Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kennywood Park

The Old Mill needs a retheme. Either go back to "The Old Mill" or even Trip Around The World or Hard Headed Harold's Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway.
Yes. Garfield's theming is horrible. It's so appropriately called Garfield's Nightmare...and it is a nightmare. They were supposed to change it a couple of years ago because they didn't want to keep paying the IP rights. Then, something'terrible' happened :lol:, and they continued the agreement. ...Maybe the new owners will change course. ....capacity has gotten really bad though. Weight problems with the boats, so they limit loading combinations. They even break up some families and spread them over two boats instead of one so the boats don't get stuck in the tunnel.

Last edited:
Amusement Today, an industry publication, has awarded Kennywood's Steel Curtain a Golden Ticket Award for Best New Roller Coaster of 2019. The other finalists for best new coaster were Hagrids, Copperhead Strike, Untamed, and Yukon Striker. .....Amusement Today also named Kennywood's Noah's Ark (built in 1936) the Best Funhouse Walkthrough Attraction. They honored the attraction with LEGEND status as they prepare to retire this specific award.

Last edited:
I wish Noah's ark would bring back the submarine ending. I liked that a lot and it would be great with the other refurbs.

Amusement today always skews the awards for more pure fun factor over package with themeing. I'm glad kennywood got a good ride though because I thought it was a real risk to work with S&S and dedicate some of the parks very limited space and limited large investments to something of unknown quality.

I wish Noah's ark would bring back the submarine ending. I liked that a lot and it would be great with the other refurbs.

Amusement today always skews the awards for more pure fun factor over package with themeing. I'm glad kennywood got a good ride though because I thought it was a real risk to work with S&S and dedicate some of the parks very limited space and limited large investments to something of unknown quality.
The sub section at the end had basically quit working for quite a few years when they refurbed the Ark and largely went back to the original version. We took the little ones (5 & 6) on it for the first time this summer and they loved it so much they went on it 5 times during the day, and wanted more until we said no more. :lol:....I haven't rode the Steel Curtain yet since the lines are too long for me. I just refuse to stand in 2 hour long lines for anything. But that area of the park is really nice now with the accompanying Steeler Experience area, and it really makes the park seem much larger since only a bit of that area was occupied by the very much loved Log Jammer. When they were building the coaster I wasn't too happy that it was ruining the ambiance and sightlines of the ancient lagoon. But I've gotten used to the look, and it adds a lot of kinetic energy to the park since the coaster comes within a few feet of the masses of people near the lagoon and the bridge that crosses it. I'd say it's a big plus for the park, and since the early tech downtime issues, the past month has been smooth sailing.

Did my first Phantom Fright Nights!

:thumbsup: Nice video....I live a short drive away, but I'm not much of a horror fan and I've never attended it. And after going to HHN at Universal a few times, I figured it couldn't come close to anything that I experienced in Orlando, so I have yet to make it over. That said, it seems immensely popular here with the local teenagers, so I guess it serves a business purpose.

Kennywoods' Holiday Lights runs from Nov. 22nd through Dec. 30th. New this year is Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, starring Rudolph & Hermie the Elf, in the 4D simulator theater. This replaces The Polar Express film which ran the past few years. The twice hourly Lagoon lights show returns. The park is decorated with more than two million lights and it has the tallest decorated Xmas tree in Pennsylvania. Most non coaster rides are open. some Xmas themed, and local groups perform on the Holiday stage. Miniature train show in the games area. Bonfires and hot chocolate too, to warm the body during the cold November/December nights.

Seriously I was worried they went S&S on the new coaster and it would be terrible because they were obviously cheaper. RMC was cheap when they needed market share. They are no longer cheap and will probably never be cheap as long as they don't screw up. I would RMC any ride until someone could argue that it was not an improvement, but not at the cost if totally new ride.

Cool trivia; Broadway star Billy Porter (Kinky Boots etc.) , who emceed the red carpet for the Oscars and sang for part of the Oscars opening act, is from Pittsburgh, and one of his earliest entertainment gigs was singing and dancing in the Kennywood Parks Stage Show for three years in the 80's. Live entertainment at it's best. :thumbsup:

The Pgh. Tribune is reporting that Jerome Gibas, General Manager and Chris Salerno, Marketing Director has resigned............My guess is that this is associated with the recent acquisition of the Parque Reunidi parks by a private equity firm.