HHN 32: Most Anticipated House | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 32: Most Anticipated House

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Most Anticipated House?

• Stranger Things

• The Last of Us

• Universal Monsters: Unmasked

• Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count

• The Exorcist: Believer

• Dr. Oddfellow: Twisted Origins

• Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate

• YETI: Campground Kills

• The Darkest Deal

• Bloodmoon: Dark Offerings

Results are only viewable after voting.
My rankings from least to most anticipated:

10) The Exorcist: Believer
9) The Last of Us
8) Bloodmoon: Dark Offerings
7) Dr. Oddfellow's Twisted Origins
6) Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count
5) Stranger Things 4
4) Universal Monsters: Unmasked
3) The Darkest Deal
2) YETI: Campground Kills
1) Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
This is tough. Firstly, it's an incredible lineup across the board, with something for everyone. But when trying to rank them, I think about a few major factors:

- Houses that we've "seen" before, and thus know already know what they can deliver. Stranger Things and Universal Monsters come to mind here. ST1 was one of the best IPs I've been through, and UCM churns out some of the scariest/intense runs every year, despite just being "old-school" characters that aren't that gory. I have no doubt these houses will deliver, and I'm excited to go through them, but I'm hoping they're not the ones that I leave the event talking about.

- Houses that are ambitious, but maybe too ambitious. Dueling Dragons and The Darkest Deal fit that bill. The legitimate ties to IOA history make DD interesting, and the "two paths" marketing will probably raise expectations sky-high for many. Can they meet those? Or is the expectation unattainable by the time we reach Opening Night, a la Carnival Graveyard or Bugs. I get why they tread carefully around religion (and the subsequent PR battle that would emerge), but it does make me worry that they may not be able to fully commit on TDD.

So with that being said..

1. Yeti: Campground Kills -- SS's Swamp Yetis knocked me on my ass, and Terror of the Yukon was my favorite house at 29. Let's run it back and finish the trilogy. I'm expecting a fun, wild time in this one.

2. Stranger Things -- ST1 was great, ST2 was not. This is what the majority of the audience is going to want to hit this year, and I think they'll deliver. Give me more than just the Vecna scenes, please.

3. The Last of Us -- I played bits of the game way back when, and now I'm in the middle of the show. Think this could be the scariest of the IP houses. Some of the clickers are nasty, and I really hope they get up close in our faces.

4. Dueling Dragons -- I want them to recreate some of the queue within the house, in the same way that they did with Case Files grabbing bits of the NY section of the park. Like I noted before, it's ambitious. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I can't deny how cool this could be.

5. Universal Monsters -- Brides was the only one I didn't love, but again 30 was a strange season to judge houses on. I know this house will be strong, just not top of my anticipation.

6. Chucky -- Hoping this one gets really wacky and has plenty of dumb audio clips that we can all reference for the rest of our lives. Chucky rules, even if his house probably won't.

7. The Darkest Deal -- Glad they're going with a unique theme here, but can the story be told quick enough and strong enough to make this what it wants to be?

8. Dr. Oddfellow: Twisted Origins -- Gotta imagine this will hit really good for the die-hards. I don't know how it's going to do for me, but then again I had a ton of fun in Welcome to Scarey even when most of the scenes included houses from before my time.

9. Bloodmoon -- Legitimately sounds like a theme from a Six Flags' Fright Fest house. Hope I'm proven wrong though...

10. The Exorcist: Believer -- Trailer didn't interest me. House doesn't interest me. But there's a market for it, and I can see it having a strong line throughout the night.

• Wow
HOUSE HYPE LIST:

1. Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate
2. Yeti: Campground Kills
3. Dr. Oddfellow's Twisted Origins
4. The Last of Us
5. Universal Monsters: Unmasked
6. Stranger Things 4
7. The Darkest Deal
8. Bloodmoon: Dark Offerings
9. Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count
10. The Exorcist: Believer

• Wow
Toss-up with 2011 for the greatest line-up on paper in the history of HHN (but more houses and two current IPs, so I guess 2023 wins).

10) Exorcist: Believer – Movie trailer looks like a generic cash-in movie on ScyFy, Blumhouse houses tend to be a mixed bag. Expecting some generic suburban sets and repetitive make-up. But maybe this one will end up exceeding expectations like Insidious or Black Phone

9) Chucky – not a fan of the IP, never seen the show. But I really loved the scare zone. So low expectations personally but I could be turned around by a clever house (and this sounds like it will be more clever than it had to be).

