Muslim Woman Sues Disney Over Right To Wear Hijab | Inside Universal Forums

Muslim Woman Sues Disney Over Right To Wear Hijab

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 16, 2009
30 Rock
Deadline is reporting that a former employee, with the help of the ACLU, has filed a lawsuit against the Walt Disney Company.

Muslim Woman Sues Disney Over Right To Wear Hijab

ibrJ8MhPrEzrY0.jpg

The American Civil Liberties Union today sued the Walt Disney Company for discrimination on behalf of a Muslim former Disneyland employee. The ACLU says that Imane Boudlal was fired in 2010 from her job at the theme park for wearing the hijab headscarf at work. The organization, with law firm Hadsell Stormer Richardson & Renick, filed the federal lawsuit today. In a 28-page complaint (read it here), the ACLU went after the Walt Disney Corporation on seven counts including discrimination and harassment in employment, and failure to remedy discrimination and harassment. The ACLU and Boudlal are asking for a jury trial as the plaintiff seeks applicable statutory, actual and punitive damages under each course of action as well as her legal fees. In the complaint, the ACLU is also requesting that the court order that all “Disney employees, supervisors, and managers regarding harassment and discrimination.” Ms. Boudlal says that besides the issues of the hijab, in beginning in the summer of 2008 she became the subject of insults based on her religion, national origin and skin color by fellow Disney workers and supervisors. Boudlal said today that she was called a “terrorist,” a “camel” and a “bitch” by supervisors and co-worker as well as repeatedly subjected to comments about Arabs being bombmakers and terrorists. “When she reported these attacks to her Disney managers, she was told that she had to put up with them, told that Disney knew there was a problem, but that the solution was the directive from her bosses that she needed to stop complaining”, said ACLU chief counsel Mark Rosenbaum today. ”Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has a long history of accommodating a variety of religious requests from cast members of all faiths. However, because we have not seen the lawsuit, we cannot comment specifically about this situation at this time”, Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said in a statement.

After two years working at Disneyland, the Moroccan-born Boudlal, then a hostess at the resort’s Storyteller Café, informed the company in August 2010 that she was going to wear the religious headdress for observance of Ramadan. Boudlal said at the time that she learned of her right to wear the hijab as she was completing her successful U.S. citizenship exams. With no response from Disney, except to say according to Boudlal that they would get back to her, the employee showed up for work on August 15, 2010 wearing her hijab. Boudlal says the company, who has very strict uniform and appearance polices, told her that day she would have to either remove the religious garb, wear a hat Disney provided or work where the public couldn’t see her. “My managers refused to permit me to wear a hijab even after I pointed out the manner by which other employees dressed and looked,” said Boudlal today. Declining those options Boudlal was turned away from work four times that week and on August 18 filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Boudlal says she even offered to wear a hijab with the Disney logo on it as a compromise but was rebuffed by her managers.” This is the most egregious case of religious harassment I have ever seen. At Disney, animated characters have more civil rights than the people who work there”, said lawyer Anne Richardson, who is representing Boudlal personally. “Through this lawsuit we seek to permanently enjoin Disney from requiring its Muslim employees to hide their faith and to abide by both federal and state laws on harassment and hostile work environment”, she added. Boudlal has not worked at Disneyland since August 21, 2010. On August 8, 2012, Boudlal and her lawyers got a notice of right to sue from the Commission, a source tells Deadline. This notice prompted moving forward with today’s lawsuit. “Had Imane been Princess Jasmine, a cartoon Muslim, Disney would not only have permitted her to wear a hijab, but also exploited it in the film Aladdin on the way to grossing over 200 million on revenues. But Disney’s tolerance of religious practices of Muslim women does not extend to real life women. Imane would have been acceptable to Disney only were she an animated character,” added Rosenbaum. “This is not Mickey Mouse bigotry, it is cold and calculating religious intolerence unacceptable according to our laws and most cherished values,” he also noted. This is not the first time Disney has been sued over the hijab. In 2004, a Disneyworld employee who also wanted to wear her hijab at work sued the company. That employee said she had been let go from her job in Orlando, Fla. after refusing Disney’s offer to work behind the scenes. The employee and the company eventually settled out of court. The employee did not return to work at Disney.

Disney issued a statement in regards to Imane Boudlal's claims:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has a history of accommodating religious requests from cast members of all faiths. We presented Ms. Boudlal with multiple options to accommodate her religious beliefs, as well as offered her several roles that would have allowed her to wear her own hijab. Unfortunately, she rejected all of our efforts and has since refused to come to work. – Suzi Brown, Director, Media Relations and External Communication, Disneyland Resorts.

On this kind of thing, it's hard to know without specifics, like testimony from people involved, what really happened here. It really shouldn't get to this point.

This is one of those gray lines. On one side, you can't deny a person's rights. Denying religious freedom is unethical, not to mention illegal. However, as previously stated, you can't really know the true situation without specific details and further information. This could merely be a case of bad communication and ignorance, or it could be a true act of discrimination.

I remember hearing about this case a while back. As I recall there was actually art shown of a custom new costume option created to accomodate the hijab - and she (the Muslim woman) rejected it.They also gave her several roles to move to backstage... which she also rejected. She was opposed to being "behind the scenes" because she appeared to find that work derogatory somehow. There was a quote from her that was something to the tune of "They kept wanting to hide me" or something like that. If they're offering to transfer her to another position with equal or greater pay, I don't see how this is even a case... but people can sue over anything. Trying to force Aladdin into the argument, which couldn't have been vaguer about its religious affiliations, just made them look silly.

