Hurricane Irma | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Hurricane Irma

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Stay super safe, Orlando peeps.

My trip isn't until October but man I hope the damage isn't significant. What's the worst storm to directly impact Central FL, Andrew?

Looks like Miami visitors and students are ring asked to evacuate if possible.

This is the first storm in a while that my friends and I are taking seriously; we are from Florida.

Act Smart. Stay Safe. Good luck.
Keys have a mandatory visitor evac order. I did 2004 here and it felt like I was standing in the gunsights but was never afraid that it could kill me. This one.........

I am leading a group of youth from North Florida to Rock the Universe. My concern is mostly for the return trip that will have us directly on the evacuation route during a massive evacuation effort on Sunday. It seems like the responsible thing for the organizers to do is to allow people the option of cancelling without a penalty. It seems very irresponsible to be encouraging people to travel to Orlando when the State will be encouraging evacuation.

What's the worst storm to directly impact Central FL, Andrew?

Andrew was south Florida. Worst for central/Orlando was Charlie in 2004. Didn't help that three more minor storms followed on its heels. Took down a ton of trees at Disney, did a lot of damage to the surrounding area. I was in Deland at the time, about 45 minutes east of the Mouse, went without power for almost 6 weeks, but I knew of people who went 3 months.

It seems like the responsible thing for the organizers to do is to allow people the option of cancelling without a penalty. It seems very irresponsible to be encouraging people to travel to Orlando when the State will be encouraging evacuation.

I've seen on Twitter that all three parks are offering refunds. Worth a phone call, I agree you don't want to be driving back north after the event.

Reactions: graspthesun
We have family staying at Sandals on Antigua at the moment. They're in a concrete room above sea level and apparently the resort is well prepared but yikes, it's a bit scary.

Rock the Universe and Night of Joy should still go on because we're not expected to get heavy winds until Sunday. I'm curious if the parks will be closed on Sunday and/or Monday, because this is looking to be much worse than Matthew last year.

Problem there is all the people evacuating from South Florida, jamming up I95, 75, the Turnpike (and any other northern route you can find) when guests are also trying to get out.

Tolls are being lifted at 5PM all over Florida to assist with it. Keys start evacs tomorrow, other places probably later in the week

One of the major issues with these storms is that if you've traveled from the north by car, your ability to navigate closed major roads is problematic for a pretty long time. During the storm that parked off the Carolina/ Georgia coast in 2015 the major roads were impassable for over a week. Then with the 2016 hurricane the same stuff happened. I'm seriously considering whether to travel to Orlando in the Fall anymore. Both of our vacations were negatively impacted by those travel difficulties. Seems like one of those bad weather cycles has started.

Hey, you got one more planned already, 2018 remember ;):whoo:

Andrew was south Florida. Worst for central/Orlando was Charlie in 2004. Didn't help that three more minor storms followed on its heels. Took down a ton of trees at Disney, did a lot of damage to the surrounding area. I was in Deland at the time, about 45 minutes east of the Mouse, went without power for almost 6 weeks, but I knew of people who went 3 months.
Yeah I believe Charlie was the worst at least since the theme parks have been around. I got to be one of the first to go out and inspect the damage at Disney. It was really amazing to see and equally amazing to see how quickly they took care of it all.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I heard that at Hollywood Studios the "Splash mermaid" fountain was ripped out of the ground... was that Charly?

Yeah I believe Charlie was the worst at least since the theme parks have been around. I got to be one of the first to go out and inspect the damage at Disney. It was really amazing to see and equally amazing to see how quickly they took care of it all.

Despite its reputation, central Florida is surprisingly immune to hurricanes. The ones in 2004 were I believe the first big ones in recorded history, and obviously hasn't been anything near that since. Contrast that with, say, Connecticut, where we pretty much got a nasty one every couple decades (1938, Gloria, Sandy, I think there was one in the 60s).

The flip side of that is none of these "hurricane-proof" buildings has actually been exposed to a Cat 4. IF it hits Orlando fast and keeps that strength (which, again, we can't know right now), uncharted territory. I can't promise theme parks will be back to business as usual by Friday because no one knows.

Might have to fly down for that one. :lol:

:thumbsup:

Might fly back up north with you, we are talking about pulling in NYC that trip :).

:topic:

Just watching CNN, they saying its the 2nd biggest storm out over the atlantic, fingers crossed it changes course and loses some of its power.

If they start tearing down the temporary stages/props that'll be a big sign right there. Also: Miami-Dade County has cancelled school Thursday and Friday 9/7 and 9/8. School will be open on Wednesday 9/6.

Despite its reputation, central Florida is surprisingly immune to hurricanes. The ones in 2004 were I believe the first big ones in recorded history, and obviously hasn't been anything near that since. Contrast that with, say, Connecticut, where we pretty much got a nasty one every couple decades (1938, Gloria, Sandy, I think there was one in the 60s).

The flip side of that is none of these "hurricane-proof" buildings has actually been exposed to a Cat 4. IF it hits Orlando fast and keeps that strength (which, again, we can't know right now), uncharted territory. I can't promise theme parks will be back to business as usual by Friday because no one knows.
Yeah, I grew up in Houston and have lived here for about 15 years. Both locations have been about equally inland and every storm I've gone through has always been significantly weakened. So much of the media focuses on the heaviest hit areas and many people have a very skewed perspective of these storms. If you're on the coast you evacuate and hope for the best. Inland you're going to deal with rain, some minor wind damage, some tress down and no power for a while. So yeah, we're fortunate that we are somewhat immune, it's just a matter of preparing for the secondary issues that come along.