King Kong Speculation Thread | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

King Kong Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey skip.... Which one are you on the podcast? I've listened to every one so far and didn't realise you were one of the guys on it.

How would Kong affect the theming of IOA.... Isn't IOA all lands based off of books or comics...?
Was kong a book before it was a movie?

Hey skip.... Which one are you on the podcast? I've listened to every one so far and didn't realise you were one of the guys on it.

How would Kong affect the theming of IOA.... Isn't IOA all lands based off of books or comics...?
Was kong a book before it was a movie?

He is Sean, I'm Mike, and TestTrack321 is Joe.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
The 3-D aspect is kinda important to mention when comparing a ride to Indy, the Great Movie Ride, and Kongfrontation, all rides that completely utilized fully-realized physical sets and animatronics......

Now the whole thing makes a lot more sense. And is more disappointing. I don't mind 3-D, but animatronics are better, and I think that's kinda what everyone was hoping for.

No AA means its not Kong... Id rather they do nothing with the land than a projection

- - - Updated - - -

...have you ever been on it? :lol:

I never said they were great AA's. Blacklights or not (believe it or not, blacklights are the cornerstone for any dark ride so not sure what you're getting at there), there are still no projected images other than the bugs and rats...two very minor effects overall, not the landmark of the whole attraction.

I'm more of a proponent of 3-D than most, and I agree that it's better than nothing, but I'm also a huge proponent of physical effects/animatronics as well. Not all animatronics are doomed to fail--Universal could've pulled it off (as they did in the past). But I guess we'll take what we can get. It's still pretty disappointing.

Arent they using a Giant AA for a dragon in gringgots?? For some reason, I feel like they could pull off something if they really wanted to. And Ill say it again, Kong will bring in hundreds of thousands, even millions... the 40+ Generation wh saw kong in their 20's will make a trip to see him once again... I say we petition!

- - - Updated - - -

...I never said there would be no physical effects. If you weren't so preoccupied with finding something to argue about with everyone all the time maybe you would get a lot more out of people's posts.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally was really excited for a Kong animatronic and judging by the fact that the comparisons made to this proposed new ride featured no 3-D, I thought that was a reasonable expectation. A lot of others expressed disappointment at the thought of a Kong 360 clone. So yeah, load it up with all kinds of physical effects and that's very exciting, but the big ape being in 3-D changes the dynamic of the ride. Do I think it'll be complete crap now? No. Do I still wish animatronics were in the picture? Absolutely.

Dont want to argue, but I dont want to see Kong in 3d... wont be the same, use the space for a new IP or more JP

Disneyhead did talk about a big Kong animatronic back when they were talking about it being in Disaster. I always assumed when they moved it over to IOA that it would be so they could use the same film from the Kong in California. However, I also just assumed there would also be animatronics, so that made it ok. I'm sure many others were the same as me. But now that I'm hearing no animatronics, my thrill for this new ride is completely gone. So my hope is that HTF was fed a red herring and that the Disaster rumor is still true. Nothing personal against anyone.

OH. This is a 3D Kong attraction? Why didn't you say so? Then please don't touch my Jurassic Park.

I spoke with Skip off the boards earlier today and I feel I did exactly what I should of. You see read everything I wrote, I never mentioned a full size AA Kong. The comparisons I made are correct I just left out the Kong aspect as well as the 3D aspect. The main reason I left out 3D is because I didn't want this to turn into a 3D discussion. You want to discuss your doubts, which props to Skip he nailed the budget deal early and I was biting my tongue lol, or maybe discuss Kong and it's relativity, or maybe even discuss how awesome it is Universal isn't letting off the gas that's great. But to discuss the age of multimedia attractions at Universals expense is silly and irritating. Their are people that just bitch about oh that's all Universal does is build media based attractions now. Thing about it is, is that Universal is building rides 5-1 vs Disney so yeah it's easy to make that argument. Disney is just sitting idle but real quick lets take a look around. Newest Disney attractions that utilize media for large areas or portions. Star Tours, Iron Man, Avatar, TSMM, Mystic Manor, and.....God we need new rides down here from Disney...

