Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Horror Movies Thread

@Crypt Keeper & @CoryLevy91
Don’t assume what people will do and don’t put words in other users’ mouths. They may feel strongly about this and will continue this stance. It’s just rude to do that, frankly. Until you see facts proving otherwise, don’t post like that calling them out for their beliefs, please and thank you.

Edit:

Posted before I saw @Brian G. post. I agree, we should move on from this topic from the time being.

Someone a little older than me may be able to chime in, but I would bet the discourse here is very similar to what happened as computer animation started overtaking hand-drawn animation. Artists are still required to properly leverage AI, it’s just a difference in the medium.

If you‘ve actually utilized AI productively before, you know that it’s not as easy as some business man typing in a prompt. There still needs to be a vision and an understanding of the work’s purpose, mood, time period, etc. to make it work. That still requires artistic sensibilities and work spent refining and implementing, just less time spent actually putting literal pen to paper. AI gets you there faster, but it’s not a cut-and-dry process if you’re using it correctly.

As technology progresses, there will always be job functions left behind. The computer you’re using to read this right now came at the expense of an old craft that’s now rendered obsolete.

Again, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong one way or the other…but to take the stance that using AI completely voids a work of any sort of meaningful artistry is a little blanket-y.

EDIT: whoops missed the post about moving on…go ahead and delete this one :clown:

I saw Late Night With the Devil. Must be doing well, as they expanded it to a larger theater, and it still got sold out.

Liked it very much, but it may not be for everybody. It’s a slow burn for a majority of the time, then escalates rapidly (maybe too rapidly) and then has a somewhat esoteric ending.

As for the AI, one image is only on the screen for maybe 2-3 seconds… but the one that’s the “logo” for the show is seen in the background throughout the entire movie… so if that situation bugs you (which I think is fair), you’re going to have a hard time getting past it. And honestly, I didn’t even know which was the 3rd image.

And not trying to detail the thread, but I sincerely struggle with movies that have troubled backgrounds. It’s now difficult for me to watch Kevin Spacy films. It’s no wonder that it doesn’t appear that Jeffrey Jones is in the Beetlejuice sequel. I roll my eyes when see a movie was produced by Harvey Weinstein. Where does one draw the line between abhorrent individual behaviors, and the film as a whole?

And I know the AI discussion is not on the same level as literal abuse, but it does bring similar levels of controversy. I personally try to separate the single actions from the rest of the movie, and respect all the other who worked on the movie and had nothing to do with the decision of one bad apple, but it’s not always easy. Ultimately, that’s what I did for Last Night With the Devil.

Again, I apologize for another possible thread derailment, but I wonder if others struggle with this. Maybe this topic should become its own thread?

I saw Late Night With the Devil. Must be doing well, as they expanded it to a larger theater, and it still got sold out.

Liked it very much, but it may not be for everybody. It’s a slow burn for a majority of the time, then escalates rapidly (maybe too rapidly) and then has a somewhat esoteric ending.

As for the AI, one image is only on the screen for maybe 2-3 seconds… but the one that’s the “logo” for the show is seen in the background throughout the entire movie… so if that situation bugs you (which I think is fair), you’re going to have a hard time getting past it. And honestly, I didn’t even know which was the 3rd image.

And not trying to detail the thread, but I sincerely struggle with movies that have troubled backgrounds. It’s now difficult for me to watch Kevin Spacy films. It’s no wonder that it doesn’t appear that Jeffrey Jones is in the Beetlejuice sequel. I roll my eyes when see a movie was produced by Harvey Weinstein. Where does one draw the line between abhorrent individual behaviors, and the film as a whole?

And I know the AI discussion is not on the same level as literal abuse, but it does bring similar levels of controversy. I personally try to separate the single actions from the rest of the movie, and respect all the other who worked on the movie and had nothing to do with the decision of one bad apple, but it’s not always easy. Ultimately, that’s what I did for Last Night With the Devil.

Again, I apologize for another possible thread derailment, but I wonder if others struggle with this. Maybe this topic should become its own thread?
It will be. Just was gonna wait to the thread cooled off a bit before doing so.

In the risk of rebirthing that argument, I'll drop this and move on...

Late Night with the Devil is very good, and there was clearly a lot of love put into it by everyone involved. There was a ton of effort put into making it truly feel authentic.

Alright, MOVING ON

I am oddly very excited for Abigail.

In the risk of rebirthing that argument, I'll drop this and move on...

Late Night with the Devil is very good, and there was clearly a lot of love put into it by everyone involved. There was a ton of effort put into making it truly feel authentic.

Alright, MOVING ON

I am oddly very excited for Abigail.

Just wanna say, generally speaking, please feel free to post reviews, recs, news, etc. as that’s the purpose of this thread and I don’t want anyone to feel like they can’t talk about a movie they enjoyed or disliked, want to see or don’t want to see, for any reason. Everyone can, and should, continue to utilize this thread for that purpose without treading into a topic that will have its own thread in due time.

Has anybody seen Ghostwatch?

It really gave me the chills even though I knew the whole gimmick going in.
Huge fan of GHOSTWATCH.

To get the full effect, you really do have to put yourself in the mindset of what a U.K. viewer tuning in when it aired would have thought. But even just seeing it as an exercise today, it's really quite impressive and ambitious.

I keep forgetting most of these news sites aren't as invested in this franchise as me or others. It was always part of the plan to do another movie or two in the future.

Brad Douriff isn't getting any younger (neither is Chucky apparently lol)..

Eitherway, I'm still excited. However, I'd be happier if we knew it'd get a theatrical release. It's still a crime that "Curse" & "Cult" went straight-to-video.