I also don't recall reading about any of this racial insult stuff the first time she complained. Could she have "remembered" these insults to bolster her case later on?

Costume guidelines are what they are regardless of religion. The guidelines were most likely laid out for her in orientation before she even started working so she should have known from the get go. They even tried to accommodate her with multiple other options. This is someone looking to make a quick buck.

Then there's those picture from Aladdin. Do they expect that to help? Personally I laughed when I saw that in the picture.

Oh please. In a place like Disney where they pride themselves so much on theme, it makes total sense that they wouldn't want her to wear it, like it or not it may harm theming. They were reasonable in presenting other options, although it does make sense that she wouldn't like them, I can understand her being offended.

Who knows what happened, if Disney was willing to accommodate her by putting her in different roles then fair enough if they weren't then well that sucks i guess.

I felt bad for her until I saw that picture of Jasmine... Then I couldn't help but laugh. If they provided her with other options of equal or higher pay and she refused, then I don't even see how this is a case.

I think the ACLU has done some wonderful things for various causes through the years but this is a dead end street. Are we going to see lawsuits against casting agencies for demanding that someone wears a cowboy hat in a western next? If you want to play a role then you have to wear the costume created for it.

They are called "Cast Members" for a reason. ALL on stage roles (jobs) resort wide require costumes and religious head gear is "out of costume".

Maybe she could have been "transferred" to be an extra in Aladdin: The Musical. Or maybe a chaperone at Aladdin's Oasis Meet and Greet in Adventureland.

This is like me (50 year old fat hairy guy) sueing for discrimination because I didn't get the role of Annie in Little Orphan Annie. Even though I can give a spectacular rendition of "Tomorrow".

DH we'd love to see you in a read wig, red dress, and singing your version of Tomorrow, post it to youtube immediately :lol:

Sorry, I only wear a dress on Fri./Sat. nights. And my wig is NOT red. But to tide you over here is a little video that is a personal fav:

[video=youtube;f4Mc-NYPHaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Oh please. In a place like Disney where they pride themselves so much on theme, it makes total sense that they wouldn't want her to wear it, like it or not it may harm theming. They were reasonable in presenting other options, although it does make sense that she wouldn't like them, I can understand her being offended.

Just want to make sure, themeing is more important than personal liberty and the free exercise of religious identity? While I personally don't think she has a legal leg to stand on (as Disney provided her equivalent, alternative work assignments where they would allow her to where her hijab and she was aware of grooming standards when she was hired), still the fact they risked a discrimination lawsuit for the sake of themeing and a homogeneous product is pretty silly. I mean, they wanted her to cover up her head covering.

I wouldn't look at a head covering any differently than the rest of the uniform, and is certainly no more distracting from themeing than the Disneyland name tag, eyeglasses or sneakers cast members wear. The fedora they wanted her to wear was ridiculous, and certainly did nothing for the themeing.

Universal, I'd like to point out, allows their Muslim employees to wear hijabs, and the themeing and business doesn't suffer. Then again, we are talking about Disney (who took >50 years to soften their stance on facial hair).

Say what you want about the case... but the attacks on the ACLU I find a little hard to swallow. In my hometown of Newman, CA, a book was going to be banned from the high school curriculum. Know why? Because it offended some of the Catholics (I myself am Catholic) in the town because of it's perceived "anti-Catholic" themes. It eventually was removed from the curriculum by the school board, despite the best efforts of our teachers and myself and a group of passionate community members. Guess who was one of our fervent defenders, offering legal advice and support? The ACLU.

Just want to make sure, themeing is more important than personal liberty and the free exercise of religious identity? While I personally don't think she has a legal leg to stand on (as Disney provided her equivalent, alternative work assignments where they would allow her to where her hijab and she was aware of grooming standards when she was hired), still the fact they risked a discrimination lawsuit for the sake of themeing and a homogeneous product is pretty silly. I mean, they wanted her to cover up her head covering.

I wouldn't look at a head covering any differently than the rest of the uniform, and is certainly no more distracting from themeing than the Disneyland name tag, eyeglasses or sneakers cast members wear. The fedora they wanted her to wear was ridiculous, and certainly did nothing for the themeing.

Universal, I'd like to point out, allows their Muslim employees to wear hijabs, and the themeing and business doesn't suffer. Then again, we are talking about Disney (who took >50 years to soften their stance on facial hair).

Didn't mean to offend, I probably shouldn't post at 2 am anymore. What I was trying to say is that it makes sense that Disney would do this. Disney is obsessed with theme, and it makes sense that they would act this way. She knew the costume guidelines, it shouldn't have surprised her. It's not like they told her to take it off, they merely presented her with other options that would allow theme to be preserved even when she wore the hijab. They were reasonable about it. You, my friend, are overreacting just a bit.

Say what you want about the case... but the attacks on the ACLU I find a little hard to swallow. In my hometown of Newman, CA, a book was going to be banned from the high school curriculum. Know why? Because it offended some of the Catholics (I myself am Catholic) in the town because of it's perceived "anti-Catholic" themes. It eventually was removed from the curriculum by the school board, despite the best efforts of our teachers and myself and a group of passionate community members. Guess who was one of our fervent defenders, offering legal advice and support? The ACLU.

I think the ACLU has done many, many great things. However, I also believe it has become the vehicle for many frivolous debates and controversies. It's done many great things, but its often the negative that gets the most attention unfortunately.