"Old School" Universal Orlando | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

"Old School" Universal Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Theme Park Buzz has a great article about Uni's past that includes some great construction photos: http://themeparksbuzz.blogspot.com/2012/03/universal-studios-florida-pictures.html

ibxlFLltvL9D5l.png

iq1ksmkhKkeGI.png

izbKH8hazhpnK.png

iXZ1fEvAFW0gU.png

i6YJKqyBwb3wb.png

That construction project was insane, I remember parking on the flat lot in front of Nick Studios one year and then coming back to a garage. With numerous moving walkways and a hike like none other.

Those are some great pictures! I never made it to the park during those times. Went to Universal a few times after it first opened then next time I'd be back is when IoA opened.

Long ago I remember parking in the garage, walking through the hub, and exiting to the right where you would normally go to valet parking today and walking inbetween construction fences with CW being built on the left and Hard Rock going up on the right. Then you factor in all the work going on to the Studios entrance. It was pretty crazy back then but it was amazing to watch being built.

All I remember is visiting before all of that construction happened, I remember eating at the old Hard Rock and the going the Nick tour, the lagoon show and the rides. I never took the back lot tour but remember the boneyard. I wasnt to fond of Universal at that point in the mid 90s, I was going thru "I want more intense rides" phase and wanted more rides than shows, Granted I was about 13-5 years old at that point also. As soon as I heard about IOA in the newspaper I couldn't wait for it to open. My first time back was the HHN right before IOA opened and didnt even recognize the place. I then went to IOA shortly after it opened and have been hooked ever since.

Big Fan

Hi, first time poster. IM Paul from Liverpool, England. I have loved reading this forum it has brought back so many brilliant memories for me!

I first went to universal Studios on a family holiday in 1994 when I was nine!. I remember Universal studios was by far my favourite park (we visited disney and sea world at the time). I loved Jaws, was terrified by king kong, blown away by earthquake and amazed by how real back to the future felt!

These are memories I will never forget! Me and my family went back in 1996, 1998, 2000 and 2002. I also travelled across USA with a friend and went to Universal and IOA in 2008. My most recent trip was last year (2011) with my cousin and his family. Therfore I think I am well placed to judge all of the changes that have gone on over the years!

I agree with most people on here who say it isnt what it used to be. Universal studios used to have a certain magic to it! Jaws, King kong, back to the future etc were like nothing else in the world. And they really werent! The problem now is that universal seems to becoming more of a theme park than a studio park!

However! (and its a big however). The catch phrase I remember from my childhood for universal was always 'ride the movies!'. So if you look at the rides thay have now, the mummy, men in black, twister, the simpsons, terminator, dispicable me, ET, harry potter (soon), you cant deny the original cathphrase still holds up!

I have hours of video from Universal studios on VHS from these years inculding full jaws ride, full king kong and most of ghostbusters (which my sister was chosen from audience as voulteer in the pre show) and earthquake. If I can find how to convert them and upload them I will.

So, I agree universal studios doesnt have the character it used to have. But you have to ask yourself, is that because I was so young on a family holiday to somewhere exotic (yes Florida was really exotic to a 9 year old Brit in 1994) and therefore im looking at it through rose tinted glasses!. Maybe it is just moving with the times and in 15 years time there will be a forum like this with people reminiscing about the mummy, rip rockit and harry potter!

Welcome to the boards, glad you could join us! I feel the same way about the park, it's definitely still my favourite place to visit, but over the years it has changed and I don't just mean the rides. I too felt that magic, it was the feeling that Universal was the only place in the world to come and see things like this. Hopefully you can convert those tapes as I'd love to see some more classic footage!

Last post in debi's pictorial history of Universal:

Part3changes001-oi-550x354.jpg

I guess I crossed the line into spamming when I posted the link to debi's final article, because the link has been removed it. I'm sorry that it was unwelcomed. I only posted it because of your guys' interest in the first two articles. Anyway, if you'd like to read the final article and see more old school Universal pictures, the post is available on our blog via our homepage.

Don't worry, I won't post anymore links.

I'm not sure they removed your link mate. I saw your post right after you posted that the third part was and there was no link then, perhaps it wasn't included to begin with.

Hi, first time poster. IM Paul from Liverpool, England. I have loved reading this forum it has brought back so many brilliant memories for me!

I first went to universal Studios on a family holiday in 1994 when I was nine!. I remember Universal studios was by far my favourite park (we visited disney and sea world at the time). I loved Jaws, was terrified by king kong, blown away by earthquake and amazed by how real back to the future felt!

These are memories I will never forget! Me and my family went back in 1996, 1998, 2000 and 2002. I also travelled across USA with a friend and went to Universal and IOA in 2008. My most recent trip was last year (2011) with my cousin and his family. Therfore I think I am well placed to judge all of the changes that have gone on over the years!

I agree with most people on here who say it isnt what it used to be. Universal studios used to have a certain magic to it! Jaws, King kong, back to the future etc were like nothing else in the world. And they really werent! The problem now is that universal seems to becoming more of a theme park than a studio park!

However! (and its a big however). The catch phrase I remember from my childhood for universal was always 'ride the movies!'. So if you look at the rides thay have now, the mummy, men in black, twister, the simpsons, terminator, dispicable me, ET, harry potter (soon), you cant deny the original cathphrase still holds up!

I have hours of video from Universal studios on VHS from these years inculding full jaws ride, full king kong and most of ghostbusters (which my sister was chosen from audience as voulteer in the pre show) and earthquake. If I can find how to convert them and upload them I will.

So, I agree universal studios doesnt have the character it used to have. But you have to ask yourself, is that because I was so young on a family holiday to somewhere exotic (yes Florida was really exotic to a 9 year old Brit in 1994) and therefore im looking at it through rose tinted glasses!. Maybe it is just moving with the times and in 15 years time there will be a forum like this with people reminiscing about the mummy, rip rockit and harry potter!

Great post and welcome.

I agree with you, and I hate to do a Disney comparison, but honestly...most people probably would agree that when Universal replaces an attraction, its almost always as good or better than the one it replaced, at least in comparison to the attractions Disney has replaced, which often get really awful attractions.

I think being young has made me miss out on the former glory of the park. I always wanted to ride bttf, but alas, it closed within a month of my first visit. I absolutely loved JAWS, the movie, the ride, and now i'm reading the book! oh how I miss the ride.

I don't even remember "The Hollywood Hi tones 50's and 60's Hits" or "Legends of the Silver Screen Autograph Session" being there.

It is kind of sad that almost none of this is there anymore, but at least the park is improving.