HHN: Hollywood vs Orlando | Inside Universal Forums

HHN: Hollywood vs Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 1, 2013
Space Coast
Ok i could not find any talk about HHN at hollywood sense the forum been changed. But this is just a generalized thread comparing this event and the one in orlando i have never been to the one in hollywood but have heard good things...Like me most of us are stuck to just watching videos of the event well I found a great Youtube channel "sharp productions" that has everything of this event all houses and scarezone and he has them in night vision and ones not... thought it be cool if we compare some of the houses that are the same as ours and ones that arent and what we like and dont like, what we wish we could have or would like to see or glad we dont have....Let the discussion begin!!!

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHjB5k9Au00QXtdxVT3DFKP-kfkTWg_-X

(and he has playlist of other years events as well)

Love Hollywood been the past couple years but too tired to go into detail tonight, I just got back from HHN Orlando lol.

Well i personally would love to go. AFter seeing this years videos i love there purge scare zone and chucky zone i thought it was cool how they had chucky interacting with guests and idk it seemed purge was just an awesome fit. Also i loved there insidious maze and el cucuoy... I thought both were very ingenious and the sets looked amazing....also idk because i dont have experience but it seemed there houses are somewhat longer than ours? i could be wrong?

I went to both events this year for the first time ever. As a whole Hollywood was better. Way more intense in the houses, and The Purge alone although lackluster in props and whatnot was scarier than the entire street experience in Orlando. That being said, Orlando had stronger houses at the top, but way weaker ones at the bottom. If I had to do a final house list it would be:

Houses

1. American Werewolf in London - We all know this is the House of 2013 on both coasts. Incredible throughout.

2. The Cabin in the Woods - Excellent mix of cool and scary, wished they went HAM with all the monsters available for use.

3. Insidious - This house I expected nothing and literally had one of the best run-throughs of any house ever, incredibly intense.

4. Walking Dead - Hollywood - What a house...incredible this thing was done under a canopy from scratch, amazing detail, intense scares. How TWD should have been handled, it was just that.

5. Evil Dead - Both Coasts - Both of them were similar, Hollywood's was scarier, Orlando's was more detailed. It's a wash, they were both good.

6. Terror Tram invaded by the Walking Dead - I am counting this as a house because mannnnn what a creepy experience. The idea lent itself well to the Walking Dead because it was unnerving being on the side of that mountain in pitch black darkness not knowing what sounds were real and if there were walkers, only wish there were more actors throughout.

7. Black Sabbath - Very HUGE scale house, good detail, funky smells and intense scares for being able to see everything that was coming at you, fun house.

8. La Llorona - Great detail but ridiculously repetitive, if I hadn't done the UTH tour beforehand I wouldn't have a clue what happened in the house, scares were lacking but beautiful detail.

9. El Cucuy - This house could've been incredible but was lacking in some scares...if they bring it back I'm sure they could do it a little better like they did with Llorona...it just screamed potential and I hope they give it another stab.

10. Walking Dead - Orlando - This house to me was a little better than last year which isn't saying much. Not scary at all...not as much detail as Hollywood which is sad considering this is pretty much in a soundstage...it got this high by default that it was okay. Relied way too much on the chain link fence lame scares.

11. Monsters Remix: Resurrection - This house was very fun and actually intense. It was also VERY long...I understand there's not much they can do but the actors did what they could, I applaud them on the energy.

12. Resident Evil - This was very cool to look at, that's about it. Nemesis looked like trash, the dogs were awful and not one scare through the entire cast. I played the games before and thought the house could've been done much better. Very short as well.

13. Afterlife - Okay house...wasn't expecting much, didn't get much...In-Between's little worse off step cousin. The only reason it's above the last house is because of the cool stabbing effect and it's neat theme.

14. Havoc 2 - Wow this house was a recycle bin classic. I wish I could've thrown this house in the trash because that's exactly what it was. No scares, no intensity, no sense of urgency, repetitive actors, repetitive sets, that awful fake Wilhelm scream effect, the not making any sense, all the chain link fences. This was a complete waste of the budget and if anyone enjoyed this house I don't know what to say. Legit the worst house I've ever been through at an HHN event.

Streets

1. The Purge - This opening scareamonies experience was top notch. I genuinely felt uncomfortable with those dudes coming into the crowd with those chainsaws...everyone is running different directions, it's loud, intense and terrifying.

2. Scarecrowz - Did well with what they were given...not much with decorations or anything but these guys were fun and intense. I've never seen stiltwalkers in Orlando full out run and jump and do different walks like these guys did...only wish there were more of them. Only 2-3 at a time per cast were out for such a big area. they were VERY fun and playful though after they got you.

3. Cirque du Clownz - Only walked through this area once, it was themed well, didn't get many scares but the masks were top notch, wish it would've been a little more intense.

4. Curse of Chucky - We must've gone through during a cast change, I didn't really get what was happening, nor saw the Insult Emporium but at least the street looked like it was a scarezone

5. Orlando's "Experience" - what a poor excuse for "scarezones", I thought the roaming hoards last year were better than this garbage. How does Universal not understand that zombies are not scary unless there are large numbers of them. They aren't intimidating by any means.

The first "zone" in production central was an okay opening, I didn't mind it. The Clear was flat out disrespectful to some of the good zones that have been in Hollywood. There was only 3-4 actors in that entire stretch of street everytime I walked through it, literally awful. The barn was okay, not really scary. I didn't think the well walker was impressive. The Woodlands was a huge photo-op in the dark, Bicycle Girl was the best part and the Deer Zombie effect never really got to see it because people swarmed there for photos. The Survivors Camp was the most intense area just because of how small it was, other from that it wasn't very good. Chainsaw Drill Team was what they were...same old same old I enjoyed their presence in the dead zone.

San Francisco streets have been an abomination since Zombie Gras. That's four years in a row this area has been poop (excluding 21 because it was nothing). Nothing more to say about it.

Fall of Atlanta...there was no one in this zone at any time of the night...maybe like 3-4 actors. Disappointment.

I really hope we go back to dedicated zones next year, this Walking Dead poop didn't cut it at all.

I didn't see any shows on either coast so couldn't judge those.

Anyway, Hollywood gets the nod on overall betterness, more intensity and WAY scarier. Orlando had the two dynamite clear cut houses of the year and some better set work but weighted all-together I didn't have a single bad run-through in a house in Hollywood, while having bad run-throughs in 5 out of 8 houses in Orlando in addition to the streets being the worst ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: TylerDurden
After bouncing from Hollywood in 2012 to Orlando in 2013, I was going to go back to just Hollywood this year, but Southwest had a sale and I had an unused credit card burning a hole in my pocket... So I'll be going to both this year.