8) Blood Moon – colonial-era houses/zones never seem to work for me (Blood Ruins, Foresaken, Roanoke, the witches burning puritans zone). No obvious high-concept hook, feels like Salem but trying too hard to pretend it’s not actually Salem. A solid cast or an unadvertised twist could turn things around, but this is my prediction for 2023’s shortest wait times.

7) Stranger Things – first house was great, second was meh. Season 4 is the best suited to a house yet, the music cues should definitely elevate a couple scenes. With some look-alike actors and solid monster designs, this has potential to be great.

(From here down the list, everything would normally rank a couple slots higher but this is such a competitive year.)

6) TLoU – not a gamer but loved the HBO show, anxious to revisit that universe any way I can. Curious to see the different fungus monster designs. Helps that the game designer is an avid HHN fan; having seen how shots of how closely the show mimicked the game, I’m sure this house received a lot of love and attention to detail.

5) Dr. Oddfellow – I like the vibe of a dustbowl carnival, curious to see the oddity scare-actor designs (I’m sure they’ll be inventive). Assuming this doesn’t lean too heavily into Jack fan-service, could easily be a contender for HotY. Again, would be top two on my list most years.

4) Yeti: Campground Kills – Terror of the Yukon was a sleeper hit for me, snuck into my top 3 that year. This sounds promising, could easily do the same. And obviously I’m a sucker for a good dark humor house, so don't be shocked if this ends up my #1 come November. Hoping it’s an “open” house so we see the Ranger Tower throughout.

3) Darkest Deal – truly a concept only HHN would even attempt to base a haunted house on. I love history houses, I love story houses, this promises to be both. The most precarious house—if it doesn’t gel, I think it falls near the bottom, but if it hits, could be not just HotY but an all-time great.

2) Dueling Dragons – I was an IoA fanboy long before it was cool, spent too much time in Tree Bar not to put this near the top of my list. DD still the greatest theme park queue ever created, really hope the house can do it justice. Intrigued by the promise of four endings as well. Even if it doesn't work, should be an interesting failure.

1) Monsters Unmasked – Past Universal Monster houses 3-for-3, two were my HotY. Plus the setting is shades of the underrated Gothic and the rightly beloved Catacombs. Hoping there’s a bit of an overarching story, not just a greatest hits approach, but with that momentum, I expect another legend-tier haunt.

Ok here goes. Prefacing this by saying that this has potential to be the strongest house lineup. I easily think it’s the biggest and best IP lineup ever and this list is close. It was hard to decide some of these for sure. There is no true dud, I am excited for everything and most of these I am very super excited for.

1. Stranger Things 4
This and #2 were very close for sure, thought about swapping them, but I have to give #1 to Stranger Things. I am a massive fan of the show and this season was amazing. It particularly seems very well suited to make an excellent house as well. I can not wait to see them turn this season into a house.

2. Universal Monsters Unmasked
I love the monsters and I have loved all the other houses. I’m very into the characters they’re using and I actually love that it’s a different set of characters that we haven’t seen much of. They’re all ones that never get any merch. Bit of the underdogs of the Monsters and I love that. I love the art for the house (made it my new phone wallpaper). The Paris setting is super cool also! Massively hyped for all those reasons.

3. The Last of Us
Big fan of the game and the show! Find it weird and kinda concerned that it sounds like they’re only doing the Pittsburgh section of the game, but other than that this should be amazing. Clickers will be amazing to see in real life.

4. Dueling Dragons
Love the ride and very cool to see them do this. It’s very ambitious so hope it works but this can really be amazing to see. Cool to see a more fantasy house. It’s different for HHN for sure.

5. The Exorcist: Believer
This is much higher than it would’ve been if it was the original house again. I’m really happy it’s the new movie instead. I think the trailer for the movie looks really good and regardless I definitely think it looks like could make for a great house. I love possession and creepy kid movies. Also looking forward to the score which should be great.

6. Chucky
Love the character and the franchise overall. I really like the direction they’re taking it in now too. Nice sort of original spin on it. Sounds like it should have some nice comedy in there too.

