Oppenheimer | Inside Universal Forums

Oppenheimer

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!

Nolan's next film, Oppenheimer, has RDJ and Matt Damon in talks to join the cast of the film alongside Cillian Murphy. The film will be released at Universal Pictures for a July 21st, 2023 spot.

Saw the movie it is very well done, an interesting story with interesting characters. I think this might be Cillian Murphy best character he will ever play. Robert Downey Jr.killed it at the end of the film and honestly everyone was doing a great job playing their character.

The film is long, I just can't imagine watching it all again in one going, I think I'll break it up at home. Also the naked scenes were not needed, like at all. You could have done the same scenes with her in a blanket and it would have had the same impact story wise.

Overall, its a well done film and the first film since the Dark Knight I loved from Nolan. It was a good story to tell and hope it ends with more people in school learning about this man because I feel like I never heard much about the man behind the Atomic bomb.

The film is long, I just can't imagine watching it all again in one going, I think I'll break it up at home. Also the naked scenes were not needed, like at all. You could have done the same scenes with her in a blanket and it would have had the same impact story wise.
I was surprised to see those type of scenes in his movie. He usually doesn't add graphic scenes of these types. I agree it really wasn't necessary at all and felt forced to me.

Reactions: Freak
Christopher Nolan does, on the other hand, have a proven track record of, uh, struggling with female characters.
You couldn’t pay me enough to try and guess why the women in this movie loved the mail character

Both women seemed to some series mental issues and at least in this film, o had no idea why either would be with him personally

perhaps this didn't land for you in the same way it did for me, but at least ~in real life~ oppenheimer was known to be extremely charismatic and charming. that's part of the reason he led the los alamos project.
Yeah
The film made him, at least to me seem kinda socially awkward in the fact that people would tell him things abs he’d ignore they’re meaning like when the tester told him to take down the community stuff and he acted like he had no idea why the teacher would feel that way

It seemed like he was a more adult Sheldon from big bang at times

Saw the movie it is very well done, an interesting story with interesting characters. I think this might be Cillian Murphy best character he will ever play. Robert Downey Jr.killed it at the end of the film and honestly everyone was doing a great job playing their character.

Overall, its a well done film and the first film since the Dark Knight I loved from Nolan. It was a good story to tell and hope it ends with more people in school learning about this man because I feel like I never heard much about the man behind the Atomic bomb.
Agree with almost all your points on this (bet you never thought you would hear that from me ;)) the naked scenes in particular felt unecessarily gratuitous.

The acting in this movie was phenominal, if RDJ/Cillian don't get Oscar nominated it would be a travisty.

I loved it, and like you I hadn't heard much about Oppenheimer before hand so the way it played out both pre and post bomb were a surprise to me.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Agree with almost all your points on this (bet you never thought you would hear that from me ;)) the naked scenes in particular felt unecessarily gratuitous.

The acting in this movie was phenominal, if RDJ/Cillian don't get Oscar nominated it would be a travisty.

I loved it, and like you I hadn't heard much about Oppenheimer before hand so the way it played out both pre and post bomb were a surprise to me.
Yeah, I would like to read more about his life now.
As a get older I truly think the way I was taught in school were with roseeeeeeeee titled glasses because there is a lot of conflict here that is interesting to learn about because History is told by the victors and they never alluded to issues with the Bomb or after the bomb was made that the creator and other's had issues
nor that the government would throw a hero under the bus for some BS politics's

Reactions: Jamesh22
Yeah, I would like to read more about his life now.
As a get older I truly think the way I was taught in school were with roseeeeeeeee titled glasses because there is a lot of conflict here that is interesting to learn about because History is told by the victors and they never alluded to issues with the Bomb or after the bomb was made that the creator and other's had issues
nor that the government would throw a hero under the bus for some BS politics's
Reminded me of Alan Turing in the Imitation Game, the way that certain people, without whom we might not have won WW2, were treated is really tragic.
It's a bit different with Oppenheimer due to the nature of the horrific invention, but still really sad how he was treated, and clearly he struggled with what he had done.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Watched Oppenheimer, and I can’t stop thinking about The Trinity Test. Easily one of the best scenes I have ever scene on film; giving you just enough and not holding back in the slightest.

Reactions: belloq87
The score for the Trinity sequence is incredible, and could win Goransson another Oscar:

This and the "Can You Hear The Music" piece are genuinely phenomenal sequences in scoring. I will be genuinely pissed if Ludwig doesn't get the Oscar for this.

Can You Hear The Music in particular is a genuine standout, because of how it sparks and reacts as if it was part of the chain reaction; how it's intensity kept building up with the sound design and flow of the entire scene. It is a genuine magic moment that can't be replicated whatsoever.
__
I also loved the initial scene of him giving the speech in Los Alamos, with him realizing and contemplating the rammifications of the horror that Oppenheimer has brought to the world. Catching and gaining a glimpse of what his weapon will bring harm too; and how people will never truly recover from it.

This film in general is a genuine triumph, that I would say is on part in it's meaning and signifigance to that of the HBO Chernobyl. A look into the life and actions of Robert, and what his life turned into leading too Trinity and leading too with the indiction.

I watched this almost a month ago and I didn't realize there was a thread for this. I'll share my thoughts but better late than never. lol

I originally wanted to see this in IMAX at CityWalk with the glorious 70mm, but it was all booked up for the entire month. Decided to settle by watching it in Burbank in 70mm but without the IMAX format. Between the two, I'm glad I watched in 70mm. If you haven't seen it yet and there are still showings around your neck of the woods to watch it in old-school 70mm, I strongly recommend you watch in this format. It adds to the integrity of the period the movie is set in.

So onto the movie itself, it's a great movie. Although the editing did feel a little sporadic and quick often, it kept it from feeling too slow. It gave a great glimpse into the context of the time. The buildup to the bomb was also done very well. There was a sense of expecting the explosion but also being able to sense the dread of what was going to happen even though we knew what was going to happen. Nolan also did a great job conveying how Oppenheimer dealt with the guilt of what he had built and basically being thrown under the bus by the government. It's very dialogue-heavy, very drama-escentric, and very much a WWII drama. I think this is one of Nolan's better films. You don't need a bunch of mindless action and fancy-shamncy CGI to keep us entertained. I like the good 'ol fashioned period-drama. I want to see more films like this.

Also I will echo the naked scenes. I found that to be really unnecessary and excessive. Like Jerrod said, you could've easily put a blanket or a dress over her or something and it still wouldn't have any negative impact on the story at all. Like, c'mon.