Also clarify their will be AA's, projected effects, physical effects, pyro, and 3d. All while utilizing a motion base RV. Also after a conversation tonight at HHN I'm like 90% Kong is coming where as before I was about 70%. :thumbs:

I spoke with Skip off the boards earlier today and I feel I did exactly what I should of. You see read everything I wrote, I never mentioned a full size AA Kong. The comparisons I made are correct I just left out the Kong aspect as well as the 3D aspect. The main reason I left out 3D is because I didn't want this to turn into a 3D discussion. You want to discuss your doubts, which props to Skip he nailed the budget deal early and I was biting my tongue lol, or maybe discuss Kong and it's relativity, or maybe even discuss how awesome it is Universal isn't letting off the gas that's great. But to discuss the age of multimedia attractions at Universals expense is silly and irritating. Their are people that just bitch about oh that's all Universal does is build media based attractions now. Thing about it is, is that Universal is building rides 5-1 vs Disney so yeah it's easy to make that argument. Disney is just sitting idle but real quick lets take a look around. Newest Disney attractions that utilize media for large areas or portions. Star Tours, Iron Man, Avatar, TSMM, Mystic Manor, and.....God we need new rides down here from Disney...

Also clarify their will be AA's, projected effects, physical effects, pyro, and 3d. All while utilizing a motion base RV. Also after a conversation tonight at HHN I'm like 90% Kong is coming where as before I was about 70%. :thumbs:

Did you get any feel for the plans from WLightBulb? It seems he had a bit of a tirade over the Gringotts/Diagon Alley budget cuts that removed a lot from the attraction, that I unfortunately missed before he deleted.

Thing about it is, is that Universal is building rides 5-1 vs Disney so yeah it's easy to make that argument. Disney is just sitting idle but real quick lets take a look around. Newest Disney attractions that utilize media for large areas or portions. Star Tours, Iron Man, Avatar, TSMM, Mystic Manor, and.....God we need new rides down here from Disney...
:

Sooooo everything Universal does is good because Disney isn't doing anything right now? That's the kind of thinking that keeps Universal from being the standard. It's great that they're expanding so rapidly, but its very reasonable for people to be sick of "media-based attractions". Is 3-D terrible? No...but are AA's and full physical sets better? I think we can all agree yes. So it's gonna be a disappointment regardless of what the neighbors are up to. If Universal truly wants to be #1, or at least in competition for it, then they're gonna have to stop justifying everything they do by saying its more than what Disneys up to.

So if Skull Island was next to JP, would they move the arch further back or would you enter between Toon Lagoon and where the JP arch is now? God I hope they don't reduce the space of JP and move the arch back. That would be a terrible "expansion"! Also if they have Skull Island in JP that would be even more dumb! I hope it goes into Disaster. They are slowly ruining my favorite island, JP.

I should chime in and say that I know nothing about this version of this attraction. Everything I have said before was concerning the pitch for the Disaster! overlay. But I am pretty excited for this version. I like the larger scope and the whole tour of Skull Island. I think the giant insects are going to be pretty darned intense for those squeamish to those types of things.

And concerning 3D. I have come to accept that since Spider-man, mixed media is Universal's schtick. They are the big immersive 3D guys and Disney are the AA guys. I actually prefer Universal's route since I personally don't think that AA technology is where it needs to be to do convincing large scale AAs. I am anxious to see the Dragon in Gringott's. But for the most part I think Universal has done quite well at building impressive large scale E-Tickets with their mixed media approach. I would rather have Transformers any day over Little Mermaid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyman55
I should chime in and say that I know nothing about this version of this attraction. Everything I have said before was concerning the pitch for the Disaster! overlay. But I am pretty excited for this version. I like the larger scope and the whole tour of Skull Island. I think the giant insects are going to be pretty darned intense for those squeamish to those types of things.

And concerning 3D. I have come to accept that since Spider-man, mixed media is Universal's schtick. They are the big immersive 3D guys and Disney are the AA guys. I actually prefer Universal's route since I personally don't think that AA technology is where it needs to be to do convincing large scale AAs. I am anxious to see the Dragon in Gringott's. But for the most part I think Universal has done quite well at building impressive large scale E-Tickets with their mixed media approach. I would rather have Transformers any day over Little Mermaid.

Agreed. HTF's descriptions make it quite clear that the scope of this ride is greater than other screen-based attractions Universal has done in the past --animatronics and a live actor combined with large sets AND screen effects. It sounds like Gringotts has inspired them to move in this direction, and I'm eager to experience both of these rides.

A good ride is a good ride, and a new ride is better than nothing, but we've lost too many big AA's at Universal for media based rides(and so much 3-D!). Give me a big AA attraction again Uni! :nunchucks:

A good ride is a good ride, and a new ride is better than nothing, but we've lost too many big AA's at Universal for media based rides(and so much 3-D!). Give me a big AA attraction again Uni! :nunchucks:

Im sure there is someone at Uni lookin at these threads... they'll do the right thing... Or we can petition
:kingkong:
:iagree:

Status
Not open for further replies.