Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't see any way Sony could create a compelling subscription service that could rival what Microsoft has potentially just created. Even if they could create a decent lineup for their own subscription service, I think it is going to be complimentary to the Microsoft one. I think the endgame has to be either Xbox Game Pass on Playstation or still allowing purchases for the CoD's and other big names, but I would think Microsoft is going to make it more compelling for Sony customers to go the Game Pass route so they can offer VGaaS (Video Games as as Service).

This is essentially a similar concept as Simpsons and Marvel at Universal, let your competitor do all the lifting around marketing and having a place for something. MS will be making money hand over fist regardless of what happens. Can you imagine Sony not showing off the next CoD or whatever runs on their platform?

Guess people shouldn't have knocked Xbox so hard for not having any first party titles :rimshot:

I don't see any way Sony could create a compelling subscription service that could rival what Microsoft has potentially just created
I think it would have to be heavily dependent on Japanese titles and a back catalog of PS1 and PS2 titles.

Then again, you can just play PS2 games on your Xbox so ‍:shrug:.

Just insane in terms of monopolization. In terms of games and the overall ActiBliz situation, it might be for the best.? Kotick supposedly getting the boot and Spencer taking the wheel might be the exorcism the company needs. Hopefully some of the IP sees better utilization with stuff like Crash/Spyro/Skylanders and it'll be nice to see Kings Quest, Tony Hawk, CoD on Game Pass. Would love to see Toys for Bob return. Acti/Blizz Minecraft content is a guarantee. Microsoft has a crazy lineup of bought IPs between Rare, Bethesda, Mojang, Activision, Blizzard. I hope Sega doesn't happen but I feel like something like that is probably on the table for the future. It's weird to think that if Crash or Tracer had made it into Smash Ultimate, Microsoft would have 3 reps + Mii Costumes. And if they get Sega make it 6 fighters lmao.

Weird mixed bag of a situation. Definitely one of the biggest industry shakeups for a while and will definitely be a major influence on this coming generation of consoles.

Just like with Disney buying Fox, LESS things will be made overall, not more, when everything is under one umbrella.

Reactions: Tobias
Just like with Disney buying Fox, LESS things will be made overall, not more, when everything is under one umbrella.
I don't feel like I really argued that point? I do think some more cross promotion between Microsoft family franchises is likelier than it was, and some series even have new opportunities under this deal that they simply didn't before. ActiBliz on their own was never gonna touch Crash/Spyro again. Microsoft has been vocally looking for more Family franchises. It's nuanced. The output of ActiBliz content will change quite a bit, but I'm not exactly convinced that's a bad thing tbh.

The monopolization element is a dark cloud lurking above the rest of the deal. Everything below that is fairly complicated on whether it'll be good or not I think.

Kotick has basically put all of his eggs in CoD for consoles and also Candy Crush since those are his biggest money makers. He always had to show a profit for Wall Street.

In this specific instance, I see more getting made under ActivBlizz than in the last 10-15 years which has just mostly been annualized COD games. Under a large corporation like Microsoft, COD doesn’t need to come out once a year and be dog crap half the time.

Phil Spencer has also expressed previously an interest in reviving some of Microsoft’s dormant franchises (Psychonaughts 2 was the start of this) and I have no doubt we’ll see new Crash, Spyro, Skylanders, possibly Tony Hawk, etc. A new Perfect Dark is coming out this year I believe and that’s been dormant for about 15 years.

There may not be more per day from ActivBlizz, but first of all, when they’ve been putting out poop COD game one after another, I think it’s welcomed for that franchise at least. Spend more time making the campaigns actually good and making a fun multiplayer. People play these games for 2-3 years in some instances anyway, don’t rush games out (Example - Battlefield 2042 was so bad everyone just went back to BF5 and it has a higher player base than 2042).

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT
I missed this until now, but Sony's stock took a big hit from this.

You guys keep looking at the console wars but look at it from a PC gaming stand point. Microsoft ownership of ActivisionBlizzard with Overwatch, Starcraft, and WoW just gave them a huge East Asia/China advantage PC wise they didn't have before. That's the killing point which is why Sony stock got hit. Microsoft can now target areas in which they were lacking before way easier (China, Korea, Japan) with PC gaming.

Even in the console wars aspect, CoD moving to Xbox or not staying solely on PS will not effect as heavily as people make it out to be. CoD popularity is largely centralized in places where Xbox already is dominant console.

Lastly, Microsoft can't acquire Segasammy...the same reason why Disney now can't get Nintendo. In 2019, a law was passed limiting companies from acquiring japanese companies without having significant japanese based operations prior to the law being passed with a major focus on tech/telecom.

You guys keep looking at the console wars but look at it from a PC gaming stand point. Microsoft ownership of ActivisionBlizzard with Overwatch, Starcraft, and WoW just gave them a huge East Asia/China advantage PC wise they didn't have before. That's the killing point which is why Sony stock got hit. Microsoft can now target areas in which they were lacking before way easier (China, Korea, Japan) with PC gaming.

Even in the console wars aspect, CoD moving to Xbox or not staying solely on PS will not effect as heavily as people make it out to be. CoD popularity is largely centralized in places where Xbox already is dominant console.

