New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^those are good points. That sucks too, because an Amity-themed waterpark area would be awesome.
Oh my god wouldn't it? I would love something amity in universal in someway because that theming was incredible. Possibly a amity hotel or a thing in the 4th park? I wasn't to big on the jaws ride, skippers usually ruined it for me but man did that whole area look amazing

What I realized with kids is that when they have something scary in their minds they can't get it out. You'll hear kids say all the time on its a small world "does this have a drop?" They only remember that because they went on pirates prior and become weary of any boat ride because it might have a drop. Same with little kids and the Bloody Mary legend, you think about it and it just won't go away. What's stopping a kid from getting off the jaws ride and then not wanting to go on anything water related because the shark will pop up? It's the same thing as alien encounter and the timekeeper, one scary ride will prevent other kids from going on the ride next door even though the timekeeper is about as scary as the wait times for storm force (burn)

That just reminded me of something... Back in 2011 I had some friends who came over and they were staying at the Royal Pacific. Well, during their visit to USF, they went on the JAWS ride with their kids, and long story short, their little girl was so scared/scarred that they could not use the water taxis to the Royal Pacific for the remainder of their stay as she'd freak whenever she'd get on the water taxi boats, thinking the shark was gonna come out and scare her.

^those are good points. That sucks too, because an Amity-themed waterpark area would be awesome.

Yup... Now, wouldn't it be neat if they dedicated a section of the park to the "scary" IPs like JAWS and the Universal Monsters? Creature of the Black Lagoon, anyone? Any of the monsters, really. I've been wanting a horror theme attraction for a long time, so I will admit to being biased on that...
:mummy:
Having a separate "scary" section would help guarantee that the impressionable and the chickens stayed away before they got on any of the rides and avoid spoiling their day. So, only those who'd wanna brave it would enter this area at all.

That just reminded me of something... Back in 2011 I had some friends who came over and they were staying at the Royal Pacific. Well, during their visit to USF, they went on the JAWS ride with their kids, and long story short, their little girl was so scared/scarred that they could not use the water taxis to the Royal Pacific for the remainder of their stay as she'd freak whenever she'd get on the water taxi boats, thinking the shark was gonna come out and scare her.

Yup... Now, wouldn't it be neat if they dedicated a section of the park to the "scary" IPs like JAWS and the Universal Monsters? Creature of the Black Lagoon, anyone? Any of the monsters, really. I've been wanting a horror theme attraction for a long time, so I will admit to being biased on that...
:mummy:
Having a separate "scary" section would help guarantee that the impressionable and the chickens stayed away before they got on any of the rides and avoid spoiling their day. So, only those who'd wanna brave it would enter this area at all.

That's hilarious, I'd probably be the same way if I knew about the water taxis at that age (first time at a universal hotel was hard rock last year for the transformers grand opening) I really do agree, there are some scary attractions still around like mummy, tower of terror and HM but the scary atmosphere ride is slowly fading away. Gone were the alien encounters and scary adventures and into seven dwarfs and stitch. It's a dying art form and I really do want another scary ride for the 4th gate that'll send chills down your spine. A whole area would be kinda overkill, you'd have to make it a cauvasack if you want a optional land and that's a pain in the ass. Maybe scattered throughout with heavy warnings like alien encounter did (god I miss that ride so fricken much)

What do you mean by something original? Every water park is based on original IPs :lol:

I'd say a perfect water park would be -
1. Minion Beach
2. Bikini Bottom
3. Delfino Plaza (yes... Nintendo and Universal must happen :p)
4. Lake Town (maybe as a link between this and the 4th gate?)
5. a new Lost Continent/Atlantis area? (if they decide to use the IOA one for Wonka, HP Phase 3, or more Seuss)
6. Amity Village
7. completely original area devised by Universal Creative

I'm expecting 50% water slides, 40% water rides (log flume, river rapids, water coaster, POTC-style boat ride, etc), with a few flat rides thrown in as what has been alluded to earlier. They might even reuse the Nuthouse Coaster that's supposed to be removed from KidZone. It'd be a compact dry ride for those who want a break.

^ This sounds perfect...Wouldn't mind seeing a Florida themed area either...for some reason I would love to see a hurricane themed attraction

Couldn't they incorporate Jaws with a sort of racing attraction him in one lane the swimmer in another different settings for kids you now how competitive people are

What do you mean by something original? Every water park is based on original IPs :lol:

I'd say a perfect water park would be -
1. Minion Beach
2. Bikini Bottom
3. Delfino Plaza (yes... Nintendo and Universal must happen :p)
4. Lake Town (maybe as a link between this and the 4th gate?)
5. a new Lost Continent/Atlantis area? (if they decide to use the IOA one for Wonka, HP Phase 3, or more Seuss)
6. Amity Village
7. completely original area devised by Universal Creative

I'm expecting 50% water slides, 40% water rides (log flume, river rapids, water coaster, POTC-style boat ride, etc), with a few flat rides thrown in as what has been alluded to earlier. They might even reuse the Nuthouse Coaster that's supposed to be removed from KidZone. It'd be a compact dry ride for those who want a break.
By original ideas I meant something like #7. I like your ideas and I would kill for delphino, sunshine is definitely one of my favorite games and plaza has always been a place I've wanted to visit but then again Nintendo is really strict so I doubt it'll happen (how dare they not allow smash streaming for breast cancer?) but yeah if lost continent is demo'd it's gotta go to the watermark. They should just theme the entire place to the lost continent. "The lost continent water park and resort" with themed lands

The reason I included those videos a page ago is because one of them was an inherently scary ride (the dragon video) and yet that ride gets massive lines. I think, depending on execution, a Jaws or scary themed water slide COULD work.
The second video had AA's on a lazy river which is imperative for Universal.