7. Oddfellows
Very curious to see this for sure! Excited to see a new icon house. Story and circus seems cool.

8. Yeti Campground Kills
I’m very into the Bigfoot idea. I’ve loved the precious “Yeti” house and scene in Slaughter Sinema. Can’t wait to see the yeti family lol.

9. Bloodmoon
Setting is cool and I like the concept. A bit less than the others but still cool and exciting.

10. Darkest Deal
This has potential to be really cool and great, but I’m a little unsure of what exactly it’ll be like, and the aesthetic and genre here isn’t really my thing. Would much prefer a different genre of music lol.

1. Universal Monsters: Unmasked - Two of my favorites, Phantom and The Invisible Man, make this a must-see!

2. The Darkest Deal - A really ambitious concept to adapt into a house, but one rooted very close to my heart in it's blues music inspiration.

3. Chucky: UKC - Big fan of the IP, particularly Mancini's more recent refreshment of the franchise with Curse, Cult, and the show. This is such a fun, conceptual story too, I think that lends itself really well to Chucky's unique tone compared to other horror icons. Curious to see if this location can be improved on from last year as well.

4. Stranger Things 4 - The 4th season was possibly my favorite of the series yet (though I'm one of the few whose favorite was S2 before that), I really hope having a more adaptable antagonist and settings can bring this house back to the quality of Season 1's haunt.

5. Dr. Oddfellow's Twisted Origins - Funnily enough, this is the first year I'll be hosting a haunt for my workplace and the concept is that an early 1900s curiosities exhibit featuring "cursed" artifacts has gone awry in our building. This feels like it's going more the sideshow carnival oddities route, but I'm still excited to find out if HHN also has a demented take on the fiji mermaid like we will. :)

6. The Exorcist: Believer - Not only did I start going to the event after the OG Exorcist house, I'm also intrigued enough by the premise of the movie in relation to haunt design that I can see this being a really fun time even if the film itself disappoints.

7. Dueling Dragons - This is only so low for me because A: I never had a connection to the coaster and B: I'm not all that into fantasy as a genre in the first place. But I do think for those who do love that form of fiction, this will likely be an absolute blast.

8. The Last of Us - The games and show are not particularly engrossing to me, but I do like the shroom-bois designs as creatures and I hope the environments capture that post-apocalyptic scenic beauty. I feel like Seeds and Descendants did such a good job at an "off-brand" version of this that it's going to be hard to live up to the bar they set.

9. Yeti: Campground Kills - Now, I ADORED the previous Yeti house. But I think location and setpieces were majorly responsible for that. The yetis themselves can be intense with the right casts and timing. But a campground setting runs the risk of feeling too generic and repetitive. There's a lot of potential for this to rise though. The possibility of there being a more open floor plan like Dead Man's Pier gives me a little hope.

10. Bloodmoon: Dark Offerings - I hope this won't be the case, but I fear the cast will feel too one-note and have everyone playing "menacing Puritans" with this one. I worry it winds up a cross between Roanoke and last year's Spirits of the Coven, both of which suffered similar problems. Maybe some genuinely supernatural consequences to the colonists failing their offering could spice this up a little bit?

just for fun*, I input everyone's hype ratings into a spreadsheet. the results are just about what you'd expect. [10 is highest, 1 is lowest]

View attachment 19457

*your definition of fun may vary

I think it’ll be fun to compare this with the actual reviews when we get there!

There will be surprises for sure. I bet Chucky will be a big one. The originals are all wild cards. I really can't decide if dragons will be good or not

1. Dueling Dragons -- Come on. How could it not be this? It may not end up being the best house, but my heart would be mad at me if I picked anything else pre event.

1a. Universal Monsters -- Last year's house is the first one that's ever given SCARECROW - THE REAPING a run for its money for GOAT status. This one has a lot to live up to.

3. The Last of Us -- Sure, it's not based off of the far superior PART II, but being based off of one of the best games of all time still doesn't hurt. Knowing Druckmann personally lobbied for this makes it a shoe in for being great.

4. Darkest Deal -- Love the concept. Should make for a real atmospheric house.

5. Oddfellow -- Always gonna be hyped for an Icon house, but the dust bowl setting has been done before, in the aforementioned GOAT of Scarecrow. Hopefully the Doctor can do it justicee.

