Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 121 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I was actually shocked when I saw those new pics the other day on magic. All of those foundations mean that all the sewer, water, electric and goodness knows what underground has already been laid. Tons of time goes into locking down and building the infrastructure. Call me impressed.

Oh yeah,

And I am super happy to hear of the multiple level load above. Hopefully the capacity will be far greater than the wicked cool but deadly slow Soarin launch system.
Speaking towards the multi-level loading system teebs, this is what we are believed to be getting as far as ride system goes: http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator

^ Wild that on that site the ride looks as if it has been constructed somewhere, yet there is no video. I wonder if for load, the seats turn 180 degrees facing a narrow load corridor. That would be very cool if so, and a different effect from Soarin in that you would have no idea what to expect. On Soarin, you know where the screen is, just not that you are going to be raised into it.

Electronic seat belts would also speed up the load so that operators could easily see that all were fastened (via lights, like Dinosaur). I recall that Soarin's belts are kinda pissy, like Dumbo.

^ Wild that on that site the ride looks as if it has been constructed somewhere, yet there is no video. I wonder if for load, the seats turn 180 degrees facing a narrow load corridor. That would be very cool if so, and a different effect from Soarin in that you would have no idea what to expect. On Soarin, you know where the screen is, just not that you are going to be raised into it.

Electronic seat belts would also speed up the load so that operators could easily see that all were fastened (via lights, like Dinosaur). I recall that Soarin's belts are kinda pissy, like Dumbo.
Also, regarding capacity, it mentions 900 per hour on the site and they are building 4 theaters. So that could be as much as 3600 per hour if all theaters are being used. Of course it does mention that it depends on film duration, but I can't imagine it being too much longer than Soarin'.

Either way, this thing will be a people eater.

Last edited:
Also, regarding capacity, it mentions 900 per hour on the site and they are building 4 theaters. So that could be as much as 3600 per hour if all theaters are being used. Of course it does mention that it depends on film duration, but I can't imagine it being too much longer than Soarin'.

Either way, this thing will be a people eater.

Animal Kingdom needs people eater attractions due to the lack of FP+ Options. I'd expect to see the boat ride, Soarin style ride, and world of color east to greatly expand fast pass offerings in park and their capacities are taking this into consideration.

On a 12 hour operating day Avatar and WOCE could generate as many as 25000 FP's to a park that struggles with this system.

Animal Kingdom needs people eater attractions due to the lack of FP+ Options. I'd expect to see the boat ride, Soarin style ride, and world of color east to greatly expand fast pass offerings in park and their capacities are taking this into consideration.

On a 12 hour operating day Avatar and WOCE could generate as many as 25000 FP's to a park that struggles with this system.
Oh definitely. DAK actually currently is one of only two parks NOT using tiers at the moment (although I know it still struggles because of ride capacity), but the end goal is to completely eliminate tiers in all parks, which is part of the reason we are seeing extra tracks/theaters being added to TSMM and Soarin'.

Well, if we can trust Cameron the storylines of Avatar 2, 3 and 4 are going to be "bitchin" and "You will **** yourself with your mouth wide open" (source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42852)
That makes me a bit scarred about riding a soarin type ride with people sitting above you at Avatarland. Also not sure if it'll fit Disney.

And Tim Allen used to be a cokehead and Matthew Broderick was part of a vehicular manslaughter. I do agree that Avatar isnt the best fit for Disney but I mean come on, what the people behind the scenes do has no impact on the film itself, much less the attractions based on them.

October 2014:

November 2014:
avatar-land-disneys-animal-kingdom-6.jpg

There are rumors that they have gone vertical in multiple areas of the site within the past few days as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenstar
Thats one big project. I know it has been in for a lot of bashing but AL has real potential in my eyes.

Nice to see the Disney ringing the changes at AK, should be a totally different park in a few years time.Just to be able to visit at night time will be a plus too, the ambience is fabulous after dark.

There's still a lot of design work going on. In all honesty it's very possible for another delay. Again, take a grain of salt.

There's still a lot of design work going on. In all honesty it's very possible for another delay. Again, take a grain of salt.
Take what with a grain of salt? This info your trying to put out or the project? Because I highly doubt a project that is already underway this far should be in doubt.

Oh, you mean as with nearly every construction project? :doh: Even today in the King Kong thread there's a small misinterpretation of design and that thing is further along than Avatar. I was surprised at the overwhelmingly negative attitude toward this project when I first saw this thread but now making completely normal facts that are hardly even worth mentioning out to be negative is just getting a little ridiculous.

Reactions: Nick
Oh, you mean as with nearly every construction project? :doh: Even today in the King Kong thread there's a small misinterpretation of design and that thing is further along than Avatar. I was surprised at the overwhelmingly negative attitude toward this project when I first saw this thread but now making completely normal facts that are hardly even worth mentioning out to be negative is just getting a little ridiculous.
Exactly.

The unwarranted negativity towards this project is getting old. Yes, Disney F'd up by announcing the land so early. Yes, Disney and Cameron had a bit of a hard time agreeing on things during the development process.

By announcing it so early, it makes it seem like it's taking much longer than it really is, which, as I said, is where they screwed up. R&D normally takes at the very least a few years, and less than two years of R&D for a project is warp speed for Disney. There was pretty much nothing done in terms of R&D when this was announced.

Construction started early on this year, so if it opens in 2017, that will be 3-3.5 years for an entire immersive land. Compare that to the construction timeline of SDMT, which took 33 months to build, or just under 3 years. Comparatively, we are getting much more here for just about the same amount of build time.

Status
Not open for further replies.