Live at Pointe Orlando | Inside Universal Forums

Live at Pointe Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeventyOne

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
Giving this its own thread since it finally opened Thursday night. Full disclosure, I was hosted for two hours of open bar, along with what felt like half of Orlando. But I still plan on returning to spend money soon.

General overview: a single company bought up half the closed venues on the second floor of Pointe Orlando and has re-opened them as 5ish separate bars, all grouped together with a stage for live acts in the middle. Sort of a more compact version of Pleasure Island or CityWalk. As of now, none have a cover, so bar-hopping encouraged. No comedy bars, but the Improv has rebranded as Funny Bones and is still open on weekends; Regal movie theater still around as well.

PBR Cowboy Bar, most recently Lafayette's, is the unquestioned star of the show. Huge venue with three bars, a mechanical bull, and a decent-sized dance floor with its own DJ. (As an aside, I learned The Killer's Mr. Brightside has its own line dance. The more you know...) They staff was incredibly friendly, and while it was stress-test conditions, my margarita was as good as I could expect from this sort of environment. Just a fun place, and country bars tend to be very popular in Orlando, so I expect this to be a hit.

Across the way, Shark Bar, for decades the home of Adobe Gilas, only had its outside bar open, but it looked great. A definite upgrade from the divey Adobes, beachy casual couches and chairs and a surfboard table have been added--not quite as upscale as the Tommy Bahama Cafe which used to be downstairs, but sort of the same vibe. My guess is this will have the most laid back feel, looking forward to going inside.

Huntsman Lodge is a weird one. Minimal theming, mostly just along the the walls, which doesn't do a lot to hide the fact it's a gutted Hooters. One large bar, plenty of big comfy booths. Thursday at least there was a DJ in here which didn't really fit the vibe the decor gives, but if it ends up being more pubby than clubby weeknights, could be an excellent place to chill with friends. Idk, didn't spend a lot of time in here, we'll see where it ends up. This also has a large, separate outdoor bar simply titled "Blue Moon Bar." No theming whatsoever, but it is right next to the outdoor stage and in the center of the comings and goings.

Sports & Social, formerly BB Kings, surprised me as well. Not a sports bar in the Alehouse/BW3 sense, I only saw one massive, 2-story TV, surrounded by smaller TVs. Can watch from the main floor or the upstairs, which covers maybe a third of the first floor. Didn't notice any smaller TVs around the bar like you might expect, maybe I missed them. (The free bourbon shots kicked in here.) Also kept a stage for live music--the cover band playing Thursday was the best I've heard since PI closed, just high-energy and four (!) singers bouncing through a variety of tunes. Hoping they're the house band. Also has real darts and some Beer Pong tables scattered around. Definitely more "social" than "sports" but I'll be curious to see the vibe on, say, a Sunday afternoon. The menu here did seem a little more high-end than I expected, e.g., a happy hour special on cacio e pepe (second aside, the greatest pasta dish every created).

The Palm Club also was not open, apparently more fine dining restaurant than bar.

Will it work? Hard to say. When big conventions are in town, I expect this will get packed out. Not sure if locals will come this far and pay to park--a big part of that will probably depend on how the still ongoing downstairs redevelopment goes. But it's good to see life return to the place, and to see an Orlando venue to return to the concept of a collection of bars, as opposed to just restaurants.

Reactions: Jake S and Mad Dog