Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 273 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not necessarily the point. It's an extremely unattractive building to be one of the first things you see as you round the corner into the parking lot.
Meh, you are on a huge patch of concrete/blacktop with thousands of cars around you. If that doesn't kill the theme, seeing a big building isn't going to either.

Reactions: rioriz and SkiBum
That's not necessarily the point. It's an extremely unattractive building to be one of the first things you see as you round the corner into the parking lot.

"You're going to need a bigger berm"

Seconding what was also posted, does seeing that building change how you feel inside the park. I park the car, surrounded by a lot of North American vehicles and driving rules, and am focused on just getting inside the park. Once there, I then begin focusing on my surroundings. I'm probably the killjoy on this as I enjoy the immersive quality but enjoy the rides even more so. Plus, it is too expensive to try and eliminate all sightlines, especially outside the park. Bang for the buck, as it were. Knowing Disney, that would have cost another $300M.

Question- this "billion dollar" number we keep hearing- is that just pandora- or is that all the changes in the last 3 years?
Tiffins?
RoL show and Seating?
Flame Tree Seating Expansion?
Expanded walkways in discovery island?
Larger storefront in discovery island?
New Starbucks?
Flights of wonder redone building?
2 new Kiosks?
Harambe Expandion with Restaurants?
Nighttime offerings in Harambe/Asia/Tree of Life?

Because if all of that is included, I think it changes the ROI talk quite a bit. Pandora is just the culimination of two and a half years of changes since 2014 that when looked at as a whole is massive.

Last edited:
Question- this "billion dollar" number we keep hearing- is that just pandora- or is that all the changes in the last 3 years?
Tiffins?
RoL show and Seating?
Flame Tree Seating Expansion?
Expanded walkways in discovery island?
Larger storefront in discovery island?
New Starbucks?
Flights of wonder redone building?
2 new Kiosks?
Harambe Expandion with Restaurants?
Nighttime offerings in Harambe/Asia/Tree of Life?

Because if all of that is included, I think it changes the ROI talk quite a bit. Pandora is just the culimination of two and a half years of changes since 2014 that when looked at as a whole is massive.

My understanding is it cost a little over a billion dollars for Pandora and RoL alone.

My main concern with the berm is that it's so obvious from the bus loop and yet doesn't hide the building well at all, even if you factor in more tree growth.

I really don't care what I see outside of the park, as long as I don't see outside from the inside.
Yes. As I've said before Pandora is completely hidden from the entire park after you enter the Oasis. Only the tops of floating mountains are visible from turnstiles. The fact that nothing is visible even from Africa is nothing short of amazing.

And they're bringing in very tall trees to add to the berm, more every week, so that should help block things a lot. Plus, these trees will grow bigger over time.

Also, keep in mind that they may be planning on planting more foliage closer to the back of the show building after construction ends, just cannot yet to remain accessible.

My understanding is it cost a little over a billion dollars for Pandora and RoL alone.
But we really don't know, right? I mean- budget numbers are always some of the most suspect stuff thrown out there because no one really knows the scope of what those numbers entail- it's typically just wild speculation. I would find it hard to believe they made a separate budget strictly for Tiffins, for example. There are some educated guesses involved in it- but we don't have that type of insider on any forum anywhere...

But what we do know are the changes we have seen since mid-2014- and that has to make a difference into the perception of the park. It was all pre-emptively done to handle the additional crowds from Pandora. So beyond the barracks QS- we got Harambe, Tiffins, expanded Flame Tree, and 2 extra Kiosks as well just for dining in the last 2 years. So while they might not recoup at the barracks- when you take into account the others- it starts adding up.

Last edited:
But we really don't know, right? I mean- budget numbers are always some of the most suspect stuff thrown out there because no one really knows the scope of what those numbers entail- it's typically just wild speculation. I would find it hard to believe they made a separate budget strictly for Tiffins, for example. There are some educated guesses involved in it- but we don't have that type of insider on any forum anywhere...

But what we do know are the changes we have seen since mid-2014- and that has to make a difference into the perception of the park. Pandora is just the cherry on top.
correct

But what we do know are the changes we have seen since mid-2014- and that has to make a difference into the perception of the park. It was all pre-emptively done to handle the additional crowds from Pandora. So beyond the barracks QS- we got Harambe, Tiffins, expanded Flame Tree, and 2 extra Kiosks as well just for dining in the last 2 years. So while they might not recoup at the barracks- when you take into account the others- it starts adding up.

The person who told me this information said Pandora plus RoL cost a little over one billion. Nothing about any other changes or additions (nighttime safari, Tiffins, Harambe, etc) and I suspect those are budgeted and justified separate.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The person who told me this information said Pandora plus RoL cost a little over one billion. Nothing about any other changes or additions (nighttime safari, Tiffins, Harambe, etc) and I suspect those are budgeted and justified separate.
Makes sense. I also wonder if the relocation of FotLK was part of the prep cost for Pandora or justified by the new theater and location inside Africa.

Reactions: Nick
I really hope the $1B figure isn't true seeing as it seems a whole lot of money for not too many new experiences. It's all well and good putting in some mountains but if they have really spent so much on 2 extra attractions, a shop, a restaurant and a less than well received show I have to wonder, where else could this money have been spent more effectively and for overall a more appealing addition, as everyone I know of sees Avatar as a bit of a dead brand at this point.

That being said I still think Pandora will look amazing, but I've got to admit I have my doubts to if it's worth it...

Reactions: Mad Dog
I really hope the $1B figure isn't true seeing as it seems a whole lot of money for not too many new experiences. It's all well and good putting in some mountains but if they have really spent so much on 2 extra attractions, a shop, a restaurant and a less than well received show I have to wonder, where else could this money have been spent more effectively and for overall a more appealing addition, as everyone I know of sees Avatar as a bit of a dead brand at this point.

That being said I still think Pandora will look amazing, but I've got to admit I have my doubts to if it's worth it...
That kind of sums up the discussions, cons & pros, of the last fifty pages. :) :thumbsup: ...We're watching & awaiting the outcome :popcorn:

My understanding is that much of what you see via VisitPandora is CGI or composite imagery.

(And it helps that the contrast on my monitor is high enough to be able to see the faint false shadow created by the overlay process.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.