Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 106 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, every one on this thread has been criticizing Disney for a stalled project with no details, doubting it would ever come to fruition. When they finally offer up proof and a targeted opening date, it's met with yawns and more criticism for said opening date. I swear, unless it's Universal, there's just no pleasing you people.

Personally, I think the artwork and model looks better than I was expecting, and between this and the other nighttime additions, am cautiously optimistic AK will be able to shed its "half day park" label. Just wondering how this may impact the animals.

I'm really looking forward to this, but early 2017 is a ridiculous opening date. This could be done by the end of 2015 if they started construction today.

So, every one on this thread has been criticizing Disney for a stalled project with no details, doubting it would ever come to fruition. When they finally offer up proof and a targeted opening date, it's met with yawns and more criticism for said opening date. I swear, unless it's Universal, there's just no pleasing you people.

Personally, I think the artwork and model looks better than I was expecting, and between this and the other nighttime additions, am cautiously optimistic AK will be able to shed its "half day park" label. Just wondering how this may impact the animals.

We have known about the boat ride and Soarin 2.0 for a while now so no use throwing a parade for that news. Yea it was nice to see some sort of art work finally, and it does look great but why get all excited when its still years and years away?

Busch Gardens stays open late with twice the amount of animals that AK has and don't think they have any problems with it impacting the animals.

Maybe because the project is exactly what has been rumored for almost a year, and it took them this long to announce it, and then it's still 3.5 years away?

The project will be very well done. But it's hard to get excited about stuff we've known about for months and won't see for a quarter decade.

I think the concept art looks great.

Curious why everyone is assuming the flying ride will be "soarin 2.0", we have no idea how this ride system will work. It could be a lot more exciting then what most of you are assuming. Also the boat attraction has a chance to be really amazing. Think of how great the effects and AA will be.

I think the concept art looks great.

Curious why everyone is assuming the flying ride will be "soarin 2.0", we have no idea how this ride system will work. It could be a lot more exciting then what most of you are assuming. Also the boat attraction has a chance to be really amazing. Think of how great the effects and AA will be.

I believe people have seen things that show exactly what rides systems will be used

It's a simulator. It'll have a bigger range of motion than Soarin, but it is a simulator.

And from what I hear it involves over-the-shoulder restraints. If Cameron is involved in the film portion of the ride, it could be interesting. People can say what they will about Avatar, but the flying sequences were thrilling in 3D.

But yeah, Soarin' type system, only inverted so that the ride controls/arms are beneath you, giving a greater range of motion.

This will be a hoot when Cameron tells Disney over and over again that they cannot cut anything that is on the drawing board. That boat ride alone will suck Disney dry.

I think the boat ride concept art has people dreaming a bit more than they should. On all internal documentation it's described as a "C-ticket".

Don't go expecting a Pirates-level attraction.

I think the boat ride concept art has people dreaming a bit more than they should. On all internal documentation it's described as a "C-ticket".

If this is the case, then Disney should never have released that one conceptual painting. It harks of Seaworld and their Antarctica concept art.

On another note, is there any info on the flying ride tech? I would think a multi balcony multi Kuka system would work very well.

The boat ride really has the ability to be amazing...but yeah most likely the "money" is going
To the flying flagship ride. The boat ride will most likely be the stepchild

I go to Disney a lot, I like it, and I defend it sometimes. I even think I will like NextGen and many know i have taken a wait and see approach vs. a bash it approach. However, I agree with others on this one. It was announced how many years ago and we are just now getting artwork, no ground breaking in site (LK still needs to be moved) and the date is 2017. That is 4 years away, don't get me wrong, I expected this late of a date based on everything I have heard about the project, but you have to admit, it is pretty lame it has taken this long.

Now I will say the artwork looks cool and the night time prospects look good. But think about this, I could get pregnant, have a kid, and the kid be tall enough to ride the soarin 2.0 ride by the time they build this thing :lol:

I've been a supporter of this land, much moreso than most since it was announced. But it's funny. It's like DAK's version of The Land Pavilion. Flying ride, Boat ride, merch and likely sit down and counter service options as well. Am I off-base in this comparison? The similarities seem very apparent to me.

I know it's been labeled as a C-ticket, but the sheer scope and wide range of what is seen in the concept art easily makes it seem like a D-ticket. Obviously we don't know much about the ride though. But just based on the concept art, i'm more excited for that ride than 7DMT, which many are saying will be a D (although I sort of have my doubts seeing the track... I think it'll be a high C).

Also, Martin has stated over at MAGIC that it is a D (with Soarin 2.0 being a wannabe E). Oh, and he also said there's a 3rd E-ticket still in limbo, which he called "the big E".

Last edited:
I think the land looks great and is exactly what AK needs, but 2017? Wow kinda surprised by that, in my field we rush, sometimes for the detriment, to get things to market. I didn't see anything ground breaking in terms of technology, so I am surprised for the long development time. But at least it looks pretty cool.

I shelled out a grand for my a Disney passes in this household... Gosh I must really hate them big time :horse:

Status
Not open for further replies.