La La Land | Inside Universal Forums

La La Land

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My brother is an Executive with Lionsgate. He loved the movie. They had a good Golden Globes. Four of the movies (all but Fences) they had some type of distribution rights (theater and/or dvd) were nominated for best picture. They had the deck stacked in their favor. He had been telling me how good this was for a good while. Amazing box office (dollars per theater) for a movie of this genre.

Reactions: Clive and Joel
what do you think about the end? crushing, but if it ended with them together, not sure I would've like it as much.
I thought the ending fit well. The simple nod they give each other at the end signified that they were both happy with where they were in life and appreciated their time together.

I thought the ending fit well. The simple nod they give each other at the end signified that they were both happy with where they were in life and appreciated their time together.
My girlfriend and I had a debate last night..
do you think the "altered flashback" scene at the end when Sebastian is playing their song (with Sebastian as the husband instead of her actual husband) was in Mia's head, Sebastian's head, or both? I think it was in Mia's head because how else would Sebastian have known all that stuff that happened between Mia and her husband..

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
My brother is an Executive with Lionsgate. He loved the movie. They had a good Golden Globes. Four of the movies (all but Fences) they had some type of distribution rights (theater and/or dvd) were nominated for best picture. They had the deck stacked in their favor. He had been telling me how good this was for a good while. Amazing box office (dollars per theater) for a movie of this genre.

Lionsgate is having a great year, and boy, did they need it after Gods of Egypt/Expendables/Divergent. They'll have a great awards season (and finally some new source material for office decorations...)

I used to intern for them. Beautiful HQ in Santa Monica.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Lionsgate is having a great year, and boy, did they need it after Gods of Egypt/Expendables/Divergent. They'll have a great awards season (and finally some new source material for office decorations...)

The year did start badly. At least with Gods of Egypt, they really didn't have any money in the movie so it didn't hurt them. And surprisingly it did well on dvd and cable viewing. But LGF finished up strong, and Tyler Perry finally got out of his slump too. My bro has an office out there and NYC also, overlooking Comcast's building that we're always talking about. They spend a lot of time scouting independent films, and that's where they get their best profits from. Now that they bought Starz they can take the next step.

do you think the "altered flashback" scene at the end when Sebastian is playing their song (with Sebastian as the husband instead of her actual husband) was in Mia's head, Sebastian's head, or both? I think it was in Mia's head because how else would Sebastian have known all that stuff that happened between Mia and her husband..
I'd say it was in Mia's head for the same reasons you said

There's a strong chance they're the studio with the most nominations between this, Hell or High Water, and Hacksaw Ridge.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
I'd say it was in Mia's head for the same reasons you said

There's a strong chance they're the studio with the most nominations between this, Hell or High Water, and Hacksaw Ridge.
They (LGF) also have distribution rights interests (film or dvd) in Manchester by the Sea & Lion (LGF has been the dvd distributor for Weinstein films for the past few years) also. My bro seems to think Manchester By the Sea might sneak in. Myself, I think it's too depressing. My bets for La La Land.

Last edited:

I thought it was in his head. The reason I say this is because the scene snaps back to reality with the camera moving way from him playing the piano. Also, in the flashback, he never ended up making his club in L.A, but he did in Paris. Remember when he said, "there is good jazz in Paris."

Reactions: Joel
They (LGF) also have distribution rights interests (film or dvd) in Manchester by the Sea & Lion (LGF has been the dvd distributor for Weinstein films for the past few years) also. My bro seems to think Manchester By the Sea might sneak in. Myself, I think it's too depressing. My bets for La La Land.

Manchester will absolutely get Best Pic, Best Actor (for Casey), and Best Original Screenplay noms, with the possibility of Supporting Actress and Best Directing. I think the only award it's likely to take is Best Actor, personally, with very little shot at Best Picture.

Either way, it's been a bang-up awards season for Lionsgate. As you said, they've got their fingers in so many pies it's hard to lose.

Amazon actually gets credit for the awards for Manchester by the Sea. I think Moonlight however may sneak in against La La Land as its starting to get negative buzz for being the winner at the Golden Globes. Winning the GG, kinda hurt its chances.

Manchester will absolutely get Best Pic, Best Actor (for Casey), and Best Original Screenplay noms, with the possibility of Supporting Actress and Best Directing. I think the only award it's likely to take is Best Actor, personally, with very little shot at Best Picture.

Either way, it's been a bang-up awards season for Lionsgate. As you said, they've got their fingers in so many pies it's hard to lose.
Manchester is definitely getting Supporting Actress and Directing nominations; the question is whether or not it can get a Supporting Actor nomination.

Amazon actually gets credit for the awards for Manchester by the Sea. I think Moonlight however may sneak in against La La Land as its starting to get negative buzz for being the winner at the Golden Globes. Winning the GG, kinda hurt its chances.
Nothing is going to beat La La Land. It's frontrunner position has been too strong for a while.

That's technically true.But LGF , due to various distribution rights,will make a tidy profit without financial commitment. And, for LGF, that's the true bottom line. Anyway, LGF has their fingerprints on four of the possible nominees. That's pretty amazing for a moderate level studio, that really doesn't do much actual production or filming. Basically, they just acquire various distribution rights.

That's technically true.But LGF , due to various distribution rights,will make a tidy profit without financial commitment. And, for LGF, that's the true bottom line. Anyway, LGF has their fingerprints on four of the possible nominees. That's pretty amazing for a moderate level studio, that really doesn't do much actual production or filming. Basically, they just acquire various distribution rights.

Last statement not fully true. They have their award house indie division Open Road Films which produces/distributes. And Lionsgate is the studio that produced all of Tyler Perry films, hunger games, twilight, divergent, and now Power Rangers. But it is impressive they put their support behind a lot of pictures that are award winning.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Last statement not fully true. They have their award house indie division Open Road Films which produces/distributes. And Lionsgate is the studio that produced all of Tyler Perry films, hunger games, twilight, divergent, and now Power Rangers. But it is impressive they put their support behind a lot of pictures that are award winning.
True to a degree. But most of their films aren't in house. And they generally don't put much of their own money in the films, which greatly limits their financial risk. And Tyler Perry uses his own Studios and produces his films. Usually, the arrangements are more like the Stallone Expendables where he's assuming most of the risk & production costs.

Last edited:
Shouldn't this be in the film section? Perhaps @BriMan or @testtrack321 could move the thread?

Besides that, I just got back from seeing La La Land; and I was trying to keep my expectations low esepcially from all of the insane word of mouth that this film has been receiving and with finally seeing the motion picture, I have this to honestly say.

This film, is my favorite film of 2016.

The film is a perfect homage back to the golden days of Motion Pictures and Musicals, with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone giving some of their best performances that I have ever seen from the two of them. The Choreography, is some of the best I've seen in AGES; as my personal favorite song is something that I don't want to spoil.

This film, deserves all the love it's getting; as I can't wait to see the nominations for The Academy later next week, as it deserves to be nominated.

If I was to bet though, which song gets nominated. It'd be the duet of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as they sang "City of Stars" together; and not just Ryan singing.

Last edited: