Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Berry Farm

I'd be pretty gutted if they got rid of Mystery Lodge. It is such a unique show in California. I am really hoping it returns this year now that I have a pass.

I heard the opposite

They are eager to keep it around, BUT they want to upgrade the tech and work on some of the theming to make it more cohesive.

It’s an old attraction that they want to refresh for a new generation is how it was put to me, but the funding took a hit last year.

I also think they would actually face some backlash getting rid of it as they consulted with some Native American tribes in the making of it to try to represent traditions/legends. As well, the Native American dancer show, though small, always draws a crowd, so there’s an audience for these types of experience at Knott’s

That is what I have heard as well. I am sure last year didn't help the already difficult situation around Mystery Lodge.

What I've heard is they need to replace a specific part (projector lens or something like that) and since the original manufacturer is no longer around, they have to find another company to produce a custom replacement part. Also, it's not cheap. Something like around $50,000 and with COVID, it's really factoring in to their budget. I get the feeling that if they can't find that replacement part, the show will not return.

On a side note, Mrs. Knott's fried chicken is being offered as a rotational menu item at Wilderness Broiler for the next two weeks for all dining plans. Is this the first time Mrs. Knott's fried chicken is offered inside the park? Nice knowing my dining plan is eligible for this option. I've always wished their fried chicken was offered on the meal plan. Even if it's only for two weeks, I'll take it. It might be a smart marketing move to get those who've never tried Mrs. Knott's fried chicken to get exposure and open up more sales for Mrs. Knott's fried chicken restaurant or their to-go spot.

What I've heard is they need to replace a specific part (projector lens or something like that) and since the original manufacturer is no longer around, they have to find another company to produce a custom replacement part. Also, it's not cheap. Something like around $50,000 and with COVID, it's really factoring in to their budget. I get the feeling that if they can't find that replacement part, the show will not return.

On a side note, Mrs. Knott's fried chicken is being offered as a rotational menu item at Wilderness Broiler for the next two weeks for all dining plans. Is this the first time Mrs. Knott's fried chicken is offered inside the park? Nice knowing my dining plan is eligible for this option. I've always wished their fried chicken was offered on the meal plan. Even if it's only for two weeks, I'll take it. It might be a smart marketing move to get those who've never tried Mrs. Knott's fried chicken to get exposure and open up more sales for Mrs. Knott's fried chicken restaurant or their to-go spot.

The designer of the attraction (BRC Imagination Enterprises) is still around. Not sure about the parts cost, but I had been told that they wanted to update the show into the new generation. As it was put to me, the show is old and doesn't quite have the same visual appeal it had 25+ years ago. From my source, they also want to touch up the entire attraction (which I hope means they make the theater look more like a gathering hut on the inside).

The busted part that's on backorder/needs to be found is more an issue for the train as that sucker is difficult/expensive to get supplies for. The nice thing about Knott's is they have a real working steam engine, the bad thing about Knott's is they have a real working steam engine.

Thanks for the heads up about the chicken dinner deal, I will have to grab some this weekend.

Re: The B&M Permit, I've talked to a reputable source who strongly believes they are parts for Silver Bullet. However, one of CF's 2023 Addition's is reportedly for a California park, but there is no true indication which one, so perhaps there is the minuscule chance they're trying to get ahead of the curve? FWIW, I don't believe this is something to strongly lose minds over.

Surprisingly, Soak City and Knott's did not seem that busy today considering it was a holiday weekend. My biggest gripe was on the Calico River Rapids queue. The vertical wooden slats in the queue had plenty of graffiti-like markings on the top of it with inappropriate markings using pens and markers. There were lots of written phone numbers, Instagram pages and such. There were also lots of phallic drawings, obscene drawings and such that ruined the experience for young kids. They had to sand off the inappropriate markings. Hope they add more cameras and kick out these punks for tarnishing the queues.

The train was running so they finally fixed whatever issue it had. Sorry, no picture, but the Xcelerator maze looked to be pretty much completed from the outside.

Last edited:
Talked to an employee today, and while I always take that sort of info with a grain of salt, the explanations seem credible: Hangtime is down because the lift hill chain broke and is awaiting replacement, Xcelerator blew out a hydraulic motor, and Dragon Swing (which has also been down for a while) needs some repair and is awaiting parts.

Also, both Sky Cabin and Berry Tales both went down for a long time this morning... but the were both back up by about noon-1pm or so. But both the train and stagecoach were running (I think stagecoach opened up later in the day)

A bit of an update on Mystery Lodge

From what I have been told, they had intended to refresh the entire attraction for the 100th anniversary. The tech in the attraction has not changed or been upgraded since it was installed (1994), so they knew they had to invest some serious dough to get the job done and bring it up to modern standards

One of the major pieces has been ordered and installed, but another expensive portion got delayed due to COVID.

Long story short, they have already invested money in this project, they want to bring it back, now they just have to wait until it is financially feasible.

Went yesterday, thinking it might not be that bad since my last trip earlier this summer on a Saturday was EMPTY. Maybe a mildly naive notion since it was a Saturday in the middle of July, however...
It was a total nightmare. Everything was jam packed. 20 minutes just to get into the parking lot. 20 minutes just to get through metal detectors. 20 minutes just to get through the front gates. 20 minutes or more just to get food. 10 minutes or more just to get a snack like a pretzel. No joke, Jaguar was 3 hours. Small stuff like the Ferris Wheel or the spinny hats were 45 minutes during the down periods of the day. Crowds never let up either, it was brutal all the way to closing. I never experienced the park this crowded in all of my years attending, even on days for free entry for Veterans. These were Six Flags level of lines. I had no idea Knotts was even this popular anymore.
Are Fridays or Sundays better on crowds? Or do Saturdays get better at some point?

We went Saturday
Went yesterday, thinking it might not be that bad since my last trip earlier this summer on a Saturday was EMPTY. Maybe a mildly naive notion since it was a Saturday in the middle of July, however...
It was a total nightmare. Everything was jam packed. 20 minutes just to get into the parking lot. 20 minutes just to get through metal detectors. 20 minutes just to get through the front gates. 20 minutes or more just to get food. 10 minutes or more just to get a snack like a pretzel. No joke, Jaguar was 3 hours. Small stuff like the Ferris Wheel or the spinny hats were 45 minutes during the down periods of the day. Crowds never let up either, it was brutal all the way to closing. I never experienced the park this crowded in all of my years attending, even on days for free entry for Veterans. These were Six Flags level of lines. I had no idea Knotts was even this popular anymore.
Are Fridays or Sundays better on crowds? Or do Saturdays get better at some point?

Usually getting there 30-60 minutes before the park opens works wonders

As well, past 9ish (after the lighting of the K) most lines calm down

I am going Sunday the 8th, so I will have more to report after that