Horror Movies Thread | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On the whole, IN A VIOLENT NATURE (now available digitally) is very much a mixed bag, but I'd ultimately say slasher fans should still give it a look. The forest scenery is beautiful, and there are a couple of very impressive, grotesque kills that make you go, "Well, I've certainly never seen that before."

Its climax really deflates it, though, and even though those aforementioned kills are cool, they're so over-the-top that they feel at-odds with the tone of the rest of the movie.

Agree to disagree, I loved how truly and terrifically the lone survivor was distraught and how well the final scene played on slasher tropes to amplify the realistic terror she's suffering. You continue to expect Johnny to show himself for one final scare over and over and over but he never comes. I didn't need an entire movie with her character to see and feel how truly devastated and broken she was in that moment.
It's a deeper and divisive film and I kind of love that!

I saw it.....it pains me terribly that this wasn't Jason....or Leatherface or someone more recognizable. I didn't care much for Jonny overall, I enjoyed the movie but Jonny doesn't have the presence. he was serviceable but not iconic.

I understand that this was a first time director, and overall it was a great experiment. it definitely delivers, the experiment worked, I really enjoyed all the walking.

also the movie did not feel boring at all, it goes by really quickly ( ironically) I loved that you could see what Jonny was thinking. you can feel his thoughts, ( the ending is what this movie deserved,) the entire movie is simple, simple ending.

what was funny to me is that I had zero problem with the long walking or with the ending lol :lol:
I actually enjoyed both a lot. I enjoyed the walking scenes and I enjoyed the ending. it was great to follow Jonny. I enjoyed the movie

my problem was little things that no one will notice, I really hated the random cuts they did while editing, ....... they had this horrendous hard cuts throughout.
also the rest of the cast had awful dialogue and awful delivery. the small scenes we have of dialogue were just awful. if I ever watch this again I would probably skip all the dialogue parts. it truly was awful dialogue.
almost ruins the movie for me.

Reactions: belloq87
Meh, you can say it's an excuse but I think the dialogue and tilted performances are on purpose on a meta level. That part of the film (the characters and their dialogue) is one of the things 'stuck' in the 'nature' of a slasher film. They are playing out their roles with bad dialogue and less than earnest performances because that's their natural state.

The reason I fully believe that is because each and every character does exactly what they're supposed to, the stoner goes out by himself and gets killed, the promiscuous lovers flirt and get killed, the heroic ranger has one last stand against Johnny and gets killed, etc. The one and only time a character breaks their nature is the ending. Kris is SUPPOSED to lure Johnny to the fire tower for one big, climactic battle but she finally breaks her own nature, does the intelligent thing, drops the locket and just runs for her life. I think that's why Johnny continues bludgeoning Colt: the action that was supposed to draw him away never happens. There's a distinct sound cue when Kris is walking on the road that I think is the indication that she's fully out of the nature of the slasher film, where she finds herself in the real world, talking to the woman and having to deal with the real consequences of his traumatic experience and the depression and anxiety that comes with it.

I would say you're missing the forest for the trees if your main complaint is the characters, dialogue and performances.

Meh, you can say it's an excuse but I think the dialogue and tilted performances are on purpose on a meta level. That part of the film (the characters and their dialogue) is one of the things 'stuck' in the 'nature' of a slasher film. They are playing out their roles with bad dialogue and less than earnest performances because that's their natural state.

The reason I fully believe that is because each and every character does exactly what they're supposed to, the stoner goes out by himself and gets killed, the promiscuous lovers flirt and get killed, the heroic ranger has one last stand against Johnny and gets killed, etc. The one and only time a character breaks their nature is the ending. Kris is SUPPOSED to lure Johnny to the fire tower for one big, climactic battle but she finally breaks her own nature, does the intelligent thing, drops the locket and just runs for her life. I think that's why Johnny continues bludgeoning Colt: the action that was supposed to draw him away never happens. There's a distinct sound cue when Kris is walking on the road that I think is the indication that she's fully out of the nature of the slasher film, where she finds herself in the real world, talking to the woman and having to deal with the real consequences of his traumatic experience and the depression and anxiety that comes with it.

I would say you're missing the forest for the trees if your main complaint is the characters, dialogue and performances.
this is just my opinion but,
but it's been 40+ years, SCREAM already made fun of that, Scary Movie made fun of that, ( I'm sure there are others) actually, LESLIE VERNON already made fun of that. CABIN IN THE WOODS did a much better job. did it perfectly. HATCHET ran it to the ground.
making "fun" of bad 80s acting is become a terrible cliche of itself. to the point that it's become its own annoying troupe in here.

it's starting to become an all out excuse for awful writing and acting. but let's say that's not the point, the point is Jonny. I'm supposed to focus all my attention on Jonny....

then why do the bonfire scene? that's another cope out. I'm supposed to only follow Jonny, but they cut 2 times to focus on the awful humans. the bonfire and the conversation about gas station girls ( which I didn't even understand at all) and they could say " we are giving you a little bit of character development" but why? the movie undoes itself with those 2 scenes. it almost ruins the entire experiment. that bonfire scene literally breaks the point of the movie ...
you could easily cut that scene out,

I didn't dislike the movie and I had a good experience, but the more I think about it. the more messy it becomes.

it really has awful editing and awful pacing ( and I'm not talking about the walking in the forest scenes. those were great)

Last edited:
In A Violent Nature isn't 'making fun' of slasher tropes, it's using them to illustrate a much deeper point about the natural world, human's stake in them, themes of post traumatic stress disorder and others.
Again, forest for the trees. You're stuck on the idea of dialogue when there's deeper things to digest here. Why do we see a scene of Johnny stalling his massacre because he finds a little toy car? Why does the movie end with a drawn out one sided conversation rather than the final girl blowing Johnny up with the gas can?

Reactions: saint.piss
In A Violent Nature isn't 'making fun' of slasher tropes, it's using them to illustrate a much deeper point about the natural world, human's stake in them, themes of post traumatic stress disorder and others.
Again, forest for the trees. You're stuck on the idea of dialogue when there's deeper things to digest here. Why do we see a scene of Johnny stalling his massacre because he finds a little toy car? Why does the movie end with a drawn out one sided conversation rather than the final girl blowing Johnny up with the gas can?
but thats the thing, we are following him, for the entire movie, the movie is about him, from his point of view, you are supposed to fully immerse yourself in him (like the leslie vernom movie) technically you ARE jonny. you follow him and see the world with him, you hear the nature around him with him. am i correct? (you dont even properly hear the conversation at the beginning house or the sheriff at first since you are following him)

the bonfire scene betrays that, it betrays itself, betrays the audience . ands you could argue that the bonfire scene was done for me to connect with the girl, but they dont even focus on her, which is done so poorly, they even messed that up.

maybe the bonfire scene needed to be there to connect to the ending, but then the camera needed to focus on her the entire time, which is another huge wasted opportunity, huge miss opportunity. have her be the main focus
the ending would have been more impactful and more important, if they had focus the bonfire scene and the porch scene on the locket girl, have her be the one sitting in the porch
(at the end you barely remember her)
the more i think about her the more disappointed i get. the worst the bonfire scene gets.

At this point I would suggest to just stop thinking about the movie then. I don't think an interpretation of In a Violent Nature as one that posits the viewer is supposed to be Johnny would lead you very far.

When you watch a nature documentary, are you supposed to "be" the feral lion fighting and maiming over its territory?

It's not a film for everybody, and that's ok!

Reactions: TheCodeMan95