Sorry to derail the armchair theme park design, but I don't know that the rate of return on any water park justifies a huge outlay in $$ for R&D or IP rights. Even the WDW water parks have pretty shockingly low attendance rates compared to the real parks.

Honestly, I'd be happy with something on a par with Blizzard Beach or Aquatica. Guests go to a water park for slides, a wave pool and a lounge chair--while, say, Minion Beach would be a fun addition, I don't think a mix of four or five additional IPs is going to move the needle on attendance all that much. A "Wondersea Island" theme--whatever that is--would work just as well.

And The Black Lake? I'd pity the poor lifeguards forced to wear JK Rowling-approved costumes.

Sorry to derail the armchair theme park design, but I don't know that the rate of return on any water park justifies a huge outlay in $$ for R&D or IP rights. Even the WDW water parks have pretty shockingly low attendance rates compared to the real parks.

Honestly, I'd be happy with something on a par with Blizzard Beach or Aquatica. Guests go to a water park for slides, a wave pool and a lounge chair--while, say, Minion Beach would be a fun addition, I don't think a mix of four or five additional IPs is going to move the needle on attendance all that much. A "Wondersea Island" theme--whatever that is--would work just as well.

And The Black Lake? I'd pity the poor lifeguards forced to wear JK Rowling-approved costumes.

Yea, there's no way they're going to build an IP-heavy theme park.

Yeah, but UC wouldnt be happy with something on par with BB or Aquatica. They are going for game-changers, not trying to be on par with Disney

You do that with attractions and theming in a water park, not IPs.

I can guarantee you that they are thinking very very big! I was somewhat shocked. That said, just how big depends on budget approval and I have no idea where that stands at this point. It is all very happening.

I can guarantee you that they are thinking very very big! I was somewhat shocked. That said, just how big depends on budget approval and I have no idea where that stands at this point. It is all very happening.

How far are they into planning and by what time can we expect a decision and when would construction begin?

The reason I included those videos a page ago is because one of them was an inherently scary ride (the dragon video) and yet that ride gets massive lines. I think, depending on execution, a Jaws or scary themed water slide COULD work.
The second video had AA's on a lazy river which is imperative for Universal.

I never thought of a water slide, maybe you can ride into Bruce's mouth? That would be cool and we all know universal has a insane fetish of going into a mouth...and stilt walkers. I still think the JP lazy river should be a possibility. Just imagine that for a second, swimming through with dinosaurs around you then going into a facility with a Tiffany? That would be bonkers

I never thought of a water slide, maybe you can ride into Bruce's mouth? That would be cool and we all know universal has a insane fetish of going into a mouth...and stilt walkers. I still think the JP lazy river should be a possibility. Just imagine that for a second, swimming through with dinosaurs around you then going into a facility with a Tiffany? That would be bonkers

Heh heh, going into a mouth.
To add to things they love, they also like a good projection effect which that sort of ride would have.
There are some very exciting things happening in waterparks right now, look at Wildebeest at Holiday world which uses LIMs to make the raft go uphill or the use of AAs and projection effects at Schlitterbahn. Given the Universal cash flow, I could see a lineup of impressive waterslides.

Yeah, but UC wouldnt be happy with something on par with BB or Aquatica. They are going for game-changers, not trying to be on par with Disney

Yes they would--those are considered some of the best waterparks out there. Like its been said, waterparks arent very attendance-heavy. There comes a point where youre spending too much for too little returns.

Yes they would--those are considered some of the best waterparks out there. Like its been said, waterparks arent very attendance-heavy. There comes a point where youre spending too much for too little returns.

Only from all accounts, Universal isn't looking to build a standard water park. Everyone keeps hinting that this will be a gamechanger

Heh heh, going into a mouth.
To add to things they love, they also like a good projection effect which that sort of ride would have.
There are some very exciting things happening in waterparks right now, look at Wildebeest at Holiday world which uses LIMs to make the raft go uphill or the use of AAs and projection effects at Schlitterbahn. Given the Universal cash flow, I could see a lineup of impressive waterslides.
Here's a fun game, name every single ride where you go through something's mouth at universal, creative has a giant fetish. Yeah totally water parks are becoming cooler and cooler to go to now, I'm not a waterpark guy myself, waiting in insanely long lines, shirtless for a slide isn't my favorite thing in the world. If universal delivers on this ill definitely be a fan. Hopefully they find a way to increase capacity on slides and add tons of AAs and effects to make it compare to the parks. I'm too excited for this and if they open it before Disney springs or avatar land. Damn sucka

Status
Not open for further replies.