Justice League (2017/2021) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Justice League (2017/2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Embargo has lifted for some on Zack Snyder's Justice League

To those people:

giphy.gif

Critic's Embargo is supposed to lift tommorow at noon but there are some critics that jumped the gun.

They haven't jumped the gun. Them saying this means the social media embargo is up and they're allowed to say general thoughts. They can't post full reviews though until tomorrow.

There's a little glimmer of hope in those. reviews, but it's not hard to be better than the 2017 version and the quick take from Andrew Salazar saying "It's everything fans love.... and hate about Snyder but amplified" is the type of stuff i'm expecting and worried about. I expect this to sort of be Zach Snyder's ego on full display and while a lot of people like his work, there's also a lot of people that don't like his work. I mean, this is the guy that sucked all of the fun out of the Superman character in BvS.

Reactions: SeventyOne
They haven't jumped the gun. Them saying this means the social media embargo is up and they're allowed to say general thoughts. They can't post full reviews thought until tomorrow.

There's a little glimmer of hope in those. reviews, but it's not hard to be better than the 2017 version and the quick take from Andrew Salazar saying "It's everything fans love.... and hate about Snyder but amplified" is the type of stuff i'm expecting and worried about. I expect this to sort of be Zach Snyder's ego on full display and while a lot of people like his work, there's also a lot of people that don't like his work. I mean, this is the guy that sucked all of the fun out of the Superman character in BvS.
Yeah hence the edit I attached to my post since I saw these tweets.

I'm glad for fans that this seems to at least be decent. I'm just not a Snyder fan at at and four hours is a long ass time. I'm honestly not even sure how much I care even seeing positive reaction, now I just fear how the fanbase will react now that it's being received well. Calls have already started to "Continue the Snyderverse". Fans will never be happy.

You finally get the one thing you complained about for 3.5 years and then it's immediately on to the next thing. For some reason, the DC and Star Wars fan bases are like this and it's just so tiring. Marvel never seems to have these crazy debates/issues. Perhaps if Marvel was putting out a lesser product like both DC and Star Wars have at times over the past decade it would be different within the fan base.

Reactions: jseal777
I'm glad for fans that this seems to at least be decent. I'm just not a Snyder fan at at and four hours is a long ass time. I'm honestly not even sure how much I care even seeing positive reaction, now I just fear how the fanbase will react now that it's being received well. Calls have already started to "Continue the Snyderverse". Fans will never be happy.

You finally get the one thing you complained about for 3.5 years and then it's immediately on to the next thing. For some reason, the DC and Star Wars fan bases are like this and it's just so tiring. Marvel never seems to have these crazy debates/issues. Perhaps if Marvel was putting out a lesser product like both DC and Star Wars have at times over the past decade it would be different within the fan base.
I mean to be fair, marvel surpasses both star wars and dc in frequency of releases by a long shot, so even if one movie is a dud its only like 2 months till the next one is out, so there isn't really a window for 3 years of hype and demand for a recut that can probably only do so much as is. Honestly even if the Snyder Cut is an improvement on the original, I have a feeling the whole snyderverse idea is probably supposed to be capped off here whether people want more or not, since its become pretty clear that DC is kinda trying to ditch the straight MCU style universe at this point.

I mean to be fair, marvel surpasses both star wars and dc in frequency of releases by a long shot, so even if one movie is a dud its only like 2 months till the next one is out, so there isn't really a window for 3 years of hype and demand for a recut that can probably only do so much as is. Honestly even if the Snyder Cut is an improvement on the original, I have a feeling the whole snyderverse idea is probably supposed to be capped off here whether people want more or not, since its become pretty clear that DC is kinda trying to ditch the straight MCU style universe at this point.
That’s true I guess about frequency. Captain Marvel is probably THE single most divisive Marvel movie, yet because Endgame came out only 2 months later, there was never any time for extended moaning about the movie really. It was straight on to hype for Endgame, then Far From Home immediately after that.

With the Disney+ shows it’s the same type of thing. WandaVision was received well for the most part except for the finale. And we’re now only days away from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier already, putting WV in the rearview.

Interesting to think about the reasons behind why the actors haven't done any press for this, especially with the ease of hopping on Zoom. Of course, it's probably mostly due to how the Snyder Cut sells itself. If you're a DC fan, you definitely know this is happening and you probably want to see it, too.

Let's be honest though, the star of this film is Zach Snyder.

Reactions: SeventyOne
So, I am taking the time at the 2 Hour mark to stop and think about the first half of the Snyder Cut, because already I have..a lot to share. I'll separate by spoiler and non-spoilers.

