Horror Movies Thread | Page 42 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Week Two of my Halloween Horror Marathon went as follows:

Week Two - All Hail the (Stephen) King
8th - The Mist - 3.5/5 - Classic King and one of my personal favorite adaptations. Thomas Jane nails it and that ending is so heart wrenching.
9th - The Night Flier - 2.5/5 - A fun if forgettable tale of a sleazy tabloid journalist tracking down an airplane flying vampire. Not much to sink your fangs into but it has some fun moments.
10th - Cujo - 3/5 - Classic King. Great monster, Dee Wallace kills it, nothing to hate here.
11th - Secret Window - 2/5 - A twist so absurdly clear you can see it coming a mile away and Johnny Depp Depping it up all over the place. Not the best!
12th - Maximum Overdrive - 3/5 - The only film King himself has ever directed and it's such a campy, over the top romp that's hard not to smile at while watching.
13th - The Dead Zone - 2.5/5 - Doesn't quite bring the chills that most King fare does but the cast all does well and it's not the worst way to spend your Halloween.
14th - Apt Pupil - 1.5/5 - A full star for Ian McKellen, who gives it his all but everything else is pretty poorly executed. Great idea for a story but a little too black and white for my liking.

Week 3's theme has been "Monster of the Week of the Day"!

movies i rewatched / newly watched for october:
return of the living dead
dario argentos demons
dario argentos demons 2
Meridian
ginger snaps
frankenhoker
jason x
Stan helsing
dale and tucker vs evil.
van helsing
30 days of night
scary movie 3

Last edited:
movies i rewatched watched for october:
dario argentos demons
dario argentos demons 2
Meridian
ginger snaps
frankenhoker
jason x
Stan helsing
dale and tucker vs evil.
van helsing
30 days of night
scary movie 3
Demons was directed by Bava right? Or am I crazy. I think it just had that Argento producer credit because he helped with the story or something.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
movies i rewatched watched for october:
dario argentos demons
dario argentos demons 2
Meridian
ginger snaps
frankenhoker
jason x
Stan helsing
dale and tucker vs evil.
van helsing
30 days of night
scary movie 3
Yo this list is fire. Throw in Soavi's The Church if you liked Demons and Brain Damage if you liked Frankenhooker.

I really enjoyed Night of the Hunted on Shudder, but, it also felt a bit *too* realistic for me, like teetering the line of disturbing.

Onyx the Fortutious and the Tailsman of Souls is fun, wacky ride that is so full of heart and passion for the gateway horror/comedy/monster filled movies like Gremlins, Fright Night and Pee Wee's Big Adventure. It will not be for everyone, especially if you can't get behind the very verbose and over the top main character (a viral meme man who actually shows pretty nice comedic acting chops). It's hard not to love the film overall when it's so full of love and reverence. 3.5/5!

Watched for the first time House of 1000 Corpses more than a week ago during its screening. It’s really odd that the film spends so much time building up to the Dr. Satan character since when we finally do see him, it’s only at the very end and he has like a minutes worth of screentime. And this is supposed to be an improvement over the original cut of the film which was even more anticlimactic.

Week 3 of the Horror-Thon is in the books and this month is FLYING by.

Week Three - Monster of the Week of the Day
15th - Mimic - 2.5/5 - A fun if forgettable monster cockroaches under NYC story. Drags at the beginning, picks up once the roaches are human sized and deadly animals.
16th - The Fly - 4.5/5 - Jeff Goldblum acts the complete hell out of becoming a fly. One of the best genre performances ever, hands down. All time gross out effects as well, what more could you possibly want.
17th - The Descent - 3.5/5 - Just a classic, wild, gory ride through a secluded location with blood thirsty monsters. Throw in some real life human drama and it's a classic recipe.
18th - Attack the Block - 3.5/5 - The tiny nephew of the Three Cornetto's Trilogy, AtB is a fun romp through the Block with some cool looking, gorilla wolf mothers. Jon Boyega really shines in his debut.
19th - The Ritual 4/5 - What a tremendous feature, can't believe I slept on it this long. Creepy, foreboding, full of life and lore, the cast is amazing, that creature is truly terrifying. Just a palpable experience.
20th - The Host - 3.5/5 - Bong Joon-Ho's great mixing of comedy and suspense is on full display here, tackling the menacing creature feature with great talent.
21st - 30 Days of Night - 2.5/5 - Not quite as good as I remember it being but still a mean, brutal vampire siege film. Just a great story device for framing a vampire plot that they really take advantage of well.

The last full week of the month is headlined as 'Spooks, Spectres and **** That'll Turn You White'.

I finally got to watch The Blackcoat's Daughter, an A24 film from 2017. It's a very slow burn, but very moody, well crafted and acted. It's also the first film directed by Osgood Perkins, the son of Anthony Perkins. Highly recommend, but it's not a fast paced slasher. While there's some violence, it takes a long time to get there, as this is mostly a psychological thriller.

I've also watched The Perfection. The first 2/3 of the film, while you have to suspend some disbelief on some wild plot points, is really great, fun, and unique. It really keeps you guessing on who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, as the lines get really blurred. But the final 1/3 gets really bogged down in unnecessarily unpleasant sexual abuse/rape cult stuff that was really uncomfortable for me. While the appropriate characters in the film are all punished, it feels like it takes a long time to get there. Allison Willams (from Get Out) is a great lead, though.

Reactions: belloq87
I watched Gretel and Hansel and Last Night in Soho
Both Absolutely incredible visually and soundtrack wise. Definitely incredible style. The stories were simple but I loved them as an experience
Gretel and Hansel had such an incredible soundtrack. Really strong leads on both. I loved them.

watched 'No One Will Save You' -- really atmospheric and creepy, but don't think it does a very good job of communicating its self-forgiveness-and-anti-isolation message. still worth a watch, especially if you have a Hulu subscription.