6. Yeti -- Loved the scene in Slaughter Sinema, thought the 29 house was just okay. Hopefully this is like the former more than the latter.

7. Stranger Things -- So far one ST house has been pretty good, and one has stunk. So this is a toss up. Certainly the season most suited for a house though.

8. Bloodmoon -- The last colonial era house I saw, ROANOKE, absolutely stunk, so this one is low on the list.

9. Chucky -- Just not a character I connect with much, but could see this one end up being fun.

10. The Exorcist: Believer -- Trailer stunk, Blumhouse houses usually stink, and I doubt they get as creative for this one as they had to get for the house based on the OG.

1. Dueling Dragons -- Come on. How could it not be this? It may not end up being the best house, but my heart would be mad at me if I picked anything else pre event.

1a. Universal Monsters -- Last year's house is the first one that's ever given SCARECROW - THE REAPING a run for its money for GOAT status. This one has a lot to live up to.

3. The Last of Us -- Sure, it's not based off of the far superior PART II, but being based off of one of the best games of all time still doesn't hurt. Knowing Druckmann personally lobbied for this makes it a shoe in for being great.

4. Darkest Deal -- Love the concept. Should make for a real atmospheric house.

5. Oddfellow -- Always gonna be hyped for an Icon house, but the dust bowl setting has been done before, in the aforementioned GOAT of Scarecrow. Hopefully the Doctor can do it justicee.

6. Yeti -- Loved the scene in Slaughter Sinema, thought the 29 house was just okay. Hopefully this is like the former more than the latter.

7. Stranger Things -- So far one ST house has been pretty good, and one has stunk. So this is a toss up. Certainly the season most suited for a house though.

8. Bloodmoon -- The last colonial era house I saw, ROANOKE, absolutely stunk, so this one is low on the list.

9. Chucky -- Just not a character I connect with much, but could see this one end up being fun.

10. The Exorcist: Believer -- Trailer stunk, Blumhouse houses usually stink, and I doubt they get as creative for this one as they had to get for the house based on the OG.

ROANOKE was so terrible. I really can't believe they are trying again. I hope it turns out really good.......

1. Dr. Oddfellow: Twisted Origins - I'm a sucker for lore and original houses. Tend to really enjoy the tent houses so this one has a lot going for it on paper
  2. Dueling Dragons - Love the queue for the original ride and hoping they can get the feeling to translate. Hoping for some well placed screens to help with the scale of this house and to get some more dragons in there other than just the 1 or 2 probable puppets
  3. The Darkest Deal - Subject matter seems great and hopefully should deliver.
  4. Universal Monsters - Always really love the Universal Monsters house so hoping this year is no different
  5. The Last of Us - Not a huge follower of the show or the game but hope that being a large IP means the predicable large budget will pull it through.
  6. Stranger Things - Also not a huge Stranger Things fan but the talk of it being more Vecna focused rather than the show as a whole has me hopeful for a more intense horror house rather than a book report
  7. Bloodmoon - Intrigued by this and hoping that the fact it got a podcast episode means it's someone in A&D's favorite - thinking this may be a sleeper hit.
  8. YETI - Enjoy comedy houses but never end up being my favs
  9. Chucky - Don't care for the split house that happens in this location so that will most likely put a damper on this for me
  10. The Exorcist: Believer - Meh

This has been incredibly difficult, and houses listed 4-8 change position all the time!
  1. Duelling dragons - loved the queue and original ride. Can’t wait to see what they do with this!
  2. The last of us - wanted this for years, and big seeds of extinction fan. Think this could be incredibly scary if they portray the clickers well.
  3. Universal monsters unmasked - have really enjoyed the previous houses and some gorgeous settings for this too. Can’t wait.
  4. Chucky - big Chucky fan and this sounds like a really fun take.
  5. Yeti campground kills - Yeti last time was an unexpected hit for me, and looking forward to more fun and gore. Hopefully some clever scares again!
  6. Stranger things 4 - really like the series and it’s got some really iconic imagery. I just worry it’s not going to meet expectations.
  7. Dr Oddfellow - really intrigued by the character, but worried this may end up being similar to Saw houses where it’s scenes of guests being tortured over and over again. Hoping for a bit of variety, especially given we’re seeing this in the scarezones.
  8. The darkest deal - the more and more I think on this the further it falls down the list. The setting and theme is great, but without the clear religious overtones of the original urban legend it might not work as well as it should.
  9. Blood moon offerings - sounds like chupacabra without chupacabra. Not got much more to say on this one
  10. Exorcist Believer - hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this one, but we will see.

