Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
disneyparksblog.png

James Cameron Gets Further Inspiration at Disneyland Resort

cameronteamatcarsland01.jpg

On Friday, legendary film director James Cameron and fellow Lightstorm Entertainment production partner Jon Landau toured the Cars Land expansion site at Disney California Adventure park, accompanied by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and a team from Walt Disney Imagineering.

cameronteamatcarsland02.jpg

While there are no immediate plans for an AVATAR-themed land at the “Happiest Place on Earth,” Cameron and Landau used the visit as inspiration and to further familiarize themselves with the immersive Disney Parks experience as their team begins design work on the first AVATAR-themed land set to open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

The team studied the details and storytelling elements in the 12-acre world of Radiator Springs that will open at Disney California Adventure park in summer 2012, before touring other parts of the Disneyland Resort.

Source: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ampaign=Feed:+DisneyParks+(Disney+Parks+Blog)

This is cool, but methinks it also confirms something about the project that we had all been speculating on : they have little to no grasp on the details. Cameron hitting up AK, WWoHP, AND Cars Land to "immerse himself in the details of the parks" just seems rather strange if they have a set plan for the park already.

This is cool, but methinks it also confirms something about the project that we had all been speculating on : they have little to no grasp on the details. Cameron hitting up AK, WWoHP, AND Cars Land to "immerse himself in the details of the parks" just seems rather strange if they have a set plan for the park already.

I find it odd that Cameron was this oblivious about the theme park world before making such a big business decision.

Cameron shouldn't theoretically be aloof to the theme park industry. He did write and direct the most expensive movie ever made (per minute of film), and did it in collaboration with a theme park. There's something quite strange about this arrangement. It is possible that Cameron wants more control over this than Rowling had over WWoHP. It seems to me that he agreed to do this as long as he could be the main hand in designing it, which is why we have no concept art whatsoever or even a budget. It would also explain why Cameron is visiting every important park under the sun learning the "details" of the industry.

I know this will probably be an unpopular statement, so I'm separating it from the rest of my thoughts.

Cameron is an egomaniac. Straight-up. I have heard numerous tales of Cameron's self-congratulations and ego. He even admits that Titanic and Avatar were made in order to "change" the industry, to revolutionize it. Kate Winslett has said she would never work with him again, and DiCaprio has recently given him some rather backhanded compliments about his perfectionism. I can completely see him forcing WDI's hand to give him more power than would normally be given to directors. As if WDI had "learned" a lesson from WWoHP and not wanting to lose another property were way more accommodating than before. Of course, this is all just speculation on my part.

Reactions: BJCool
Cameron is an egomaniac. Straight-up. I have heard numerous tales of Cameron's self-congratulations and ego. He even admits that Titanic and Avatar were made in order to "change" the industry, to revolutionize it. Kate Winslett has said she would never work with him again, and DiCaprio has recently given him some rather backhanded compliments about his perfectionism. I can completely see him forcing WDI's hand to give him more power than would normally be given to directors. As if WDI had "learned" a lesson from WWoHP and not wanting to lose another property were way more accommodating than before. Of course, this is all just speculation on my part.

Sounds spot-on to me!

By obvious, I just mean isn't touring what the parks have to offer today something you do BEFORE you sign on the dotted line for anything?

By obvious, I just mean isn't touring what the parks have to offer today something you do BEFORE you sign on the dotted line for anything?

Exactly. Which is why I think that this isn't simply touring to see what Disney has to offer. This seems to be more in-depth about the actual process, which implies that he wants to get his hands really, really dirty on this project. He wants to be in charge.

And thanks to him, Avatarland could very well revolutionize the theme park industry when it opens in 5 years. Unless WWOHP already did that and it's impossible to revolutionize it twice.. lol

And thanks to him, Avatarland could very well revolutionize the theme park industry when it opens in 5 years. Unless WWOHP already did that and it's impossible to revolutionize it twice.. lol

I never thought of WWoHP as "revolutionary." It has a fancy, new ride system and pretty setting but that's as far as I would go. Likewise, Pandora is sure to churn out a neato ride or two and gorgeous atmosphere, but I don't see anything revolutionary about that either...

Last edited:
^^^Yea, at this point there's not much that can really "revolutionize" the aspect of a land.

That being said, the amount of merchandise content created specifically for WW was pretty unheard of.

I disagree. If other parks are following suit by making new lands out of billion-dollar grossing film properties, handing further control to its creators than ever before, and even opening taverns with their own faux beer product, I'd say the WWOHP has done something revolutionary. There's a reason why the suits and engineers have taken tours of WWOHP while creating their own Cars Land and Avatarland.

I disagree. If other parks are following suit by making new lands out of billion-dollar grossing film properties, handing further control to its creators than ever before, and even opening taverns with their own faux beer product, I'd say the WWOHP has done something revolutionary. There's a reason why the suits and engineers have taken tours of WWOHP while creating their own Cars Land and Avatarland.

A ride and walk-through atmosphere of film properties isn't revolutionary. It's Star Tours with a restaurant. Pushing a preexisting concept a little further isn't a revolution.

The argument re:'revolutionary' is somewhat pointless because first one has to decide, "what is revolutionary?". There is a good chance that no one will agree exactly with what another might consider it to be.

However, if you insist on using it, please use the following in your thinking:

1. of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change: a revolutionary junta.

2. radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.

A ride and walk-through atmosphere of film properties isn't revolutionary. It's Star Tours with a restaurant. Pushing a preexisting concept a little further isn't a revolution.

Guests routinely waiting to enter shops is revolutionary. The amount of depth Potter contains in its merchandise & dining is revolutionary. The Forbidden Journey ride system (and subsequently how close guests get to the set pieces) is revolutionary.

Guests routinely waiting to enter shops is revolutionary. The amount of depth Potter contains in its merchandise & dining is revolutionary. The Forbidden Journey ride system (and subsequently how close guests get to the set pieces) is revolutionary.

Long lines and interactive queues are not revolutionary. The ride system is new, yes, but revolutionary? I think the word implies grander things than pushing preexisting concepts.

Long lines and interactive queues are not revolutionary. The ride system is new, yes, but revolutionary? I think the word implies grander things than pushing preexisting concepts.

You're missing the point. Guests are willing to wait in a line to enter a SHOP. That's something that's never been seen outside of very specific niche merchandising events. Say what you will about capacity, which is no doubt a problem, but the fact that guests are willing to wait in any line to "maybe" buy something is incredible. It's obviously a testament to the quality of the merchandising and the land as a whole - the illusion of being completely immersed in the Wizarding World is rarely broken, even by things as simple as credit card bills or receipts.

As for the ride system... if you read my initial post again you'll see what I'm stressing is the proximity of the guest to the experience. Before there's always been clearance issues that keeps the characters and environments a safe distance from riders... that proximity has now been reduced, significantly. It's terrifying for many first timers how close we get to the dragon, Aragog, and the Dementors because we as guests have never expected these beasts to ever come so close to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.