was that interested in. I'm more excited for the setting, lots of potential for more beautiful sets. I am very happy though for A&D finally getting to do this house, ironically on the 10th anniversary of when it was supposed to be done! Hoping this brings in more cryptid houses in the future (Jersey Devil please).

10. Halloween - Listen, I love the Halloween franchise. I love Michael Myers. Hell Comes to Haddonfield is my favorite house of all time to this day... but I've seen enough of Michael at HHN. Please just give him a break, let him rest for a while. I am excited to see the soundstage upgrades to the original and still overall excited for this house, but yeah, please let Halloween take a good long break from the event after this year.

I guess I'll be the one who shows Blumhouse some love. IP houses are always going to draw the most hype out of me and I've loved Freaky ever since I first saw it last year.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I guess I'll be the one who shows Blumhouse some love. IP houses are always going to draw the most hype out of me and I've loved Freaky ever since I first saw it last year.

I haven’t had time to post my list here yet, because I want to write a little with each one and not just the names, but I agree. It’s not my #1, but it’s my #3 which is still probably a lot higher than other people and I am very excited for it! I love both of the movies featured in it!

1- Dead Man's Pier
2- Fiesta de Chupacabra
3- Bugs Eaten Alive
4- Universal Legends Collide
5- The Weeknd
6- Coven
7- Descendants of Destruction
8- Horrors of Blumhouse
9- Halloween
10- Hellblock Horror

I absolutely loved both of those movies and depending on how they design these houses I think this could be the end of the "blumhouse curse"

Reactions: GlitterandGloom41
1. Dead Man's Pier - Just sounds beautiful with a really interesting concept. Love the idea of them being sad
2. Bug House - Gonna take a bit to build me up for this one, but damn this sounds really cool. Scary, funny, great setting, all of it
3. Descendants of Destruction - Like the setting, sounds cool
4. Weeknd - This would be higher but by the time I'm in Orlando I'll already have done Hollywood's, still excited
5. Monsters - I Loved Bride in Hollywood, love the monsters. Love the continuous story on each coast
6. Spirits of the Coven - Sounds super cool
7. Halloween - Same as Weeknd, will have already done this maze in Hollywood. Haven't done Halloween at HHN yet so I'm still looking forward (last year was my first year and didn't have time for Halloween 4)
8. Chupacabras - This might end up higher, personally would be ok with this standing in most spots
9. Blumhouse - Blumhouse
10. Hellblock - Could go up but worried because of it being more last minute

Reactions: SeventyOne
My most anticipated are all originals. Fully.
I realized I'm not that excited for any of the IPs.
Obviously I want to see everything. But I'll probably leave the IPs for last.
And will most likely see the YouTube videos of the IPs when they get filmed

I just realized that I really want to run and see chupacabra and bugs right away. Immediately
But descendants sounds so good....

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostsarejerks
IP: Definitely The Weeknd. Had never listened to Abel’s music before this rumor first started circulating, and now I’m a genuine fan of his. It’s so out of the box for HHN and such a big get that I just can’t imagine them fumbling this one.

Original: Definitely a tie between Bugs and Dead Man’s Pier. I was only moderately excited for Bugs before the story broke of it being set in the 50’s, but it feels so out there and campy that I’m now extremely interested in this one. Dead Man’s Pier was a similar case for me, because although I did love the scarezone, I was still only somewhat excited for this one. The new podcast description describing the sadness and overbearing feeling of loss with the blizzard made this one skyrocket up my list.

I’ve only been going since 26, but I’ll say this is easily the most excited I’ve been for the event since.

My most anticipated are all originals. Fully.
I realized I'm not that excited for any of the IPs.
Obviously I want to see everything. But I'll probably leave the IPs for last.
And will most likely see the YouTube videos of the IPs when they get filmed

I just realized that I really want to run and see chupacabra and bugs right away. Immediately
But descendants sounds so good....

I'm so happy IPs are taking the backseat in terms of prevalence these past couple of events, always felt like there's more creative freedom to be had with the original stuff.

1. Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake
2. Bugs: Eaten Alive
3. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
4. Fiesta De Chupacabras
5. Descendants of Destruction
6. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
7. Halloween
8. Hellblock Horror
9. Spirits of the Coven
10. Blumhouse

Reactions: Darko and DonnieBoy
I am excited for them all but here are the ones I’m most interested in seeing:
  • Bugs - creative talking big game with this one.
  • Weeknd - how do they adapt this? Excited to see what they do.
  • Hellblock - one of the latest replacement houses in recent memory, want to see how this turns out.

Here is my anticipation ranking.

1. Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake -- I never got to experience the original scarezone as for one reason or another I was unable to go in 2016. It looked great then and I'm sure the house will be fantastic.

2. Spirits of the Coven -- 1920's witches is just a great concept.

3. Bugs: Eaten Alive -- Ever since I seen this house on the spec maps it had me intrigued. I really want to see how this will be executed.

4. Fiesta de Chupacabras -- I wasn't sure about how I felt about this house at first. After reading the concept that it's set during a fiesta it's sent it up my list.

5. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide -- It's a Universal Monsters house. Interesting concept and it should be a pretty good house.

6. Descendants of Destruction -- I'm placing this house at this location mostly because it a supposed sequel house to Seeds of Extinction. I'm not 100% sure now if that's indeed the case though.

7. Halloween -- It's Halloween, which it's sequels have been at the event multiple times. I'm really not too hyped for this one.

8. The Horrors of Blumhouse -- I'm personally not a fan of the Blumhouse movie houses. With this house being based on Freaky (I didn't care forthe movie) & The Black Phone (good movie hard to see it as a house), I really don't expect much with this house.

9. Hellblock Horror -- A prison with monsters? Sounds a lot like this was the possibly rumored Stranger Things 4 house and was changed last minute. If it was indeed ST4 it would have been #1 easily.

10. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare -- The only reason this house is low for me is due to not knowing anything about his music. I know that his videos have had horror elements to them but I just haven't watched them.