Lastly, Microsoft can't acquire Segasammy...the same reason why Disney now can't get Nintendo. In 2019, a law was passed limiting companies from acquiring japanese companies without having significant japanese based operations prior to the law being passed with a major focus on tech/telecom.
You bring up some good points on the PC gaming part and as far as CoD goes, we only mention it because it's literally the most popular game on console. The top two selling games of 2021 were Vanguard and Black Ops Cold War. I do agree though that Call of Duty is within Xbox's current strengths though in being a FPS. Xbox has basically been known as the shooter-box most of it's existence, especially with some of it's only main home made big IPs being FPS in Halo and Gears of War. Dead Rising(and yes, I know Capcom made the original games) also is in a similar category for their exclusives as its a third-person zombie shooter. Add in from Bethesda Doom, Quake, and Rage and you get a LOT of shooters in their ecosystem.

IMO, State of Decay is the most unique (to Xbox) franchise since they don't have many third-person story focused games. That's all changed a lot with the Bethesda acquisition though.

Last edited:
I think it would have to be heavily dependent on Japanese titles and a back catalog of PS1 and PS2 titles.

Then again, you can just play PS2 games on your Xbox so ‍:shrug:.
I agree those could all be a big deal, but I don't think enough people care enough them these days.

Statement about Sony/Acquisition ramifications from Phil Spencer:

This is a very generic comment and he said something similar before Bethesda was finalized. It could mean any number of things. Most likely it either means that they just intend on continuing to put out Call of Duty on PS consoles for the existing agreements as he states. It could also mean that he genuinely wants to work something out with Playstation to keep COD on the console whether it be Warzone only (which is free to play anyway) and campaign's and along with other things be exclusive to Gamepass.

The way I hope this shakes out - and the way that would be best for gamers - is that once the contractual agreements run out and Phil sits down to talk about the future, I would like for him to basically play mafia boss and basically be like the following:

"We'd love to have Call of Duty on you platform. We really would. However, if you want it on your platform, the only way I can offer it is if you include the entirety of Gamepass to your players and pay us a third party fee for the games. We'll take Spartacus and make it available for our players as well and pay you a fee as well. You guys can now offer your players Xbox Exclusives like Halo, Call of Duty, Forza, Doom, Psychonaughts, Elder Scrolls, Gears, State of Decay, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, etc. Over on Xbox, we'll now be able to offer our players Playstation exclusives Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Deathloop, God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc."

"That's the only way forward we see a working relationship with Playstation."

In other news:
Lots of leaks coming out of Activision. I know they'll report to Spencer once everything is said and done, but he usually lets his studios run autonomously. Basically make content people will like is all he asks. With that said:

Last edited:
Moving away from the annual release and giving automonous freedom for studios like High Moon, Raven, Toys for Bob, and Vicarious might be the best thing to come out; purely because all of them have been stellar in giving great experiences when the freedom comes to them.

Them bringing up smaller IP like that right off the bat is really promising. I was hoping for as much, you don't spend $70 gadrillion dollars to keep running CoD into the ground and ignore everything else. That's a longterm purchase.

I see some online saying this isn’t really to block it just get some money before letting it happen

I still hoping it doesn’t happen. Xbox has more then enough studios and doesn’t need COD and could easily make a game similar but they want a cheat code their way to the end

It will probably go through and Gamepass people will be happy and I’ll just watch as the quality of the games keep getting worst

It will probably go through and Gamepass people will be happy and I’ll just watch as the quality of the games keep getting worst

To argue in this, would it? Could've sworn one of the principle reasons for the M&A since the start, was King and the mobile games developed under them and Activision/Blizzard, and how they'd fit into a hole that Microsoft actually does not have filled: Mobile Games.

Back to CoD, One of the big things that has been talked about, especially in regards to the future; is on the subject of accessibility and platforming with the deals in place. As it stands, Nintendo co-signed and agreed with both Microsoft and Activision/Blizzard on a 10 year deal beginning with the next CoD to ensure that particular franchise goes on whatever is Nintendo's platform (be that Switch, or the impending Switch 2). Additionally; measures have been placed to where if it would go through, that they'd honor all agreements currently made with Sony (like what was done with Bethesda for Deathloop and Ghost Wire [The former being a fantastic FPS title]).

If Microsoft is willing to go Mohjang on the biggest FPS franchise, why couldn't other franchises in that deal?

I'm not gonna pay this much heed yet since it seems like the only ones reporting on it are fan or tech sites and not actual business or legal ones.

I think if there's one thing we should take away from this it's that the justice department is no longer effing around when it comes to antitrust. WBD+NBCU wishcasting should be put on the backburner for now.

To argue in this, would it? Could've sworn one of the principle reasons for the M&A since the start, was King and the mobile games developed under them and Activision/Blizzard, and how they'd fit into a hole that Microsoft actually does not have filled: Mobile Games.

Back to CoD, One of the big things that has been talked about, especially in regards to the future; is on the subject of accessibility and platforming with the deals in place. As it stands, Nintendo co-signed and agreed with both Microsoft and Activision/Blizzard on a 10 year deal beginning with the next CoD to ensure that particular franchise goes on whatever is Nintendo's platform (be that Switch, or the impending Switch 2). Additionally; measures have been placed to where if it would go through, that they'd honor all agreements currently made with Sony (like what was done with Bethesda for Deathloop and Ghost Wire [The former being a fantastic FPS title]).

If Microsoft is willing to go Mohjang on the biggest FPS franchise, why couldn't other franchises in that deal?
Halo

Halo was one of the Biggest Ips ever and they let it die....they let Fable die...they let Rare Die

I'm tried of them buying up good IP's to just fill gamepass vs making games like Sony and Nintendo that are amazing. Microsoft can't make anything in gaming so they have to keep buying things and this doesn't make the industry better.

I'm just tired of huge companies buying everything.....you have the money make a new IP thats as good as COD, you can't then you shouldn't be making COD money

Reactions: rageofthegods