Horror Movies Thread | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dan Stevens as the creepy German proprietor of an Alpine resort where spooky things are happening? Sure!

This filmmaker's previous film, LUZ, was very well-directed (if also, on the whole, unsatisfying).

Dan Stevens as the creepy German proprietor of an Alpine resort where spooky things are happening? Sure!

This filmmaker's previous film, LUZ, was very well-directed (if also, on the whole, unsatisfying).

This looks deliciously demented and is right to the top of my anticipation pile.

Reactions: belloq87
Wanted to go to the theater this weekend for a horror treat and decided between First Omen and Immaculate. Chose Immaculate since I figured less people overall would be seeing that and I am super stoked I did.

Immaculate is a wild, wild ride. I don't know if I ever caught the trailer but going in I was expecting your run of the mill spooky demon in a nunery flick and what I got was world's away and damn well done. That first twist that really gets the plot into action struck my curiosity but the later twist in the third act blew past stealing my attention and smacked me into a state of amped up delirium. Sweeney gives an amazing, amazing LITERAL scream queen performance here and it'd be a shame if she never returns to the genre. The cinematography is great, the score is chilling, the effects are unrelenting and brutal. Just overall what a great damn horror movie.

I especially appreciated just how much it feels influenced by vintage Italian horror movies. It legitimately feels like a Nunery version of Suspiria in the best way possible (there's even a scene where you get some splashy, exuberant red lighting!) and one of the main antagonists even dons a pair of those iconic Italian black leather gloves to help him dish out some evil.

Highly recommend it, glad I caught it in theater and if you can still go into it as dark as possible, definitely do so.

Last edited:
IMMACULATE

Immaculate is a lot of fun, but I was somewhat disappointed that it’s really just a full-fledged, bonkers, silly B-Movie in disguise. The tone of the first two acts and the tone of the last act are incredibly different. The last 20 minutes goes hard, and the final 3 minutes or so are pretty memorable. Sweeney is officially a scream queen. NOT TODAY, SATAN! 3 Stars

THE FIRST OMEN

Absolutely LOVED The First Omen!!!
It’s set in 1971 (five years prior to the events of The Omen). The film not only looks and feels accurate to the time period (props to the costume design by Paco Delgado and the production design by Eve Stewart), it also feels like it was made in that era as well. It’s an atmospheric, tense slow-burn that plays like a mixture of The Omen and Rosemary’s Baby. The direction by Arkasha Stevenson and the exquisite, haunting cinematography by Aaron Morton help to cement the illusion (there’s even film grain!!!). The score crafted by Mark Korven is sure to send chills down your spine, and adds to the atmosphere and tension.

Ralph Inneson is perfection as Father Brennan, an ex-communicated priest determined to stop the Catholic Church’s plans. He feels like he belongs in the 70s and milks the most out of his supporting role (The character also plays a supporting role in the og Omen). Inneson’s rough, gravelly voice should be enough to keep most audience members pinned to their seat whenever he is on screen.

Nell Tiger Free is phenomenal as Margaret, our heroine. Margaret has a troubled past and is plagued by horrific, disturbing visions. As she delves deeper into the Catholic church’s dark secret/s, the more her grasp on her own sanity begins to waver. Nell Tiger Free puts on a powerhouse, tour-de-force performance that is gripping, and even scary in some moments. Through it all she remains very likable. The First Omen acts as an incredible calling card for the young actress. You definitely won’t forget about her after the end credits roll.

There aren’t many surprises here, but the ride this film takes you on is top-notch and often incredibly disturbing and graphic (the imagery is consistently striking, horrifying, and memorable). The First Omen came very close to receiving an NC-17 rating, and it’s not hard to see why. This flick will F you up!

The First Omen is a faithful prequel to The Omen, it’s the best religious horror film we’ve gotten in a long time, and it’s a refreshing return to the old-school/70s style of horror movie-making. It also has some scarily pertinent commentary on the Catholic Church. The First Omen is, against all odds, a masterpiece and an absolute classic in the making. See it on the biggest screen you can, and buckle up. Things are about to get REAL!
5 Stars

• Wow
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I saw Night Swim last night. The fact that I even got tense during a movie about a haunted swimming pool upsets me.

I don't remember much of the details, but Thorpe Park did a Blair Witch maze back in 2017 that was a lot of fun. I remember a bit of a walk through some woods (it was raining, which really added to the effect) but can't remember much else about it. I think the Adam Wingard movie also lends itself pretty well to a Horror Nights maze, though I understand it didn't live long in the memory.

