Official MLB Discussion Thread: Season Starts July 23rd | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Official MLB Discussion Thread: Season Starts July 23rd

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Considering the Marlins VOTED IF THEY WANTED TO PLAY LAST NIGHT AFTER POSITIVE TESTS show every word in this sentence is a lie. Every. Single. One.
There shouldn't have even been a vote, this is something that should just be in the restart rules. If and outbreak happens (3 or more people), game should be automatically canceled and the team needs to quarantine - seems pretty obvious.

Since an outbreak is not covered in the 113-page restart packet, Rob Manfried should've swooped in and canceled the game himself, not leave it up to an f'ing team vote. This is just a mess all around. And I mean, pulling a team from play this season shouldn't be out of the question either. The MLS did so with two teams to secure their bubble. MLB is just acting foolish all around though.

The truly responsible thing to do would be to say "we've had an outbreak and for the safety of our players, we're canceling the season". If this happened to a team like the Yankees or Dodgers, it would be devastating for the league and unfortunately, they'll probably wait until an outbreak happens on a more competitive team for them to take this seriously. I do wonder how players will respond to this though. Could we see a strike?

Reactions: Tbad556
Kinda feels like the whole season is riding on these tests:

Especially considering:

Yup. And roughly half of the Marlins 25-man roster has contracted the virus. Who knows how long they'll have to be out, especially if they just got the virus. For some people, they could be back fairly quickly, but for others, you could be looking at weeks of some players being out with this virus before they can successfully get two straight negative results.

If this really is starting to rapidly spread around the league, they have really have little choice but to shut it down immediately. At least shut it down for a few weeks. Maybe try and give players time to recover and then test players again afterwards to make sure they are all negative and no one is spreading. But being outside of a bubble, these players are interacting with other people that could have it and aren't being tested, which is the main problem.

Yup. And roughly half of the Marlins 25-man roster has contracted the virus. Who knows how long they'll have to be out, especially if they just got the virus. For some people, they could be back fairly quickly, but for others, you could be looking at weeks of some players being out with this virus before they can successfully get two straight negative results.

If this really is starting to rapidly spread around the league, they have really have little choice but to shut it down immediately. At least shut it down for a few weeks. Maybe try and give players time to recover and then test players again afterwards to make sure they are all negative and no one is spreading. But being outside of a bubble, these players are interacting with other people that could have it and aren't being tested, which is the main problem.

Super excited for them to hem and haw over it for 24 hours, letting more players, coaches, and staff become exposed, then news gets leaked that like half the Brewers tested positive or something.

Reactions: Nick and Tbad556
It's impressive how fast this keeps looking dumber and dumber on the MLB's behalf. How do you have literally no plans in place for an inevitable situation?

With all of the resources at their expense, it looks like the MLB will still only make it a week or two.
I’m sure our school districts will figure it out though. :whiteflag:

MLB has lost me forever. What horrible job, like really. No bubble, traveling, no masks, traveling to and from homes, like what on earth did the MLB expect? A miracle?

At least the greedy owners and commissioners in other leagues took the time to actually plan something that could work, this was just lazy. Never been a fan of Price, but his tweets I saw on Reddit are just spot on for today. Player safety was like not even regarded with any of this.

To my knowledge, the Red Sox and Mets were gonna SPLIT a 4 game series between Queens and Boston. Like, WHY?? Stay in the same place!

It’s being proven that player safety was just quite literally not at ALL in the mind of the owners when deciding this. The BS “vote if you wanna play” proves this even more. Someone’s gonna die because of this mess they’ve created, they should feel totally ashamed of themselves. Disgusting and repulsive, like, they didn’t even TRY!!!

MLB has lost me forever. What horrible job, like really. No bubble, traveling, no masks, traveling to and from homes, like what on earth did the MLB expect? A miracle?