Non Spoilers
- The amount of added context between plot moments and beats, really helps flesh out a lot of the characters. I would say that, especially for Cyborg.
- Steppenwolf feels like a near 180 flip from what we got in Joss's cut, compared to Snyder's. It's the same character, but I actually like the direction and tone that Steppenwolf has, and his visuals aren't as bad as I expected.
- The IMAX ratio still doesn't work. It should be in full widescreen resolution; or atleast, to have the option.
- Some of the CGI is a bit wonky, particularly with the first Motherbox

Spoilers
- The amount of time and care that we get of seeing Cyborg's origin, of the moment his mother died, the moment of his first flight. It makes me wish we got a standalone film before JL with him, as it'd help.
- I really, really do not like Barry Allen. He borderlines on a kid who wants something or else he'll get a fit, and part of me suspects that legitimately is due to Ezra here. I hope to be proven wrong in the second half with the new footage, but for now..yeah, not the biggest of fans of that.
- The graphical intensity of the viserage is more surprising than I think I realized. They didn't shy away from it, especially with the R rating. They have people being cut in half, their limbs being forcibly removed. It's kind of surprising to see how this was in the apparent Assembly Cut.

I'll update once I get done with the second half, but I figured giving this a try due to that I'm at the point of where the film would've ended.

I only had time to watch Part 1 before work this morning, but it's already much better than... whatever it was that Whedon was trying to do. I have Dolby Atmos and the sound on this movie is really well done. I'm glad HBO Max decided to start delivering their newer content with better video and audio quality than when it first launched.

Okay. So I finished it.

Non Spoilers from first viewing.
- It is vastly better than that of the original JL. Padded, sure, but I think it might be my favorite DCEU for just how it maintains that of what Snyder does, but to make it more mainstream. There's room for improvement, and I want to see where this leads. Especially if WB wants to keep getting original content onto HBOMax; I want to see where this continues.
- The music is outstanding. Junkie XL does outstanding work with what he has. It feels extremely good to see him back, and I hope this continues, just like what I said of the last point.
- The amount of old footage is extremely surprising.
- Steppenwolf may be among my favorite of the DCEU villains now. Going extremely close to Mark Strong's performance of Sivana. Ciarán Hinds has so much fun that it's kind of fascinating to see the more varied version. Especially with better VFX than that of the theatrical cut.
- Outside of some questionable moments between Ezra, the cast was good. I was a bit turned off by Ezra in the first half, but I did somewhat warm up. I hope we see more of Ray Fisher as Viktor. I think he did really well with the emotional beats.

Now then..Spoilers. Hoo boy.
- The Flashpoint like scene of Barry slipping through time, trying to get back to before the point when the unity completed; might be my favorite scene in the film. The visuals of Barry reconstructing the areas around him is outstanding, and I really hope the Standalone Flashpoint does effects similar to that of what Snyder and the VFX teams have done.
- Martian Manhunter. A character that makes me giddy everytime I say his name with film. It's really, really, freaking cool to see him in limited action; and I hope this isn't the last time we see Harry Lennix take on the role.
-I'm legitimately surprised about how much footage they kept. From the rooftop scene with Gordon, the ending scenes with the various members of the league. It was refreshing to see Viktor get more out of it, and to see how Snyder layed the groundwork for that of the original Aquaman.

And..now, the one scene that I will go through the trouble on adding an extra layer of spoilers, because I legitimately didn't expect it.
So, the third to last major scene, of Lex Luthor escaping from Arkham..was from Snyder's version. However, they changed it from the two versions. In Whedons, it seems that they were setting up more of the League of Villians, where as here..we get very clearly Lex wanting Deathstroke to go after Batman, even using Bruce's name to entice Slade into getting a drink. Out of all the things--please; let us see this story. I want to see how the hell Slade uses Bruce's secret to his advantage, and the lengths in a "Hunt" against The Batman. Absolutely enthralling to not expect that at all.

So..I was more happy with this than I thought I would be. I don't lie when I say that I think I'm kind of excited about the future of this, if this is a success. I want to see where they pick up things; and if anything, this might prove that HBOMax might be a great platform for it. Would allow them to be more bold and to allow more freedom, while also ensuring that it'd be at the same level. It's not the best movie, but I do think I won't mind watching it again a few times.

There are issues however. The CGI can be wonky at a lot of the time, probably because of the budget for the VFX and the new scenes, but it wasn't a complete downgrade. What we got is quite great.

Now if only they didn't do the stupid ratio.

3.5/5

So i'm in the UK and they announced Sky was going to be having the Snyder Cut, I was resigned to having to pay to watch it but no its on Sky Cinema so free with your current subscription, there are some perks to Comcast owning Sky I suppose lol, well have dl it ready to watch a bit later.

Watched it out of a morbid curiousity, having not actually watched any main line DC movies all the way through since Wonder Woman. Somewhat surprised to say, not awful. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece and I'm not gonna scramble to recommend it to all of my friends, especially given the running time, but all things considered its a pretty competant superhero movie, which is probably the most I could ask of it. Solid C+.

Reactions: belloq87
This was fan. tast. ic. I grew up a DC fan. There is so much fan service. Oh my God. This might be my favorite superhero movie aside from Man of Steel and above The Winter Soldier.