Military Member and First time to Orlando | Inside Universal Forums

Military Member and First time to Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 22, 2014
I am a military member of the USAF and believe it not have never been to Orlando for a vacation. I have been overseas serving in Germany, Afghanistan, Japan and Korea for the past 14 years; yes, I know it is hard to believe, but I haven't been back to America since 2000.

This is my first time stationed in America in a long time and I would like to take my 8 year old daughter to Orlando to visit everything we can possible see during my 11 day leave pass. I have never been to Orlando and would like to visit Universal Studios to see the new Harry Potter stuff, Despicable Me, Spider-man, and let's face it everything in both parks. Seeing that I have 11 days of leave, I would like to take my daughter to Disney World and Lego land as well. My newbie question is this and seeing I am on a limited budget.

Would it be better to spend the extra money to stay on a Universal Studios on site hotel for most of the time?

From what I read and don't quite understand: when you stay on a on site hotel you receive tickets to enter the park early and fast pass unlimited; does this also include tickets to enter the park as well?

I quite don't understand nor does the website explain.

Right now the on site hotel is quite expensive and wonder if it is worth it or not. I can stay at the Shades of Green on Disney World for $89 a night, but getting the fast pass unlimited to visit Universal Studios Park to Park for my daughter and I would run an extra $779 for only four days. If park tickets, unlimited fast past, early access to park entrance and hotel cost $2,300 for 11 days total; it would be better to visit Universal Studios for most of the time. I am sorry if this probably has been answered a million times, but I have been truly out of the loop for the past century.

I believe admission to the park is separate, but I could be wrong as there may be special deals that include tickets. Keep in mind Cabana Bay does not include express passes. When are you planning on coming, because if you plan to spend 4 days at the park, if you are coming off season you may not need to have express passes.

There are some military discounts for tickets if you didn't already know, be sure to ask about them!

Staying on-site allows you to enter the park early with your already purchase park admission ticket.

I would skip fast passes unless busy time of year,Just get there before open and head to busiest ride so you can knock it out.
Bring a Cooler with, Milk (for cereal)Lunch meat (for sandwiches) Bottled water or whatever you prefer to drink,Bring snacks,chips,bread ect.
at Universal Get the refillable Cup and refillable popcorn bucket . 1.00 refills are in my budget :)
You have a good amount of time just relax and do not stress about lines.Have a great time and your daughter will never forget it.
Take a shuttle over to save on parking (18.00 a day)Shades of Green will have schedule.

Shades of Green is super nice but unless you get a rental car, their transportation to Universal sucks (leaves Shades of Green later, leaves Universal rather early) Mears shuttle is slightly more expensive but you can leave earlier and hang out at Universal longer.

One note most military don't know is you can get into Universal with the Early Admission people if you ask the people working the gates nicely that you are military there on vacation. They will ask to see your ID. Worked for me every day, I went last time.

Shades of Green is great though for Disney. You are literally a 10 minute walk from the monorail at the Polynesian Hotel and can use Disney Transportation rather than waiting all the time for Shades of Green buses.

First off, thanks for your service!

I am not familiar with some of the packages that might be available (I am sure some include ticket packages). From what I had heard when Cabanna Bay was being built at UNI (now open) was that there nightly rate would drop the more days you stay.

They do not give you express (front of line), but you do get the early entry, plus you are a short bus ride from City Walk (and the parks). As others have mentioned, express might not be
that necessary dependent on the time of year you visit. Not sure if you are aware, but the main Harry Potter rides do not honor express anyway, so getting early entry alone will help you see those.

So you might want to consider CBBR if you plan a lot of days at UOR. Note, currently parking at CBBR is like $10 per night for resort guest if you end up renting a car...I think the deluxe resorts charge closer to $18 a night.

Military guests get in early as well; just show a military ID or a park ticket that says some sort of military affiliation (Air Force, Navy, etc), and present where we do "sorting", and we'll let you and your family in for early park admission.