Horror Movies Thread | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone got some recommendations on what they DO have?

Going off this page: Watch Horror Movies Online | Peacock

Cabin Fever - Worthwhile watch of Eli Roth's directorial debut. Lacks in cheer worthy characters but brings the goop and gore in droves.
An American Werewolf in London - The classic that sits on or near the top of the werewolf subgenre. That transformation scene though.
Better Watch Out - Christmas horror with a demented and dark twist that'll have you clenching your nails.
Black Christmas - One of the founding fathers of the slasher genre.
Body Bags - A fun, watchable anthology starring John Carpenter as the host!
The OG Monster Mash Films (Dracula/Creature/Bride of Frank/Mummy, etc) - The Universal classics, need I say more?
The Chucky Series - Everyone's favorite doll killer, the franchise holds up well thanks to always being the vision of its original creator.
Day of the Dead - The George A. Romero classic (don't touch that remake!) that I think is his best work, personally.
Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead - A fun, bonkers Nazi zombie movie (would recommend watching the original first just to be up to speed).
Deathgasm - A great horror comedy about the dangers of heavy metal!
Ginger Snaps - The classic teenage girl/werewolf tale.
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Know that loveable tough guy in every James Gunn flick (Yondu, The Savant, etc), see the brutal and dark role that put him on the map!
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II - Bonkers sequel to a generic slasher flick that leans into a Freddy Krueger esque villain.
Night of the Living Dead - The Romero that started it all in terms of zombies.
Nightbreed - Weird and mysterious monster flick.
Phantasm series - A wonderfully weird, macabre, nightmare logic ride into the realm of The Tall Man.
Prince of Darkness - An underrated Carpenter gem that is the second of his "Apocalypse Trilogy" that deserves more eyes on it.
Psycho sequels - I think Psycho II is better than the beloved original but hot takes aside the series is worth watching for the continued adventures of Norman.
Sleepaway Camp - A sleazy slasher with one of the most wild endings of all time.
Slither - A great horror comedy from the twisted mind of James Gunn.
Stake Land - A fine indie flick about the vampire apocalypse.
Starry Eyes - A fine indie flick about the dangers of Hollywood stardom.
The Cabin in the Woods - A personal forever favorite horror comedy that dives deep into the inner workings of horror films. MERMANS!
The Exorcist III - A classic gem that more than lives up to the legacy of the original Exorcist.
The Hitcher remake - A nice retelling of the original classic that features Sean Bean as the bad guy and one of the best unheralded leading couples of all time.
The House of the Devil - A great indie gem about the worst babysiting gig ever.
The Innkeepers - A fun indie film about a haunted(?) hotel.
The People Under the Stairs - A wacky as hell Wes Craven 90's film that I adore. Was also one of the first IP houses to be featured at HHN!

I don't know if any of these have up-charges associated but there's a bunch of good stuff here plus more I didn't mention that I would be fine watching for free (hello, Bill Goldberg playing an evil Santa Claus in Satan's Slay!).

Just finished a movie called A House on the Bayou and I was pleasantly surprised by it, it’s on Epix if anyone’s curious.

Reactions: belloq87
Watched a film called Phantasm a while ago and I found it pretty dull. I think almost all the films besides ii are on Peacock but at the moment I don’t care enough to check.

I recently saw BROADCAST SIGNAL INTRUSION, which is a new mystery/horror/neo-noir hybrid (loosely inspired by the infamous "Max Headroom" TV signal hijack that happened in the 1980s), and quite enjoyed it. Low-key, but highly creepy and engaging.

Remains fairly open-ended, though, so plenty might not find it entirely satisfying.

Watched a film called Phantasm a while ago and I found it pretty dull. I think almost all the films besides ii are on Peacock but at the moment I don’t care enough to check.

I think PHANTASM is great, but also recognize that it's not for everyone.

Dusting this thread off to say I’ve been watching some holiday themed horror films and the two better ones I’ve watched recently are Silent Night (new) and Rare Exports (new to me). Both are very different stories, but, quite enjoyable—though I did find Silent Night to be sad at times—and are streaming on AMC+ (Silent Night) and Shudder (Rare Exports)!

RARE EXPORTS was a new discovery for me a few days ago. Fun riff on Santa lore.

For Christmas horror, it really doesn't get any better than the original BLACK CHRISTMAS for me, which is a yearly tradition of mine at this point.

Reactions: Allison
For Christmas horror, it really doesn't get any better than the original BLACK CHRISTMAS for me, which is a yearly tradition of mine at this point.

The original Black Christmas is honestly one of my all time favorite movies, I enjoyed the Blumhouse one also, but, 100% agree on the original being a traditional watch!

The original Black Christmas is honestly one of my all time favorite movies, I enjoyed the Blumhouse one also, but, 100% agree on the original being a traditional watch!

I'm even a (very mild!) defender of the 2006 remake, which cranks up the gore and the sleaze. Not a good movie, but certainly enjoyable trash when in the right mindset.

The Blumhouse version didn't quite do it for me! Should have been released as an R (which it was apparently shot to be).

Let's all take a second to consider the greatest Xmas horror film of all time. Nay, the greatest holiday horror SCENE of all time!

Ladies and gents, I give you... GARBAGE DAY!

GarbageDay.jpg

That's from Blumhouse's "Into the Dark" series, which had a few really good ones. The two Pooka episodes were really good, and there's a Pilgrim one that was kind of fun too.
"im just fu**ing with you man" imo is the best of all of those. But I am a sucker for isolated/small cast movies like that.

Reactions: DannyPowers
The new TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE on Netflix is... something, alright!

Bad characters, muddled social commentary, and very hacky plotting, but the gore is tremendous and there's actually one pretty solid performance from Elsie Fisher.

So... tepid recommendation for fans of the franchise, I suppose. For others, probably skippable unless you really need a gore fix.

The new TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE on Netflix is... something, alright!

Bad characters, muddled social commentary, and very hacky plotting, but the gore is tremendous and there's actually one pretty solid performance from Elsie Fisher.

So... tepid recommendation for fans of the franchise, I suppose. For others, probably skippable unless you really need a gore fix.

When compared to some of the others in the series, I think it’s actually near the top of the CS sequels.

you’re totally right though. This one is kind of like putting a bunch of delicious toppings on top of a saltine cracker.