Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear, that was patented back in 2010. Not saying that something similar wouldn't be used in Avatar, but this was patented well before Avatar at DAK was even considered.

??????

There's no way that will happen. That's a like a Potter fan saying Universal will add a broom flying simulator.

One of those fancy copters would be doable, though.

There would need to be about 500 Of those in the building the size of a LARGE sports arena for something like that to ever be a good experience and have decent capacity...

Tonight DAK Cast members were treated to a special free showing of Avatar 3D (compliments of Star Tours' glasses) held in the old animation building backstage at Hollywood Studios. It was neat. No real details were revealed but they mentioned Animal Kingdom's message that is shown in the inaugural plaque at Oasis,

"Welcome to the kingdom of animals…real, ancient and imagined
a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons;
a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival;
a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder,
gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama
and learn."

They felt Animal Kingdom has, to a rather extensive degree, explored both the "real" and "ancient" but had yet to really delve into the imaginary sort, which they plan to address with Avatar. They then went on to describe how Avatar also carries the message of conservation, yadda yadda. So really nothing we didn't already assume. There was mention of a new E-Ticket ride but that's exactly how vague it was. In short, Pandora at DAK is in its "Blue Skies" phase and the limited 3D showing was just Disney's way of showing it's workers the treat they are in for. I love Disney treats.

Tonight DAK Cast members were treated to a special free showing of Avatar 3D (compliments of Star Tours' glasses) held in the old animation building backstage at Hollywood Studios. It was neat. No real details were revealed but they mentioned Animal Kingdom's message that is shown in the inaugural plaque at Oasis,

"Welcome to the kingdom of animals…real, ancient and imagined
a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons;
a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival;
a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder,
gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama
and learn."

They felt Animal Kingdom has, to a rather extensive degree, explored both the "real" and "ancient" but had yet to really delve into the imaginary sort, which they plan to address with Avatar. They then went on to describe how Avatar also carries the message of conservation, yadda yadda. So really nothing we didn't already assume. There was mention of a new E-Ticket ride but that's exactly how vague it was. In short, Pandora at DAK is in its "Blue Skies" phase and the limited 3D showing was just Disney's way of showing it's workers the treat they are in for. I love Disney treats.

Hmm. Very interesting. Blue Sky phase... pretty much confirms my hunch that Cameron was circling the parks because they had no firm plans.

Hmm. Very interesting. Blue Sky phase... pretty much confirms my hunch that Cameron was circling the parks because they had no firm plans.

I think it was more to learn about the people he would be working with and to observe the recreated natural environment's Disney's created to make sure he picked the right pony to represent his franchise. All of the pictures in the pre-movie slide was of him meeting with all the bigwigs at DAK. For what it's worth, he and his team seemed rather pleased.

I think it was more to learn about the people he would be working with and to observe the recreated natural environment's Disney's created to make sure he picked the right pony to represent his franchise. All of the pictures in the pre-movie slide was of him meeting with all the bigwigs at DAK. For what it's worth, he and his team seemed rather pleased.

I would say you were right, but he was making the rounds after he had already signed with Disney, why would you be making sure you picked the right person after you have already made the deal? Plus, he wasn't just visiting Disney, but also touring WWoHP, as well. At the time, I had speculated that there were no firm plans and that this tour was to get him caught up really fast on the theme park industry in order to have an extremely hands on approach.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I would say you were right, but he was making the rounds after he had already signed with Disney, why would you be making sure you picked the right person after you have already made the deal? Plus, he wasn't just visiting Disney, but also touring WWoHP, as well. At the time, I had speculated that there were no firm plans and that this tour was to get him caught up really fast on the theme park industry in order to have an extremely hands on approach.

All the pictures they showed was just getting acquainted with the Disney team over the course of three days. All of his pictures at DAK were on jungle treks and being with animals. He wasn't really scoping out the rides at all. I'm assuming they have con concepts already but haven't decided on any particular one. It's possible part of the tour was to figure out which section of DAK he would be granted for Pandora?

All the pictures they showed was just getting acquainted with the Disney team over the course of three days. All of his pictures at DAK were on jungle treks and being with animals. He wasn't really scoping out the rides at all. I'm assuming they have con concepts already but haven't decided on any particular one. It's possible part of the tour was to figure out which section of DAK he would be granted for Pandora?

He took a hardhat tour of Cars Land and a tour of WWoHP as well. To fly from one side of the country to the other to get to know your team members is a little much, especially when those folks are knee deep in the busiest part of construction for an already over-budget (by a couple hundred mil) project. I'm sure they have some concepts, but I also think those concepts are barely in the earliest stages and that Cameron's tours were part of a crash-course in theme park design. As I've said before, I think he wants to have unprecedented control over the design.

There might be a wrench in the Avatar lands if Cameron loses this lawsuit

James Cameron
Sued for More than $2.5 BILLION
Over 'Avatar'

Turns out every sci-fi nerd on the planet had the idea for "Avatar" before James Cameron -- because the director is now being sued AGAIN for allegedly stealing the concept for the movie ... this time for more than $2 bil.

Bryant Moore -- a science fiction writer not-famous for his screenplays "Aquatica" and "Descendants: The Pollination" -- claims Cameron used the two screenplays as the basis for "Avatar."

In his lawsuit, Moore points out various similarities, including bioluminescent flora/plant life, unbreathable atmospheres, matriarch support of hero vs. heroine, spiritual connections to environment and reincarnation, appearance of mist in scene, sunlight to moonlight, crackling from gargantuan foliage, blue skin/green skin and battle scene on limbs/branches.

Moore is also going after 20th Century Fox and Cameron's production company. He wants more than $1.5 billion in actual damages and more than $1 bil in punitives.

"Avatar" raked in more than $2.78 billion worldwide.

In his lawsuit, Moore points out various similarities, including bioluminescent flora/plant life, unbreathable atmospheres, matriarch support of hero vs. heroine, spiritual connections to environment and reincarnation, appearance of mist in scene, sunlight to moonlight, crackling from gargantuan foliage, blue skin/green skin and battle scene on limbs/branches.

Sounds like Native Americans and Ancient Greeks have a better claim to much of these CLASSIC and AGE OLD ideas. This will go NOWHERE. Silly.

"In his lawsuit, Moore points out various similarities, including bioluminescent flora/plant life, unbreathable atmospheres, matriarch support of hero vs. heroine, spiritual connections to environment and reincarnation, appearance of mist in scene, sunlight to moonlight, crackling from gargantuan foliage, blue skin/green skin and battle scene on limbs/branches."

"Appearance of mist in scene...?

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Status
Not open for further replies.