Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Spirit:

OK, checked with a Spirited source this morning and Avatarland isn't dead ... yet. It seems to be a matter of when, not if.

Disney and Cameron have a distinct difference of opinion over how this should be done and, more importantly, how much it should cost. And because of the strange new world the movie showcases, turning this into a theme park world that isn't all screens (something Cameron put his foot down early as WDI did want a second generation Soarin where you flew on one of those dragon-creatures over and through and around Pandora as the highlight E-Ticket experience of the land) has proven very problematic.

Disney is also aware the general public (not simply crazy Disney fans who post on sites like this) gave a collective yawn to the announcement AND the two new films are behind schedule by quite a bit and knowing the perfectionist that Cameron is may be delayed by quite a while, giving Disney nothing in the pop culture of the times to play off of when the imaginary land opens.

I was told if they take this off life support to not expect any announcement 'if they can help it' ... that it will quietly be taken off the slate of working projects and hopefully no one will ask any questions.

So, I guess you can say it isn't dead ... but it's like a dying hanging upside down tree that no one is nurturing at this point ... and that fanbois want to see cut down so they can get a better view of Wishes and a fiberglass castle!

So I know this was a rushed announcement and deal and whatever, but isn't something like the general plan for the land and the estimated cost something you agree on BEFORE you sign the deal?

So I know this was a rushed announcement and deal and whatever, but isn't something like the general plan for the land and the estimated cost something you agree on BEFORE you sign the deal?

This thing was completely rushed. When they made a presentation to Cameron they had a few pieces of concept art, and that's about it. No solid plan in mind.

This thing was completely rushed. When they made a presentation to Cameron they had a few pieces of concept art, and that's about it. No solid plan in mind.

I just don't get it. They had to have mentioned using screens in the presentation. I'm sure whatever they showed isn't something you could accomplish in the real world.

Not always. Sometimes when licensing IP you present a general plan, a proposal of what you want to do with the IP. However this deal seemed very high level and general. And because of that, I am sure it was a revenue share or something of that nature, so it might be that Disney might not have put any money down up front, but they may have to pay a "divorce fee" if they back out.

I just don't get it. They had to have mentioned using screens in the presentation. I'm sure whatever they showed isn't something you could accomplish in the real world.

I'm sure they just wanted a deal done. Cameron probably turned around and said "This is what I want", WDI went and checked it out and said "Way too much money"

Also, the project apparently had little support in the company outside from a few. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a little feet dragging going on in WDI.

I'm also sure that Joe Rohde wouldn't want his baby smeared and defaced by bringing in a non Disney franchise to the park as a huge addition.

I'm also sure that Joe Rohde wouldn't want his baby smeared and defaced by bringing in a non Disney franchise to the park as a huge addition.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't all that happy with the idea, especially when he put together some great concepts like Beastly Kingdomme and a retooled Mysterious Island.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't all that happy with the idea, especially when he put together some great concepts like Beastly Kingdomme and a retooled Mysterious Island.

And probably a ton of other concepts (we'll never hear about) as well. Had to suck working on a stupid DVC hotel instead.

I heard a rumor that Cameron is retiring from film making altogether and is joining the CIA.

*hides in corner to see if anyone gets Peyton Hillis joke*

Been saying it for years and still being got my fingers crossed but Disney shoudl just play it smart and bring your greatest dark ride creation to date to Orlando. Journey to the Center of the Earth.

That would easily put AK at the top of my parks. Let's get a whole Vernian Cap Nemo thing going on please.

Status
Not open for further replies.