I don't remember much of the details, but Thorpe Park did a Blair Witch maze back in 2017 that was a lot of fun. I remember a bit of a walk through some woods (it was raining, which really added to the effect) but can't remember much else about it. I think the Adam Wingard movie also lends itself pretty well to a Horror Nights maze, though I understand it didn't live long in the memory.

I did it in 2019! On the off chance people are curious, this is my review of the maze from then with my fairly robust ranking system. Plz don't flame me on my opinions on the movie if you disagree :) :

Blair Witch - 21/50​

To prepare for this maze I had watched the movie on my flight over. Maybe it was a “you had to be there” type of movie but I didn’t think it was scary at all. I know found footage was a revelation back then but nowadays it felt more like a psychological thriller than a true horror movie. But I was still pretty intrigued and interested to see this maze. After waiting only a few minutes thank to Fast Track I made my way into a small preshow where an actor (with a semi-passable American accent) told us about Burkittsville where the maze and movie was set. After that she walked us into the maze where we immediately hit a dead end and had to turn around to go the correct way. After that we passed through a really tight overgrown path that took us by mostly crazed humans lost in the woods until finally making it to the house from the movie which was filled with various monsters although it was too heavily fogged to really tell much of what was going on.

Concept - 4/10​

The concept for the maze was fairly weak. Like I mentioned I didn’t think the movie itself was that scary. The tension rising in the movie was the best part and it’s really really tough to do that effectively in a walkthough maze. The house is best part of the movie that could be made into a house but save for heavily expanding the section there wasn’t really enough to carry a house.

Production Value - 6/10​

Although there wasn’t any particularly impressive set pieces here, I give Thorpe a lot of credit for the setting of this maze. It was on a path that was slightly overgrown and walking through it you had to dodge branches from hitting you in addition to actors. I thought that this made it a touch scarier that you didn’t really have anywhere to run with forest bearing down on you.

Scare Potential - 3/10​

The scares were fairly constant here. Every scare except for the final house was a crazed person getting in your way and acting generally crazy. Good idea for a section of the maze but it wasn’t good enough to carry the entire maze. The house on the other hand was a little bit too foggy to work. I wish it was just a touch less foggy and the house was full of mannequins that I could just barely make out and as I’m trying to do so one or two of them lunge at me. I think that’d be a better way to end this.

My Run - 7/15​

I’m rating this based on both this run and my run at night when it was darker (which ended up being much better than my second run). I got a few small scares through the main section of the maze but did get got pretty solidly in the house when a monster jumped out at me from within the mist. At night the atmosphere was much better in the first half of the maze and although I didn’t really get scared by the actors, it was definitely a little unnerving.

Bonus Points - 1/5​

I am awarding a bonus point for the start of the maze. I loved that both times our group walked to the end of the initial run only to find that we hit a dead end. In both instances there was real confusion as the group decided how to get through the maze. We ended up having to double back where we came but it was still a little disorienting and worrying. I thought that that was exactly like the movie and one of the best parts of the entire experience!

Reactions: Allison and Jake S

I’m sorry but I genuinely feel a remake is pretty much an impossible task. The reason why the original worked as well is it did was sadly due to the working conditions, which I’m shocked they got away with then but there’s absolutely no way they could get away with now. The lore was fake but the actors’ reactions were real, thus contributing to the belief (in an early internet age on top of it all) that the film was real. Imo, that’s not something that can be replicated by a large production company.

A flat-out remake? Yuck.

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT remains one of the scariest films I've ever seen (if anything, I've only gotten more unnerved by it over time). Its effectiveness comes from its totally authentic performances, its simplicity, and its evocative and troubling (but mostly just hinted-at) mythology.

I have no confidence in any of those three factors being satisfactorily carried over.

Not particularly enthused about The Blair Witch Project remake/reboot or the Speak No Evil remake. The Blair Witch Project was a lightning-in-a-bottle scenario. It can never be re-captured, no matter how hard Hollywood tries. The Speak No Evil remake looks very copy-and-paste. I was looking forward to it because it's very well cast and the director of Eden Lake is helming the project. After watching that trailer though, I'm less than enthused. Hope there's more originality and creativity than the trailer lets on. Not much faith that Blumhouse will do right by either property. At least Wolf Man should kick a$$.