Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As far as I know it only ran for a few days when the parks reopened after the covid closure last year. It hasn’t been back since.

They added prerecorded audio spiel that recaps it before you pass through the room, but that’s all for now.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Rode this for the first time this morning.

With the MAJOR caveats that it's not a worthy replacement for The Great Movie Ride and that it should have been built in Animation Courtyard... I think it's a very fun, highly enjoyable attraction. The pacing and "story" are a little scattershot, but it's colorful and has enough "That's pretty neat!" moments to easily consider it a success.

More animatronics/figures wouldn't have hurt, though.

Last edited:
Rode this for the first time since Opening Week.

It has some cute effects and cool use of tech; but I honestly believe it's one of the worst rides Disney has put out. It doesn't help it replaces one of my favorite rides ever - so that's an extra demerit!
There was a "trackless" phase for a couple of years. I have not rode this yet, but from what I hear, the car mix-up actually justifies trackless here. True?

I think this one is honestly pretty great. Lots of fun animation, the projection mapping is incredibly bright and vivid, the queue theming is wonderful and really looks like the Disney Channel Mickey shorts with the 2D props and more stylized shading, plus the preshow with the screen tear trick and Employee interaction is a lot of fun even all this time later. There are also just so many fun and unique uses of the ride vehicle tech like the Dance Hall room or the seamless transition from The Smasher into the Picnic Park that I've never seen done before in a ride like this that I think are super well designed and implemented. It's got a ton of energy throughout the entire runtime and is a perfect family ride for the center of DHS imo.

TGMR had some high points, but especially for younger guests could be a bit of a slow and unfortunately boring experience, especially without the actors towards the end of it's life. I think Runaway Railway still shows off the unique style and purpose of DHS while being a ton of fun for everyone as well. "Nothing Can Stop Us Now" is also a bop.

The only thing holding it back is the animatronics, which... well, at least the Imagineers tried something new haha. These designs were not built for 3D at all, so the fact that they even exist is commendable.

Reactions: UNIrd and Jake S
Yes. The problem is if you're in the last car - you miss A LOT of the ride.
Adding to this, I went a while back with my mom who had to be in a wheelchair due to some knee issues she was having at the time. It was a relatively uncrowded visit so we rode it multiple times that week. However, with ADA they default to load you in the last car. It got to a point after the 2nd time we started to ask to be in any car but the last, since it was so obvious how much you are missing.

Rode this for the first time since Opening Week.

It has some cute effects and cool use of tech; but I honestly believe it's one of the worst rides Disney has put out. It doesn't help it replaces one of my favorite rides ever - so that's an extra demerit!
I’m worried this will be my reaction whenever I ride it. The music is great though and sets a good mood for a day in a Disney park at least.

On the plus side, went last weekend and the preshow was working for the first time ever for me. Adds a little something.

Not an all-timer for me, but a fine ride if the wait is 25 or under. At 50, disappointing.
I like and enjoy the ride, but the lines are too long for what it is. I greatly preferred the Great Movie Ride. That was more than just a ride, it was an experience. Generally, actual attractions are much better than the You Tube videos of the ride. That's why I pay little attention to the videos until I experience the attraction. In the rare case of Mickey and Minnie, the ride wasn't any better than the You Tube video, so I was a little disappointed when I rode it (5 times) over a vacation. So, on future vacations it'll probably be one and done. And yes, the car you're in has considerably different experiences. But, that's a good thing when it comes to repeat rides.

Reactions: belloq87
I honestly believe it's one of the worst rides Disney has put out.
Have you experienced WEB Slingers yet? Even if you're not thrilled with Runaway Railway*, it's on an exponentially higher level of craft and ambition than WEB Slingers is! :lol:

*I like it fine, especially at Disneyland, where there's no added pressure on it because of replacing a beloved attraction, and it's just one of about fifteen dark rides in the lineup.

Have you experienced WEB Slingers yet? Even if you're not thrilled with Runaway Railway*, it's on an exponentially higher level of craft and ambition than WEB Slingers is! :lol:

*I like it fine, especially at Disneyland, where there's no added pressure on it because of replacing a beloved attraction, and it's just one of about fifteen dark rides in the lineup.

I have not. :lol:

Fair point, though. DHS treats it like a headliner whereas DL feels ancillary.

I think the ride can find a reasonable spot in the park with 30-45 minute waits if Disney is aggressive enough to add a sizable amount of capacity and attractions to DHS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.