This has been incredibly difficult, and houses listed 4-8 change position all the time!
  1. Duelling dragons - loved the queue and original ride. Can’t wait to see what they do with this!
  2. The last of us - wanted this for years, and big seeds of extinction fan. Think this could be incredibly scary if they portray the clickers well.
  3. Universal monsters unmasked - have really enjoyed the previous houses and some gorgeous settings for this too. Can’t wait.
  4. Chucky - big Chucky fan and this sounds like a really fun take.
  5. Yeti campground kills - Yeti last time was an unexpected hit for me, and looking forward to more fun and gore. Hopefully some clever scares again!
  6. Stranger things 4 - really like the series and it’s got some really iconic imagery. I just worry it’s not going to meet expectations.
  7. Dr Oddfellow - really intrigued by the character, but worried this may end up being similar to Saw houses where it’s scenes of guests being tortured over and over again. Hoping for a bit of variety, especially given we’re seeing this in the scarezones.
  8. The darkest deal - the more and more I think on this the further it falls down the list. The setting and theme is great, but without the clear religious overtones of the original urban legend it might not work as well as it should.
  9. Blood moon offerings - sounds like chupacabra without chupacabra. Not got much more to say on this one
  10. Exorcist Believer - hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this one, but we will see.
I agree about The darkest deal. It might be the least good one this year. I have faith for blood moon. Darkest deal I'm not sure

Now that we know Oddfellow is the collector my hype for darkest deal has actually gone up a good bit. I do still worry that the story might not translate well to a house though and I struggle to see where the scares are going to come from.

1. Dueling Dragons - Sounds like it has the chance to offer something really different (like Dead Man's did)
  2. Dr. Oddfellow: Twisted Origins - The possibility of seeing HHN lore in live action is exciting
  3. Universal Monsters - Excited to see some monsters featured other than Frank/Drac/Wolf
  4. Bloodmoon - Pagan pride FTW! Plus, maybe a Wicker Man?
  5. The Darkest Deal - Interested to see what they do with the story
  6. Stranger Things - I kind of feel like I know what this has to offer before setting foot inside. Still excited to see it
  7. The Last of Us - Same as ST.
  8. YETI - Hopefully this one will jump up my list by end of season. Looking for some interesting kills
  9. Chucky - Same as Yeti
  10. The Exorcist: Believer - Possibility to be a dark-hose, but honestly not expecting much

The Last of Us---- I have been wanting this game to come to the event since 2018. After playing through it 8 times, the hype for me has been through the roof. Having the original actors return as well to do voice lines for the haunted house I a dream come true. Will be doing this house first on opening night. Expecting insane costuming and makeup. And to see some of my favorite characters come to life.

Stranger Things----The 2018 version is my 2nd favorite IP of all time (behind The Weeknd) This season had more horror elements than any of the other seasons. The sets have the biggest scale potential possible. Could be close quartered in some places with the creel house. Vecna Focused. Can't wait to see the characters return as well.

Darkest Deal---- Went down the Robert Johnson rabbit hole earlier in the year. Love the idea of an original take on it, after hearing that Oddfellow is hinted to be most likely "The Collector." The atmosphere and time this house takes place in is awesome. Hoping this house doesn't flop.

Universal monsters Unmasked---- Invisible man justice. lets go

Chucky Ultimate Kill Count---- Finished all the movies, and caught up on the show. Im actually really excited about a Meta take on a Chucky house.

Dueling Dragons----Hope the sets are "quite extravagant" I hope the dragons are kind of like the chupacabras last year, with their presence very much being there, but most of the scares are knights or warlocks.

Yeti: Campground Kills----loved terror of the Yukon, could be like a Friday the 13th spin on the yeti. love the setting.

Dr. Oddfellows Twisted Origins----Icon house, sounds awesome, can't wait to see what demented creations Oddfellow has in store

Blood Moon Dark Offerings----Podcast was great, Veteran scare actors. could be great

The Exorcist Believer- Still hyped for it, just don't know exactly what its about.

Reactions: SeventyOne