At least the greedy owners and commissioners in other leagues took the time to actually plan something that could work, this was just lazy. Never been a fan of Price, but his tweets I saw on Reddit are just spot on for today. Player safety was like not even regarded with any of this.

To my knowledge, the Red Sox and Mets were gonna SPLIT a 4 game series between Queens and Boston. Like, WHY?? Stay in the same place!

It’s being proven that player safety was just quite literally not at ALL in the mind of the owners when deciding this. The BS “vote if you wanna play” proves this even more. Someone’s gonna die because of this mess they’ve created, they should feel totally ashamed of themselves. Disgusting and repulsive, like, they didn’t even TRY!!!
The sad part is they had 4 months to figure this out and this is what they fooled themselves into thinking would work. Hopefully this makes the NFL change their mindset of traveling around and playing games in the normal stadiums but without fans. That's not enough since everyone is in so much contact with the outside world. Also, MLB and NFL have the largest rosters in sports, so that only compounds the issue.

This is also proof positive that the bubble model works as the NBA, UFC, MLS, WNBA have shown (along with many other smaller leagues like NWSL, NLL, TBT tournament, etc). Playing as if the world is normal and traveling around the country is not going to work. This a major warning sign for all sports even considering playing outside of a bubble.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Meanwhile, the MLS bubble has gone 2 weeks with no positive cases...
And I believe the NBA bubble has roughly done the same. The only positive cases reported in the NBA have been players that hadn't already entered the bubble (and they caught a few positives 3, i think) when the players were under their initial quarantine, so they never even were able to spread.

The NHL also just reported 0 positives in their Phase 3 of return to play.

Whatever team is left standing, covid free, at the end of September. ;)
I posted this comment on who would win the series, basically as a sarcastic joke at the beginning of this thread (note the image). Unfortunately, it's starting to look like it might play out that way. A shame since I was really beginning to enjoy the
relief from covid exhaustion that the beginning of the season was providing. I hope MLB gets their act together, and this scenario doesn't play out. :ugh:

They apparently have no intentions to shutdown.
So, are they just waiting for more teams to be decemated by the virus?

They apparently have no intentions to shutdown.
So, are they just waiting for more teams to be decemated by the virus?
The teams have 60-man expanded rosters to fill spots of any COVID positive players, but I mean, we're talking about 6 teams that have been affected by this already.

Unfortunately, the Marlins weren't expected to be good this year and the fact that they're a florida team allows other owners to simply blame the outbreak on the fact that they are a team in a hotspot. If this were a team like the Yankees or Dodgers that this happened too, the league would've take immediate action as they are expected to contend for a title.

By not taking this as seriously as they should, there will be more outbreaks. I really think another outbreak is probably inevitable because these players are out in the real world, flying across the country and visitors are using communal locker rooms, shared by all other teams in the league that play there. This is one of those things that is obvious, but it seems like they are all wearing rose-colored glasses and looking at the situation like it's fine.

giphy.gif

There really needs to be testing of these players daily with next day turnaround. Every other day won’t cut it, especially with next day travel plans and games the following night.

But....daily testing is also a bad look considering the amount of people struggling to still get tested in society....

The biggest lol at that last tweet. The Marlins just lost 12 WHOLE PEOPLE. :lol:

Manfred right now:

tenor.gif

Roger Goodell is having a good day... he's no longer the worst commissioner in sports.

The biggest lol at that last tweet. The Marlins just lost 12 WHOLE PEOPLE. :lol:
Yup. I don't know what actually has to happen for him to think this is a big f'ing deal if the Marlins losing half of their roster doesn't make them "non-competitive".

• Haha

With so many players that had COVID on Miami, it's pretty likely that at least a few were on the field on Sunday against the Phillies. Hopefully it didn't spread, but it very well could have. I think we're still awaiting test results from the Phillies which could be why they canceled tonight's game. Either that or they got the results back and they weren't good.

Meanwhile, the Marlins are scheduled to play tomorrow still.