Movie Locations in the Real World | Inside Universal Forums

Movie Locations in the Real World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

STL

Nov 1, 2012
St Louis, Mo
Here are some pics I took back in April of 2010 of several Jurassic Park filming locations. I had researched the locations about a year in advance. We didn't take any tours to get to the places, and some of them were really tough to get to. We rented 4 wheel drives to get to most places as it was definitely required to do so. I've done my best to screen capture frames from the movie to show you and you will see that some of the places may have changed quite a bit since being filmed.

I will start this off with the opening scene of the movie where the helicopter flies toward the island...

DSC07434.jpg

That part was filmed in the Garden of Eden located on the Hana Highway in Maui...

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This view is looking down toward the haystack rock...the copter would be flying towards us...
IMG_0691.jpg

Zoomed in...

IMG_0692.jpg

The valley that the copter flies through is way too narrow and shallow at this location so it was filmed elsewhere...

DSC07438.jpg

DSC07439.jpg

It was actually filmed off the Napali coast of Kauai...this view is taken from our boat...

IMG_0555-1_zps5417bf9a.jpg

(for scaling purposes...see the "white post or stick" on the beach in the lower right of the pic? That is 20 feet tall)

IMG_0546-1_zps5c2f50a8.jpg

The next scenes I have are at the amber mine...

DSC07415.jpg

DSC07432.jpg

This site was really tough to get to. I ended up hiking two miles down stream of a "popular tourist" waterfall on Kauai to find where this film was shot. When they filmed this scene all the equipment was brought up river to this point. I was unable to maneuver myself down to the bottom of the falls to get the authentic shots I wanted but you get the idea. I actually would have tried to get down there but I was alone and no one knew I was there in case something would have happened.:look:

From atop the falls looking towards where they pull the raft up...

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

The best angle I could get of the other scene...

IMG_0373.jpg

I was able to find a postcard of the site, though...

IMG_1891.jpg

I have more I will post a little later....hope you enjoy! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Octobers Fade
The scene where Dennis is having the meeting and given the shaving cream can was filmed about 200 yards from our Condo in Kapaa, Kauai...

DSC07416.jpg

DSC07417.jpg

And no, it was not filmed in Costa Rica as stated on the screen cap. The orginal building in that scene has been torn down and they have replaced it with a furniture store.

IMG_0580.jpg

Very cool. A+!
Probably belongs in the photography section though, and could be relabled Way Cool Movie Locations (or something else) so everyone can participate if they have some other location pics. Just saying, otherwise it could just slink on down the list never to be seen again....

Very cool. A+!
Probably belongs in the photography section though, and could be relabled Way Cool Movie Locations (or something else) so everyone can participate if they have some other location pics. Just saying, otherwise it could just slink on down the list never to be seen again....

Thanks, OF! I have no idea how to get it moved over there and renamed:shrug: I totally agree with you though. I think some of the JP fans would like to see this. Any idea how I can get that done?? I am new here so am sorta lost.

I will hold off posting the rest until I can get it moved.

OK, if you insist, OF:cheers:

This capture is during the hurricane that hits the island. This was in Nawiliwili Bay. Spielberg and his crew got caught in a tropical storm during filming and actually captured this scene from the roof of their hotel...

DSC07443.jpg

Here it is under normal conditions....which still appear quite rough to me...

IMG_0503-1.jpg

The "Welcome to Jurassic Park" scene was filmed on the Kahili Ranch on Kauai...

wecomeJP_zps0708b65a.jpg

Unfortunately, we were unable to get very far back in there before we were spotted and "asked to leave before authorities were called" :look: Our plan was to head back to the base of the moutains you see in the backround but it was not to be. *sigh* We at least tried!

IMG_0635.jpg

Those gates pushed open :sneaky:

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the quality of the screen captures here but I think you will recognize the scene where Dr Grant finds the hatched Raptor eggs at the base of the trees they slept in overnight...

DSC07444.jpg

DSC07445.jpg

DSC07447.jpg

That scene was filmed at the National Tropical Botanical Garden located in Kalaheo, Kauai. I'm pretty sure you will recognize these trees...

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

This is me doing my best to recreate the finding the raptor eggs :shifty:

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Awesome pictures, STL! I want to get out to Hawaii and see some of those same locales!

OK, I am going to try to wrap this up so I can head out for a group Happy Hour. I think it's pretty obvious I haven't got a lot done at work today.:thumbs: This is probably what you have been waiting for and I won't disappoint. Well....you may be disappointed that is doesn't look like it did during the movie but they were forced to tear "almost" everything down after filming. You may recall it looking something like this....

DSC07440.jpg

DSC07441.jpg

I apologize for leaving you hanging but I have to bolt out of work. The wind is blowing 50 mph and it's snowing. I need to make sure I make it to the bar safely!! :p I will make sure to finish this up tonight.

Last edited:
OK, I am going to try to wrap this up so I can head out for a group Happy Hour. I think it's pretty obvious I haven't got a lot done at work today.:thumbs: This is probably what you have been waiting for and I won't disappoint. Well....you may be disappointed that is doesn't look like it did during the movie but they were forced to tear "almost" everything down after filming. You may recall it looking something like this....

I apologize for leaving you hanging but I have to bolt out of work. The wind is blowing 50 mph and it's snowing. I need to make sure I make it to the bar safely!! :p I will make sure to finish this up tonight.

How dare you leave us hanging! Hurry back :p

Sooooo.....anyway, back to finish this up. Here is a little back story about this journey to get to the "gate". It is located 12 miles off the main highway out of Kapaa, Kauai in the Lihue-Koloa Forest Reserve.

jpgate1_zps9a18486c.jpg

Approximately 3 of those miles are a "paved" 2 lane highway and the rest consists of mud, gravel, more mud, rocks, gravel, mud, etc....you get the point. It can't be done in a rental car, so don't even think about it. We passed several cars in our 4WD that just couldn't make it any farther, and even some of those in comparable vehicles had to pull over...not us. We even passed tour vans that people had paid hundreds of dollars to take this trek. Pfffft....suckers. It was a painful journey, though....but I had to get there, no matter what. It took us over 3 hours of driving to go that 12 miles...these pictures don't do it justice but I will share a few on the way...

One of the locals we met on our trip told us that they had also filmed the T-Rex jeep chase scene on the same road to the gate. I can't verify that but I could picture it happening about here...

IMG_0266.jpg

And on we go...

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Looks like "Raptor grass" to me!

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

What? Why are people out of their vehicles? Oh yes, we will pass you....

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Uh, oh....3+ hours into this and here we come....

IMG_0197.jpg

Closer...

IMG_0199.jpg

Touchdown! Welcome to the only remains of the original JP gates. Yes, only these steel support beams are left of the iconic gates of JP. There are several signatures engraved in the steel left behind by the filmcrew. I found it appropriate to sport my Universal Studios tshirt that I had picked up at the park on a previoius visit:thumbs:

IMG_0248.jpg