Max (Streaming Service) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean theaters are open again

I'm seeing these films on the big screen if I can. HBO just doesn't have shows I care about they had GOT and watchmen was cool (but only one season)

Waiting for them to bring something interesting to the service.
GOT and Watchmen technically don't even count towards HBO Max as those were both finished before HBO Max even launched. Sure, they are on Max, but people have already seen them on HBO if they wanted to. Plus, shows from HBO go onto iTunes and Amazon for purchase, so they aren't exactly "exclusive".

What HBO Max is lacking is actual quality Max Originals. I'll give them that The Flight Attendant was really good, but it also seems like hardly anyone knows about it. HBO Max is lacking that "Must-see" exclusive original. Snyder Cut was the biggest buzz thing they've had, but I think a lot of those watchers were either already subbed or were one and done's (one month only). And to sort of add on to their problem, I don't believe they can make any Potter shows until the contract with Universal is up and Amazon now has Lord of the Rings.

Peacemaker should be a really fun show for the service, but I feel like this is the type of show that should've been ready to go at launch. Peacemaker will probably be up there on the level of The Boys for a good comparison. But that's not even coming until January.

Reactions: SeventyOne
In a way, when we look at MaxOriginals, the only major projects atleast for the foreseeable future, are that of Tokyo Vice and Gossip Girl. And the former had to pause work due to the pandemic screwing things.

I think the problem, as @Nick deducts, is not only that of the lack of worthwhile content to keep viewers interested in the service, but also that of the toll the pandemic has taken production studios.

It still baffles me that they didn't have a DC or Potter MaxOriginal series at launch. Even with things as they are with either, they needed something that'd cater to everyone in the same way as Mando did.

I'd also argue a small bit comes down to the mismanagement of marketing, but sleep is getting to me.

Reactions: Nick
I'd also argue a small bit comes down to the mismanagement of marketing, but sleep is getting to me.
Calling it HBO Max was a huge mistake imo, as they already had two other streaming apps with the HBO name in HBO Go and HBO Now. Idk what the name should've been - Maybe WarnerMax? Either way, the name's a problem.

If they actually had great originals and the service as a whole was just being overlooked (sort of like Apple TV+), i'd say this was a main problem. But original content is still their main problem as of right now.

In a way, when we look at MaxOriginals, the only major projects atleast for the foreseeable future, are that of Tokyo Vice and Gossip Girl. And the former had to pause work due to the pandemic screwing things.

I think the problem, as @Nick deducts, is not only that of the lack of worthwhile content to keep viewers interested in the service, but also that of the toll the pandemic has taken production studios.

It still baffles me that they didn't have a DC or Potter MaxOriginal series at launch. Even with things as they are with either, they needed something that'd cater to everyone in the same way as Mando did.

Tokyo Vice is kinda dead in the water due to the Ansel Elgort scandal.

Ezra Miller choked a woman on camera and is getting his own superhero movie with WB. WB is very inconsistent on these issues so if it can be swept under the rug, I think they'll move forward tbh.

EDIT:
So just to add on... Tokyo vice did recast a character, but it was a female supporting lead. Ansel Elgort is still on the project and it has been filming since late November/December.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I find it extremely, extremely interesting that somehow WB owns The Flintstones IP and yet an Adult Animated version is being added to Fox's Animation Domination slate instead of going to HBO Max. It just seems weird.

So this Ansel Elgort accusation came out in June of last year and there hasn’t been much more info surrounding it since then (at least from what I found). One woman accused him of sexual assault and he denied it. As of right now, his word against hers so I don’t know how studios say sink projects with him since it’s not conclusive yet. Probably why he is still being featured in the trailer for West Side Story. Disney has confidence in the project with him as the leading man and they have been proponents of social justice.

Last edited:
I find it extremely, extremely interesting that somehow WB owns The Flintstones IP and yet an Adult Animated version is being added to Fox's Animation Domination slate instead of going to HBO Max. It just seems weird.

A couple years ago they had Seth McFarland developing a remake. Maybe somebody at Fox just really likes the Flintstones?

I know most of Gen X grew up on the reruns but I thought the 30-minute toy commercials had taken over by the time Millennials entered the breakfast cereal market. Is there really that much demand or even recognition of the characters amongst anyone under 40?

A couple years ago they had Seth McFarland developing a remake. Maybe somebody at Fox just really likes the Flintstones?

I know most of Gen X grew up on the reruns but I thought the 30-minute toy commercials had taken over by the time Millennials entered the breakfast cereal market. Is there really that much demand or even recognition of the characters amongst anyone under 40?
How many people under 40 watch Fox to begin with though? :lol:

Isn’t the whole network basically either NFL, 20-30 year old Animated shows, or police shows?

• Haha

The same way Universal owns Magnum PI yet its on CBS. Sometimes the projects go to the highest bidder including stuff made internally.

The same way Universal owns Magnum PI yet its on CBS. Sometimes the projects go to the highest bidder including stuff made internally.
I know how entertainment works. Disney owns Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother, and Modern Family. All 21st Century Productions and all aired on different networks.

My point was, why wouldn't HBO Max want it? They would have the first dibs on the show i'd think, right? I mean, it's not like HBO Max has anything else right now and an adult animation show could be good for the service original content wise.

I know how entertainment works. Disney owns Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother, and Modern Family. All 21st Century Productions and all aired on different networks.

My point was, why wouldn't HBO Max want it? They would have the first dibs on the show i'd think, right? I mean, it's not like HBO Max has anything else right now and an adult animation show could be good for the service original content wise.

Look at it this way. Production company produces a show but the distributor is the one paying for it. So they go out and are like hey, here is a project we have what do you think? The network or streamer is like oh my god I love it. We will pay this amount for this show. That amount goes to pay for the production of the show and sometimes they board as co-producer coughing up even more money so they can get more input for story and a cut of the rights (All of the CW shows being co-productions with CBS) or in the event of Ted Lasso NBC held the underlying rights for the character due to SNL but Warner wanted to make the show so went to Universal and they get a cut while paying nothing.

Look at it this way. Production company produces a show but the distributor is the one paying for it. So they go out and are like hey, here is a project we have what do you think? The network or streamer is like oh my god I love it. We will pay this amount for this show. That amount goes to pay for the production of the show and sometimes they board as co-producer coughing up even more money so they can get more input for story and a cut of the rights (All of the CW shows being co-productions with CBS) or in the event of Ted Lasso NBC held the underlying rights for the character due to SNL but Warner wanted to make the show so went to Universal and they get a cut while paying nothing.
You're being very explain-y to me on something I need no help understanding.

I'm simply saying it'd be nice to see HBO Max get literally any originals of any value, even if it's something like this.

HBO Max Show Produced by Michael Schur

HBO Max’s 10-episode series Hacks explores a dark mentorship that forms between Deborah Vance (Smart), a legendary Las Vegas comedian, and an entitled, outcast 25-year-old (Einbinder).

Created and showrun by Downs, Aniello and Statsky, Hacks also stars series regular Carl Clemons-Hopkins and recurring guest stars Kaitlin Olson, Christopher McDonald, Paul W. Downs, Mark Indelicato, Poppy Liu, Johnny Sibilly, Meg Stalter and Rose Abdoo. Downs and Aniello executive produce via their Paulilu banner, Statsky via First Thought Productions, as well as Emmy winners Michael Schur via Fremulon, David Miner for 3 Arts Entertainment and Morgan Sackett. The studio is Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group.

Also CNBC is reported Ad supported HBO Max will be 9.99 a month.'

The $9.99/month HBO Max is much more appealing to me than paying the price of Netflix for a service that isn't offering me much in the way of new content. The only downside is the 2021 movie slate isn't included, but if there's any of those movies that I truly want to see, i'll be seeing it in a theater anyway.

Under the terms floated by Bloomberg, AT&T would spin off WarnerMedia into the newly combined company, creating a TV, film and streaming powerhouse. AT&T would contribute assets including WarnerMedia and HBO Max with Discovery’s reality television-heavy properties, such as the Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, OWN and Animal Planet, among others.

So much for HBO Max being one of T's "three main pillars of growth."

While Discovery is raking in the cash from 90 Day Fiancé, I don't think that is a smart long term investment. But it does highlight how weak HBO Max is in the unscripted, the value of unscripted programming, and why they want to team up with Discovery.